Question about training

FutureBusman

Hey guys, I report to Zerega on Aug 15th at 7am. To my understanding it will be an 8 hour day. Class on that day ends 3pm or 4 pm. My question is when i'm assigned to a depot to do my 10 days of instruction training will it always be at 7am, or at different times depending on where I go? The reason why I'm asking is that I am currently attending summer session of school.Classes start at 6pm. Would training affect my classes? After this semester I plan to switch to online classes. Easier that way.

Oh okay. Thanks. Yeah i'd like to get an instructor from 6pm to 2 pm. That would be great.

Bro it all depends on what depot they will have you report to. I had ppl in my class that had to report at 10am till 6pm. Also where ever they send you for training thats pretty much it, welcome to the MTA cause now your they property lol sorry if i make sound so bad lol.

Bro it all depends on what depot they will have you report to. I had ppl in my class that had to report at 10am till 6pm. Also where ever they send you for training thats pretty much it, welcome to the MTA cause now your they property lol sorry if i make sound so bad lol.

So what depot did you have to report to and what time did they let you go. Did you ever work past the time allotted?

So what depot did you have to report to and what time did they let you go. Did you ever work past the time allotted?

Online classes is the way to go, you never know when you will finish.

When you will go with the instructor He or She may tell you today report at 6 tomorrow at 9.

One day in training we went almost 2 hours over the time , because we were stuck in traffic coming back to the depot. ( next day was a shorter day )

Forget about your plans, forget about your personal life, forget about your friends and family get together. You are officially a property of MTA and they can do anything they want with you. :o

I have a 14 loose page document stapled together. Ya'll don't have to believe me but i found this on the bus one day. Four years ago.The first page says nyc transit. Starting the bus. It states cover the brake. Then it states attic to basement( whatever the hell that mean ) under it has seven bullets giving instructions. The first three instructions are as follows, place door control lever in 3 oclock position.....engage air dump valve( push in) ....rotate master switch to lights position. There are more lots more info. Like securing the bus,pinning the bus without shutting off. Other pages describes defensive driving techniques, airbrake system check mirrors, forward planning cover your brake ...low air warning device....el turn hook turn, mirror set up...there is a litany of information in this booklet. Now my question is did i stumble upon a gold mine of information on the 10 day training? It also show how to make turns, el pillar ,covering your right 3 to 4 feet. The smith system. I never threw this away and after hours of looking i found it buried in xxx. Does this sound familiar to those who went through training? Like i said there are tons of info i'm just giving a synopsis of what is in it. The booklet have diagrams of buses doing different maneuvers and how to perform them. Local( fare set 1) 1 thru 9 f1- f6. The booklet however is in pretty messedup condition....

As Acela has mentioned, there are usually different report times, depending on which instructor you get. You will be with the same instructor for the first seven days at the same report time at the same location. Ths will change if you need to train beyond seven days, for that's when the instructor, location and report time usually changes.

When you report on the 15th you can make your request known to the instructor that will teach the class during your first break. Any exceptions to what is initially assigned is rare but if you are respectful in your request it may happen for you. Bring your school class schedule with you.

Remember, if you pass the training, when you pick your depot for Line Training to learn the routes, you can forget about any schedule modifications for your school classes. You will not be given special hours. What's good for one is good for all. Start thinking about what you will do with your school schedule should you be fortunate enough to pass and move forward from the training bus to the depot for Line Training.

All the best!

My recommendation to you is to put that aside because now it means nothing to you and will confuse you, trust me. It appears to be a copy of some of the pages taken from the training manual that you and all of the reporting students will receive on your first day at Zerega. What you have is nothing special.

Forget it and listen to your instructor. It can do more harm than good if you start memorizing things that you can't yet visualize being demonstrated.

Relax and pay attention!

Those of you preparing to report to Zerega for Orientation Day, here are a few quick pointers:

If you don't have a reliable alarm clock or if you rely on your cell phone to wake you up, make sure they are in working order. I STRONGLY recommend an alarm clock as a back up. Remember, lateness means no pay - go home AND EVENTUALLY...GOOD BYE! A minute or two late may not mean much on other jobs, but in transit it's everything!

Make Sunday a relaxing day and the evening an early one. You probably won't sleep as you normally do and that's because you are deathly afraid of waking up late, or even oversleeping! Remember, if you are assigned a 6AM training bus on Tuesday morning, you will have to awake super early, so another night of minimal sleep. Sunday is your key day to relax. Check the weather report for Monday morning. Remember, weather can affect travel. You don't have to arrive 2 hours early. That's silly. A minimum of 30 min. before the start of the class is fine.

On Monday at Zerega, be prepared to complete a good amount of paperwork. Sit up close and LISTEN!!! When you are assigned your depot, search out where it is. Make sure you know how to get there Tuesday morning. If you are relying on Mass Transit to get to your depots on Tuesday morning, remember that service at 4AM is not as frequent as 8AM.

Give it your best 100% effort and be honest with yourself and instructor.

All the best.

Do they let the students out for lunch on the 1st day at Zerega?

If so what is around there that has decent food?

It might not be a bad idea for this driving to Zerega who are unfamiliar

with the area to take a drive over there on the weekend when traffic isn't

that bad, also drive around on the side streets, look at the alternate side

of the street parking regulation signs.

GPS, online maps are good to a certain extent, driving around there is

more beneficial in my opinion.

Yes, you break for lunch. There is a cafeteria on the main floor with hot/cold food, and a half a block down across from the Sanitation Dept. there is a "Red Truck" that you can buy and bring back to Zerega. (Breakfast also)The truck is a landmark and lines can form. You can always bring your own lunch and save the $5-$10.

Parking is tight and you may have to search a few blocks away if your not fortunate enough to get a spot in front of the building. They go early and fast!

Zerega is 5-10 min from the Bronx side of the Whitestone Bridge. By all means if one can take a drive on Sunday to get a trip under the belt it will make the drive Monday morning a bit more relaxing.

I live not far from Zerega and as you can see in the video their is back in angle parking along the street from the sanitation area to in front of the MTA training building and further down the road. Parking starts at 5am. the signs states no standing from 10pm to 5am. If you get their early you can find parking on the side streets.

Archived