Can a bus operator,drop passengers off at a non-degsignated stop-late at night?

ac1962

On express, I believe it is allowed within the specified time frame.

Always make sure you are dropping off in a safe location. Not where ever they want. Not in the middle of the street,etc.. Make sure you can curb your bus, kneel it, then open the doors.. Always better to be extra safe in this situation, than sorry b/c if something happens, they will turn it on you.

Always C-Y-A!

Yeah, on that poster somebody (I forget who. It was just a few posts up), it says it's for local and express buses only, not limiteds, +SBS+ or shuttles (like subway shuttles).

Ah thanks. The M2 starts its local trips at about 7pm, and B/Os always let off wherever you want at that point, so that's why I'm not getting this idea of the request-a-stop being local only, as what Limiteds are there at 2 in the morning? [same time, I see a ton of early morning M5 LTDs making local stops, for whatever reason.]

But the thing is that it starts at 10PM, so there are still a few limiteds running (the Q44, B103, and the last couple of trips on the S96 and S98, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting) (I know you know this, but I'm just saying it for anybody who doesn't)

Just a question for clarification: The rule applies if you ask between 10PM and 5AM, right? It has nothing to do with when the run left its origin (e.g. If I got on the SB B44 local from The Junction at 10:30PM, the rule applies even though the bus left Williamsburg at 9:47PM)

I see so when you're talking about not doing the Request-a-Stop, you're still in Limited service at that time. Got it, yeah that's crazy for people to get on the Limited and expect to get local service just cause it's after 10.

Yes that's correct. The real annoying thing like i stated earlier is that I leave Main St/39ave at the same time as the Q20A on my last trip. Most people get on my bus because they think it is faster. They dont consider the fact that there's not alot of traffic at night to slow us down. Also, the Q20 doesnt have alot of passengers since most people get on the LTD. Not alot of people get on or off at the local stops if any at all. So basically both buses get to Jamaica at the same time and people are requesting stops on my bus when they could have taken the 20 and gotten there at the same time anyway.

Just a question for clarification: The rule applies if you ask between 10PM and 5AM, right? It has nothing to do with when the run left its origin (e.g. If I got on the SB B44 local from The Junction at 10:30PM, the rule applies even though the bus left Williamsburg at 9:47PM)

Yes, after 10pm request-a-stop goes into affect regardless of the time the bus left its origin.

the last limited bus leaves the bronx zoo just after 10pm. Then it becomes a local bus and makes all stops. Since its such a long route, this bus will get to Jamaica after 11pm and will still be Limited. Some people think that since its after 10pm, the bus will be local. But once the sign is LTD, it stays that way for the entire trip

It's the same way on the B46, where we have limited service til about 11pm; but on the weekends, it seems the last LTD bus heading towards Kings Plaza is the 11:01 PM leaving "the Bridge" (Washington Plaza Terminal), which I found weird. I saw my paddle one day night and saw it said LTD. I asked a few of my coworkers if it was an error, but they said the 46 carries at that time of night that an LTD is needed to alleviate the local bus, from their assumptions. However, even when I'm working the 46 as a local, and there's a LTD behind/front of me, we still make it down to Utica and Flatbush Avenues around the same time, so the LTD usually makes it roughly 2-3, or 3-4 minutes ahead of me the entire trip til I catch up, and that's because he's doing drop-offs after Avenue H which slows it down.

Archived