How many of you ppl have travelled to upstate NY??? via transit or driving??

qjtransitmaster

Where is this new ridership going to come from though? If people aren't already traveling to those places then what makes you think they'll suddenly have the urge to commute there quite often? And people who drive already will not ever give up their freedom and take a bus. Not only does it take much longer because of the many stops it makes, you also loose the comfort as well as the privacy.

In general, if people can drive to where they need to go then they will drive to where they need to go. I guarantee you that if they somehow constructed a huge parking garage in Lower Manhattan near Wall Street that was free to use then express bus ridership as well as certain train ridership levels will decrease significantly. Nobody likes being stuck in a bus for an hour or having to force their way into an overcrowded subway train after walking more than half a mile to get there.

(The above is just a hypothetical example for arguments sake only. I'm not suggesting building that at all because that would just be dumb.)

true what I meant to say was the current shapes of the routes discourage ridership cause like you said they don't go anywhere what I am suggesting is a compression of resources which would make the routes lose less plus the buses in those areas travel at much faster speeds than the ones down here cause they have open space to move around the lines are flag based its fusion of rural and intercity to close rural gaps BUT keep rtes more efficient. did you even click the link??

@lilbluefox again this is not about adding buses it's convergence to gain higher yields on the lines so they lose less it would combine the ridership groups and mix em in with a few additional ones. I can never clearly explain it you have to visit birniebus.com look at all of em then click st lawrence bus or commuter in google and look at the region as a whole there are too many possible destinations to even list

The only Upstate cities where intercity bus service could possibly get some ridership are Buffalo, Rochester and cities with a large college student population.

yup you are right on the money My plan actually doesn't create more transfers it ELIMINATES THEM. Via merging lines to form intercity lines between college towns and major cities and the areas served by rural lines the rural lines gain ridership plus the structure makes the new lines more direct reducing the needs to transfer and making em more direct. Check birniebus.com look at their rtes then look at chemung county and stuben county look at tioga look at the various systems. Many of their rtes duplicate the intercity rtes with many exceptions. So if the shortline and trailways runs were to be strengthened they would render the rural duplicates unnecessary. Also they would mean more direct service between points with fewer transfers you and lilbulefox are right that ppl don't want to transfer often.

Well i live upstate in Ducthess County. QJtransitmaster lol does not account that driving in a car from the Buffalo area-Metro NYC is 7-8 hours(not counting traffic) Greyhound or NY trailways has i think '1' express bus a day (usually their Toronto runs)that still takes 9-10 hours.

For your info here the websites for the '2' main bus providers for upstate NY.

NY trailways http://www.trailwaysny.com/

Shortline/Coach USA http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.tickets.asp

Note Shortline/Coach USA only serves NY state southern tier between Orange County and Elmira, NY.

Foxie makes a great point. Having a car in most of upstate NY is just easier. Unless you live in a city such as Albany, Rochester or Buffalo a car is a must. Syrcause also has 7 day a week service but it stops running on Sundays i think by 8-9pm.

So QJtransitmaster do a map quest first for car distances before making your bus proposals. The only option that will get people off the NY state Thruway is buliding a High Speed Rail along the current Amtrak network between Buffalo and NYC.

So QJtransitmaster do a map quest first for car distances before making your bus proposals. The only option that will get people off the NY state Thruway is buliding a High Speed Rail along the current Amtrak network between Buffalo and NYC.

I doubt that, you will get rid of the NY to Albany and NY to Buffalo crowds, but if you need to go anywhere in the middle, or off to somewhere else like Binghampton or Plattsburgh or Canada its still better to drive, or else you have to rent a car at the albany station, and you might as well just drive the whole way.

I doubt that, you will get rid of the NY to Albany and NY to Buffalo crowds, but if you need to go anywhere in the middle, or off to somewhere else like Binghampton or Plattsburgh or Canada its still better to drive, or else you have to rent a car at the albany station, and you might as well just drive the whole way.

I fully aware there a good crowd that travels between NYC-Toronto and NYC-Montreal. The HSR would be helpfully for VIA (Canada's version of Amtrak)connecting trains in Buffalo.

Well i live upstate in Ducthess County. QJtransitmaster lol does not account that driving in a car from the Buffalo area-Metro NYC is 7-8 hours(not counting traffic) Greyhound or NY trailways has i think '1' express bus a day (usually their Toronto runs)that still takes 9-10 hours.

For your info here the websites for the '2' main bus providers for upstate NY.

NY trailways http://www.trailwaysny.com/

Shortline/Coach USA http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.tickets.asp

Note Shortline/Coach USA only serves NY state southern tier between Orange County and Elmira, NY.

Foxie makes a great point. Having a car in most of upstate NY is just easier. Unless you live in a city such as Albany, Rochester or Buffalo a car is a must. Syrcause also has 7 day a week service but it stops running on Sundays i think by 8-9pm.

True the HSR will work wonders and will only make my plans even more feasible. Yes I DID do mapquest and google maps checks for driving distances on all the areas I looked at I actually took a break to do some more I actually checked driving times LONG before even coming up with any bus proposals and I've been able to confirm that it would lower operating costs for 5 counties and more should they choose to merge segments (unique) segments across county lines to create new intercity lines the real reason behind my NY proposal is the fact that all the buses to nowhere that are quite useless (in their current forms) are run by the same contractor who is a member of trailways their name birnie bus. Several buses duplicate shortline my ideals eliminate duplication and create more direct service while alternating between areas and trips. The HSR however will only increase ridership on these (lines I create) faster than under normal circumstances.

Plus plattsburgh has direct buses to albany and montreal to be exact.

@shortline NOT EXACTLY The bus I used made stops in Syracuse and still took 8 hours. I boarded from buffalo. I agree with foxie's point which actually strengthens my argument that the rural rtes to nowhere are useless. check here to know what I mean birniebus.com check commuter then click the ORCT utica and rome then check otsego and Lewis then try and link between em. Exactly it's IMPOSSIBLE.

The current rtes are disconnected making cars unbeatable and much easier as pointed out by foxie who actually inspired some of my ideas. Even I would use a car to go up there due to low gas cost and the incompetence of the little transit that actually exists.

Hay shortline bus

Ohh can you tell me about ridership on shortline's feeders Monticello to binghamton via roscoe line (179) and the (52) line liberty to Monticello via sullivan community college??? and the villa roma line bus number 56 as well the feeder

Hay shortline bus

Ohh can you tell me about ridership on shortline's feeders Monticello to binghamton via roscoe line (179) and the (52) line liberty to Monticello via sullivan community college??? and the villa roma line bus number 56 as well the feeder

I never been on Shortline *past* Middletown in Orange County. I rode it once from Middletown-NYC when i used to live in Brooklyn. On the quickway aka soon to be Interstate 86, i only driven in the Monticello-Liberty area so i can't tell you the exact ridership sorry.

I never been on Shortline *past* Middletown in Orange County. I rode it once from Middletown-NYC when i used to live in Brooklyn. On the quickway aka soon to be Interstate 86, i only driven in the Monticello-Liberty area so i can't tell you the exact ridership sorry.

you know anybody who can???

Actually Shortline serves the entire southern tier up to jamestown,ny via their Eire division known as CoachUSA/ERIE

Archived