Many NYC Supermarkets Overcharging Customers

Via Garibaldi 8

Garbaldi it is related since some NYC supermarkets since forever has been known overcharged on all food products with organic products being the most complained.

You're missing the point:

Overcharging = charging more at the cash register than the stated price on the shelf (or in the coupon book)

Price gouging = raising the price of an item to be higher than what a consumer might consider otherwise reasonable.

They are not one and the same. This article has nothing to do with organic foods...it has to do with the practice of saying one thing on the shelf or in the coupon book, and then charging a higher price at the register.

Oh, and Walmart still sucks.

Overcharging = charging more at the cash register than the stated price on the shelf (or in the coupon book)

Price gouging = raising the price of an item to be higher than what a consumer might consider otherwise reasonable.

They are not one and the same. This article has nothing to do with organic foods...it has to do with the practice of saying one thing on the shelf or in the coupon book, and then charging a higher price at the register.

Ok. Thus when i still lived in Brooklyn i rarely shopped in Manhattan stores other than department stores. I fully aware that some stores may charge one price on their labels and then charge more at the registar.

Unfair yes and unethically. Price gouging that boderline.

LOL... Oh Duane Reade is most certainly guilty of price gouging... $5.99 for a 12 oz box of Honey Nut Cheerios?? Then they keep jacking up the prices and then put the product on sale at the price that it should really be listed at, so now what I do is I try to buy stuff from there that I know they are forced to keep at a fixed rate.

- price gouging is a method of overcharging.....

- price gouging borderline? In some states, it's ILLEGAL !!!

- those retail/pharmacy stores price gouge like mad....

you've got to be ill-informed, or flat out stupid to want to go food/grocery shopping in them IMO....

- supermarkets in general do overcharge, not much we can do about that unfortunately.... you could start (food) shopping in those big box stores (walmart, etc), or buying store brand shit in your local supermarket.....

keyword in there is "you"....

'cause I'd be damned if I'm doin any of that....

you've got to be ill-informed, or flat out stupid to want to go food/grocery shopping in them IMO....

- supermarkets in general do overcharge, not much we can do about that unfortunately.... you could start (food) shopping in those big box stores (walmart, etc), or buying store brand shit in your local supermarket.....

I generally try not to shop there, but the problem is sometimes it is late at night and nothing else is open and you want something to take the edge off or whatever and they're basically located all over the place w/24 hour stores and such, so I'll go there and get a few items, BUT only if they're not ridiculously overpriced. I try to stick to getting items that I know they basically can't jack up because you'll see the same items with the same prices no matter what store you go to anywhere in the city.

They also do carry a few items that are actually nutritious like Chobani yogurt, Cherrios and organic milk, so I try to stick to items like that as long as the prices are within reason.

LOL... Oh Duane Reade is most certainly guilty of price gouging... $5.99 for a 12 oz box of Honey Nut Cheerios?? Then they keep jacking up the prices and then put the product on sale at the price that it should really be listed at, so now what I do is I try to buy stuff from there that I know they are forced to keep at a fixed rate.

Damn. I wouldn't want to even pay half of that for a box of cereal.

Well, it's your money, not mine. ;)

Archived