What part of "Stand behind the yellow line" don't riders understand?

JubaionBx12+SBS

I am making a distinction between two behaviors: 1) looking down the track, and 2) crossing the yellow line or being near the edge of the platform. Those are two different behaviors.

Simply looking down the track - which can be done from several safe positions, does not automatically necessarily have to done at the platform edge - is a honored behavior - plenty of folk have done it and continue to do it. As I said before count-down clocks are a very recent addition to the system. Even if a station has 1 or 2 count-down clocks - those clocks may not be able to be seen from several positions on the platform. One can easily stand in the middle of the platform or along the walls and look down the track to see if a train is coming. Plenty of people do that.

Being near the edge of the platform is a dangerous activity - not doubt about that. Transit riders have to be very careful when near the edge of the platform. Sometimes due to station design and features one has to walk near the edge to reach other parts of the platform or station - this is case at several stations. Being near the edge of the platform is a dangerous activity - I've now repeated that line for the third time.

Being near the edge of the platform and looking down the track is a dangerous activity - I've said that now for the fourth time.

A 12-9 means that a person is on the tracks. Now HOW they got on the tracks is another story - they may have fallen, they may have been pushed, they may have walked on the tracks to pick up something, etc. Being on the tracks is dangerous - no matter HOW one gets there.

Mike

The clocks aren't always the greatest. At the 28th Street Station one time on the (1) the announcement told everyone that a (1) train was going to come into the station in 1 minute. The clock said 6 minutes. Guess what? The train came in in a minute. The clocks aren't good. Once there was an article on Second Avenue Sagas that mentioned that these clocks are a decade old. They have 2000 technology while we are in the year 2011.

Well I'm sorry that the MTA is not working for you. I would be grateful for what we have... and we may not have the money to upfate them duh

The clocks aren't always the greatest. At the 28th Street Station one time on the (1) the announcement told everyone that a (1) train was going to come into the station in 1 minute. The clock said 6 minutes. Guess what? The train came in in a minute. The clocks aren't good. Once there was an article on Second Avenue Sagas that mentioned that these clocks are a decade old. They have 2000 technology while we are in the year 2011.
that is very rare and most of that has been worked on and fixed a long time ago, the clocks work very good and ive been following them for years now i havent really seen any real problems. what people need too do is just stand back and look at the clock and listen for announcements over the PA CIS now that its nice and clear to hear. theres no reason too look over the edge of the platforms.

It ain't making sense here...If you are underground, often you can hear rumbling sounds which usually mean the train is approaching the station. Elevated...Just stick your head out...

But you shouldn't even be looking to see if the train is coming..

Its not like the train wouldn't come.

And if a train bypassed the station you were waiting at, DON'T PANIC. It's not the end of the world, but people risk their lives to do it anyways...SMH

I am making a distinction between two behaviors: 1) looking down the track, and 2) crossing the yellow line or being near the edge of the platform. Those are two different behaviors.

Simply looking down the track - which can be done from several safe positions, does not automatically necessarily have to done at the platform edge - is a honored behavior - plenty of folk have done it and continue to do it. As I said before count-down clocks are a very recent addition to the system. Even if a station has 1 or 2 count-down clocks - those clocks may not be able to be seen from several positions on the platform. One can easily stand in the middle of the platform or along the walls and look down the track to see if a train is coming. Plenty of people do that.

Being near the edge of the platform is a dangerous activity - not doubt about that. Transit riders have to be very careful when near the edge of the platform. Sometimes due to station design and features one has to walk near the edge to reach other parts of the platform or station - this is case at several stations. Being near the edge of the platform is a dangerous activity - I've now repeated that line for the third time.

Being near the edge of the platform and looking down the track is a dangerous activity - I've said that now for the fourth time.

A 12-9 means that a person is on the tracks. Now HOW they got on the tracks is another story - they may have fallen, they may have been pushed, they may have walked on the tracks to pick up something, etc. Being on the tracks is dangerous - no matter HOW one gets there.

Mike

I have to agree. There's nothing wrong with simply leaning on a column near the yellow line to look into the tunnel.

The worst, however, is when there is simply no other option but to go on a yellow line in order to move down the platform so as to get to a passageway for a connection. This in particular is a problem at narrow platform stations such as Fulton and Wall on the (2)(3) and connecting from the (N)(Q)(R) to the (L) at Union Square, in the latter case having to go to the end of the platform to head down another stairway to a now-too-narrow Canarsie Line platform. Perhaps the worst is walking down the platform at Bleecker to get to Broadway-Lafayette. Now talk about construction screwing up pedestrian movement.

You can't blame riders for this type of behaviour, and unfortunately there's really nothing the MTA can do.

I have to agree. There's nothing wrong with simply leaning on a column near the yellow line to look into the tunnel.

The worst, however, is when there is simply no other option but to go on a yellow line in order to move down the platform so as to get to a passageway for a connection. This in particular is a problem at narrow platform stations such as Fulton and Wall on the (2)(3) and connecting from the (N)(Q)(R) to the (L) at Union Square, in the latter case having to go to the end of the platform to head down another stairway to a now-too-narrow Canarsie Line platform. Perhaps the worst is walking down the platform at Bleecker to get to Broadway-Lafayette. Now talk about construction screwing up pedestrian movement.

You can't blame riders for this type of behaviour, and unfortunately there's really nothing the MTA can do.

Or when you have to walk near the yellow line to avoid crowding at one part of a station, such as Lexington Av/59th St on the (N)(Q)(R) lines.

Archived