Metro Card Reversal

CPBO

New York’s top court says a man who used his unlimited-ride MetroCard to let another rider into the subway for money didn’t commit larceny.

The Court of Appeals yesterday unanimously reversed Joseph Hightower’s misdemeanor conviction for petty larceny, finding that NYC Transit never owned the money.

Read more: New York’s highest court reverses larceny conviction of man who used MetroCard to swipe another rider into the subway - NYPOST.com

The (MTA) needs to get a grip. If they only knew how many people do this. Hell anytime I go to visit clients and use my Unlimited Express Bus Plus card, you better believe that my boss is going to reimburse me for it and anyone who uses my card will be charged for it. They are so full of it. They would rather harass folks that actually PAY for their service rather than go after farebeaters, who are the real problem. Now if this guy was one of those folks that are down in the Union Square station trying to get folks to pay them to swipe them with an Unlimited Metrocard then I can understand, but if this wasn't the case then leave them alone. :mad:

The (MTA) needs to get a grip. If they only knew how many people do this. Hell anytime I go to visit clients and use my Unlimited Express Bus Plus card, you better believe that my boss is going to reimburse me for it and anyone who uses my card will be charged for it. They are so full of it. They would rather harass folks that actually PAY for their service rather than go after farebeaters, who are the real problem. Now if this guy was one of those folks that are down in the Union Square station trying to get folks to pay them to swipe them with an Unlimited Metrocard then I can understand, but if this wasn't the case then leave them alone. :mad:

The guy sold a swipe using an unlimited.

The guy sold a swipe using an unlimited.

Yeah the original article didn't clarify that. :) In any event, are they going to after every person that sells a swipe using an unlimited? I've done it before and someone who has a Pay-Per-Ride could do it too and make some money, but not nearly as much of course.

Let me ask you, as a bus operator, why are disabled people able to skip the fare?

I see this a lot, the bus operator helps them on the bus & they just "forget" about paying.

These people are on the honor system...they are suppose to pay upon boarding the bus...if the bus is packed how do you suppose these people pay...excuse me I need to get to the front of the bus to pay...unload the bus...I need to pay my fare....the way things are set up with the older buses going thru the back door is not practical....and I don't want to handle somebody's metrocard...I can see the road that could go down...why am I missing 2 fares....etc.. I am sure one of the factors the new buses have the wheelchair in the front is so when they pass right by the farebox they can pay....

Yeah the original article didn't clarify that. B) In any event, are they going to after every person that sells a swipe using an unlimited? I've done it before and someone who has a Pay-Per-Ride could do it too and make some money, but not nearly as much of course.

Im sure it was not past the 18 minute wait time from the original swipe....yae the article was not clear on that.....

These people are on the honor system...they are suppose to pay upon boarding the bus...if the bus is packed how do you suppose these people pay...excuse me I need to get to the front of the bus to pay...unload the bus...I need to pay my fare....the way things are set up with the older buses going thru the back door is not practical....and I don't want to handle somebody's metrocard...I can see the road that could go down...why am I missing 2 fares....etc.. I am sure one of the factors the new buses have the wheelchair in the front is so when they pass right by the farebox they can pay....

I've seen plenty of times, when I'm either on a new bus (so they come in from the front) or the bus is empty & yet they still dont pay.

Do people actually profit from this? I mean, having to stand around awkwardly for 18 minutes every single time just to make $2.25 seems a little silly. With that being said, though, I don't think it should be illegal. I have had to swipe for people plenty of times in stations *cough* Union Square *cough* where all the machines weren't working and the token booth was on the other side of the universe. People really appreciated it.

I doubt this is that profitable..you might be able to pay off the cost of the card, but unless if you're doing this every day 12 hours a day you won't be able to profit that much.

I once saw a guy with 3 monthlys selling select bus tickets at the M15 stop..i guess some people do find value in doing this..

The rule only prohibits selling rides with a metrocard..AFAIK does not mention anything about swiping people in for free or sharing an unlimited card (which I and many many other people do all the time)..the article is short and vague so I can't comment much on that here

As for the bus driver and the ADA statement I completely agree it is unbelievable how often wheelchairs get on the bus for free (on top of delaying the bus with hundreds of paying customers waiting)..

Archived