8 on bus hurt as it rams building

Trainspotter

8 on bus hurt as it rams building

A city bus smashed into an abandoned Queens building Sunday night after the driver swerved to avoid hitting a child who had darted into the street, cops said.

Eight people on the bus suffered minor injuries when the driver veered onto the sidewalk and into the side of the building off Beach Channel Drive, at Beach 44th St., in the Rockaways, cops said.

The driver told police the child suddenly ran into the street just before 8 p.m. and he lost control as he tried to avoid a collision, cops said.

The child was not injured, and the bus passengers mainly suffered bumps and bruises, authorities said.

From: nydailynews_logo.gificon_offsite.png - June 2, 2008

Sounds like a Q22. Glad to hear everyone came out alright.

I as well am glad everyone is ok. It's definitely the Q22. I'm trying to find out what bus it was so I can report it to Ray. Most likely a 9700 series RTS, as not to many hybrids work the 22. Whatever it was, this is a bad time to be pulling buses from service.

I as well am glad everyone is ok. It's definitely the Q22. I'm trying to find out what bus it was so I can report it to Ray. Most likely a 9700 series RTS, as not to many hybrids work the 22. Whatever it was, this is a bad time to be pulling buses from service.

the 22 use alot of hybrids.

I feel for the driver. The bosses will put them through the ringer. Did you see the child before they darted into the street? Did you notice people on the sidewalk? Why didn't you cover your brakes, and reduce your speed? Did you see the child playing on the sidewalk? Didn't we teach you when driving near children they do unpredictable things? What actions did you take, when you noticed the child running around on the sidewalk near the curb?

Let me stop. I'm starting to sound like a Superintendent now.........

(MTA)He is right. I remember driving in Riverdale when a lady from the south bound lane swerved completely over into my northbound , 1 lane only lane! My eyes just about popped out of my head. I had a loaded bus from rush hour, going about 25 miles an hour, (maby less since we were going uphill and some of these buses groan going up) I couldnt slam on the brakes(though my foot wanted to) so I started slowing up, flashing my high beams and blowing my horn at her, at the same time telling people to really hold on just in case. At the VERY last minute this idiot wakes up and swerves onto her lane again, however she still hits the bus. She hit us so hard that her left side mirror was lodged into the bus- noone could get it out, her whole side was totally demolished. I ran out asked her how she was doing. She had blood coming out her nose and tells me she is ok and is going to keep on!!! Fortunately I and a bicyclist(who turned out to be a doctor) convinced her to stay put for the ambulance. I called control told them what happened and what I needed while at the same time flagging down my follower to put passengers on his bus while asking for people to leave their name and number if they wittnessed the incident! As my passengers were leaving they gave me business cards!!!:D I collected six of them. Meanwhile control is giving me a hard time because I am not giving him enough details of what happened. Hey I aint no rookie, i know this conversation is being recorded and was being very careful on what I told him. He harrassed me so badly and rudely that i told him that "this conversation is over send me a super now". I was soooooo upset at this guy I started getting an asthma attack!! No joke , no faking this. I ended up in the hospital for treatment of asthma that is how bad it got. Me and the super knew each other for a very long time and got along great. I put a formal complaint in on the guy from control. Never heard anything back just that he is known to do things like that. If that was a driver we would have been fired or at least suspended. At the time of the hearing boy did they grill me on this case. Did you do this , did you do that. I said i did everything but dance the jig!!! I also kept up with the case and found out she was charged with dui, and this was not her first time. With my witness , the way I wrote and spoke in the hearing saved my little behind from managements mighty rath!!!!(NYCT)B)

(MTA)He is right. I remember driving in Riverdale when a lady from the south bound lane swerved completely over into my northbound , 1 lane only lane! My eyes just about popped out of my head. I had a loaded bus from rush hour, going about 25 miles an hour, (maby less since we were going uphill and some of these buses groan going up) I couldnt slam on the brakes(though my foot wanted to) so I started slowing up, flashing my high beams and blowing my horn at her, at the same time telling people to really hold on just in case. At the VERY last minute this idiot wakes up and swerves onto her lane again, however she still hits the bus. She hit us so hard that her left side mirror was lodged into the bus- noone could get it out, her whole side was totally demolished. I ran out asked her how she was doing. She had blood coming out her nose and tells me she is ok and is going to keep on!!! Fortunately I and a bicyclist(who turned out to be a doctor) convinced her to stay put for the ambulance. I called control told them what happened and what I needed while at the same time flagging down my follower to put passengers on his bus while asking for people to leave their name and number if they wittnessed the incident! As my passengers were leaving they gave me business cards!!!:D I collected six of them. Meanwhile control is giving me a hard time because I am not giving him enough details of what happened. Hey I aint no rookie, i know this conversation is being recorded and was being very careful on what I told him. He harrassed me so badly and rudely that i told him that "this conversation is over send me a super now". I was soooooo upset at this guy I started getting an asthma attack!! No joke , no faking this. I ended up in the hospital for treatment of asthma that is how bad it got. Me and the super knew each other for a very long time and got along great. I put a formal complaint in on the guy from control. Never heard anything back just that he is known to do things like that. If that was a driver we would have been fired or at least suspended. At the time of the hearing boy did they grill me on this case. Did you do this , did you do that. I said i did everything but dance the jig!!! I also kept up with the case and found out she was charged with dui, and this was not her first time. With my witness , the way I wrote and spoke in the hearing saved my little behind from managements mighty rath!!!!(NYCT)B)

Soon as DUI came up, MTA should have told her so suck their big blue b@lls.... NYS needs laws that protect drivers, and operators from lawsuits from people and their families, if it is found they were under the influence of any substance they shouldn't be using while or prior to driving........

As for calling in an accident, we already were told by the union, just state their was an accident, and help is needed. You don't need to give details to anyone, but the police. This is when a union rep shows up (as you know we do have the right to request one to show up on the scene)......

Yeah Union reps are great during the day, try doing that late at night, it's like russian roulette. It better be a major incident for them to show up. As for my accident I had someone from the union hall show up - but then again it may have been because I had their cell #. On regualar accidents they never show up, and I think alot of these rookies should be represented at night. I cant even begin to tell you how many hang themselves with their own words. There are hardly any senior men to give them advise or union guys to explain the whole process to them....

Yeah Union reps are great during the day, try doing that late at night, it's like russian roulette. It better be a major incident for them to show up. As for my accident I had someone from the union hall show up - but then again it may have been because I had their cell #. On regualar accidents they never show up, and I think alot of these rookies should be represented at night. I cant even begin to tell you how many hang themselves with their own words. There are hardly any senior men to give them advise or union guys to explain the whole process to them....

Union = give me your money............

Archived