Apple introduces faster new iPhone

Trainspotter

Apple introduces faster new iPhone

Apple unveiled its latest version of the iPhone, more powerful and much cheaper than the model that took the tech world by storm last year.

Available July 11 at $199 for the 8-gigabyte model and $299 for the unprecedented 16-gig version, the phone will have better corporate e-mailing, much faster loading of Web pages and a more powerful battery - all in a thinner body.

"It's amazingly zippy," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said, showing off the highly anticipated encore to the device that melds a mobile phone, iPod media player and Web browser.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - June 9, 2008

Probably nothing since this new one is only 200 bucks and its better. I have to admit that this frustrates me a little bit since I paid 400 for mine and next thing you know they cut the price in half and make the phone better. Oh well... thats apple for you. :rolleyes: In my honest opinion I think Apple already has this technology and design already created but are staggering the releases of them to make money. Do you think thats possible?

Probably nothing since this new one is only 200 bucks and its better. I have to admit that this frustrates me a little bit since I paid 400 for mine and next thing you know they cut the price in half and make the phone better. Oh well... thats apple for you. :rolleyes: In my honest opinion I think Apple already has this technology and design already created but are staggering the releases of them to make money. Do you think thats possible?

Definitely. I worked for AT&T. They already had the 2.0 in the works when the 1.0 came out. They lied to everybody and said it would not come out until this winter holiday season. It was all about money, but at least Apple employees got the discount before we did. The 3.0 is in the works as we speak. That's the #1 reason why I didn't get the phone. #2 Because they were greedy and wouldn't offer us a discount. I had to fight with myself not to go get that phone when it came out. I think I might go get the 1.0 now and unlock it for T-Mobile.

If one follows the rumors like I do, one would be quite aware of an impending iPhone update (today was the beginning of World Wide Developer's Conference, with a heavy emphasis on iPhone app development... I listened to the keynote live, but I knew what was coming). The new iPhone is due for retail on July 11th, however, AT&T is being stupid and decided that you have to activate your iPhone in an AT&T store (low price comes from them subsidizing the iPhones, so they're trying to prevent unlocking) within 30 days of purchase or else you will face "the consequences." Certainly I plan to get a 3G iPhone, and maybe if we're lucky, there'll be a railfan app or something (perhaps there will be, if I can register to get my apps on the app store).

No. They were waiting for a power management chip to keep battery times reasonably close to the original iphone. I have been really good friends with several apple employees over the years, and they all tell me the same thing. They work on the product till it's ready, then within 2-3 weeks the product is announced/available. Their people work basically non-stop till a satisfactory result is achieved. As far as minor updates, it takes them a few months to iron out the price points and so on, and also make sure their product line does not overlap too much, so customers know which product meets their needs.

- Andy

This kind of thing is usually why I buy phones that are "yesterday's" technology (but not last week's or last year's) when it's time to renew the contract. Milk the cell phone companies for all they'll give you (half off or free phone) then get something CLOSE to "state of the art." The problem is if you get the "state of the art" model a lot of times the tech hasn't been perfected and there's bugs/problems and you're going to be spending a lot of time at the customer service desk over the life of the contract. Plus you won't have to deal with the stigma of bragging to all your friends how you got the latest and the greatest only to be outdone a couple weeks later when something newer and better comes out :rolleyes:

Probably nothing since this new one is only 200 bucks and its better. I have to admit that this frustrates me a little bit since I paid 400 for mine and next thing you know they cut the price in half and make the phone better. Oh well... thats apple for you. :( In my honest opinion I think Apple already has this technology and design already created but are staggering the releases of them to make money. Do you think thats possible?

I think Apple is releasing it too soon. I think they should hold out alittle more and keep testing, testing, testing until they know they got it right, make sure flaws are not major.

I would get it if I didn't sign a contract with Sprint for a year or so back in February. If its really worth it, I'll drop that contract or just give my Sprint phone to my brother and me get the iPhone 3G to myself. :rolleyes:

Archived