MTA RTS Training Bus @ Sunrise Mall, Massapequa, LI (pic) and Questions

Burrstone

I didn't want to eat lunch at the Sunrise Mall today, but I got a nice odd sighting you never see there:

photolwk.jpg

I was intrigued when I first saw it parked in the lot off where the bus stops are... Could it be on loan? Not enough spares? A training bus? Probably the more likely option. It was obvious it was a training bus, I'm no detective but the destination sign and sign in the front passenger side windshield that read "training bus" gave it away. I snapped this pic as I drove past (sorry for the quality it was with my phone).

Seeing this sparked a couple of questions...

Is the MTA still hiring and training for LIB with 1/1 coming?

If not why is the MTA sending trainees out to LI?

If they are still hiring and training LIB drivers, and putting them in the MTA classes, why are they doing so? Why is the MTA investing such money to hire and train drivers for LIB?

Why would anyone take a job now as a NEW driver for LIB? With the uncertainty that awaits, why would they pour so much effort into training for a job that could realistically end for them in 4-5 months after they are done with training? They could save themselves the drama and drive a school bus, make more an hour than a new LIB driver and have a set schedule.

The three men in the photo, went into the bus after I snapped the photo. Doesn't the MTA have a uniform or dress code? I would have assumed trainees be required to be in uniform, or at least in profession clothes, I wasn't expecting jeans and a t-shirt.

#1 Just b/c they are in LI doesn't mean that they are training for LIB. during driver training the S/I takes you where ever he or she feels they need to. sometime they take you to place they like to eat around. #2 When you see a training bus, its not always B/O's that they are training. Maintenance personnel get the same driver training as B/O's, just not as many days

I never assumed they were training for LIB, seeing that question sparked many questions that were "if's," that was just one of the if's.

#1 Just b/c they are in LI doesn't mean that they are training for LIB. during driver training the S/I takes you where ever he or she feels they need to

It just seems that Massapequa, Long Island seems pretty far off the beaten path. I was just saying it seems like a waste of money to be sending a bus out to LI (border line nassau/suffolk at that) IF they are still hiring LIB drivers or IF they are training nyc drivers on LIB routes, maybe I didn't convey that right.

Your scenario seems like an even worse waste of money, to send that bus so far out on Long Island, just because...

sometime they take you to place they like to eat around

Sunrise Mall does have a pretty amazing food court, Wendy's, Arby's, a Taco Bell, Nathans, Sbarro's, and a couple of Chinese places. I would totally make the drive for that too. lol Or maybe he just wanted to show the boys the two story Walmart that is part of the mall, that is pretty cool.

Maintenance personnel get the same driver training as B/O's, just not as many days

All I was saying (whoever it was being trained) that I was surprised seeing no uniform and was surprised the MTA doesn't require a uniform or dress code and allows jeans and a t-shirt.

And how does a superintendent dress like? white shirt?

it really depends on the s/i and his/her taste's, and where they work. I've seen everything them wear suit and ties, short skirts and stiletto heals, and polo shirt/jeans combinations. i've seen a s/i that if you didn't know who he was you would think he was a homeless war vet...

it really depends on the s/i and his/her taste's, and where they work. I've seen everything them wear suit and ties, short skirts and stiletto heals, and polo shirt/jeans combinations. i've seen a s/i that if you didn't know who he was you would think he was a homeless war vet...

I assume the superintendent was the guy on the right in the pic, wearing a pastel blue dress shirt and dress pants...or...maybe that was a trainee trying to dress to impress and the superintendent was one of the ones on the left jeans and a t-shirt. B)

Archived