How many trips does a bus operator,do on the local q-44?

ac1962

Sometimes i ride the q-44 local bus and being that is one of the longest bus routes in the city, i was wondering how many trips,does a bus operator do round trip and how much time does he get for a break. I know if i had that route,i wouldn't drink any coffee!

Sometimes i ride the q-44 local bus and being that is one of the longest bus routes in the city, i was wondering how many trips,does a bus operator do round trip and how much time does he get for a break. I know if i had that route,i wouldn't drink any coffee!

Someone from the Casey Stengel Depot would have to answer specifics about the Q44, since they're the ones who operate the route.

But, however, the length of break, which is what we call a "swing", depends on the paddle report given for that run. A run can have you report at 6:00 AM, work for about 3-4 hours (AM rush), swing for 4 hours, then back on for the PM rush later on that day.. and it could the run pay overall could be between 10-12 hour run, with half the swing pay.

BTW, some trips could be short-turned at specific timepoints along the route, whereas others complete the entire route, as per the paddle.

As I said, it's various.

the Q44 is only local late nights and early mornings and is Limited the rest of the day.

On weekdays my first half is on the Q20A. I start with a relief at Main St. I have a trip to College Pt, a trip to Jamaica, a trip back to College Pt, and then a trip to Main st where i'm relieved. Then I swing for 42min. After that I switch to the Q44LTD and make a relief. I make 1 trip to the Bx and 1 trip to Jamaica. Then I pull in from there. All together I make 6 trips on the Q4420, 2 of them being half trips starting or ending at Main st/39ave.

On weekends I do only the Q44. Saturdays I make 6 total trips. I start with a relief at Main st. I go to the Bronx, then Jamaica, then Main St for a relief and swing for 53min. Then i make a relief and go to Jamaica, the bronx, and back to Jamaica

On Sundays I make 7 trips. I pull out to Jamaica. From there I make one trip to the Bronx, and then to Main st. where Im relieved for my swing(42min). Then I make a relief and go to Jamaica, Bx, Jamaica, Bx, and a short trip to Main st. I pull in from there.

Someone from the Casey Stengel Depot would have to answer specifics about the Q44, since they're the ones who operate the route.

But, however, the length of break, which is what we call a "swing", depends on the paddle report given for that run. A run can have you report at 6:00 AM, work for about 3-4 hours (AM rush), swing for 4 hours, then back on for the PM rush later on that day.. and it could the run pay overall could be between 10-12 hour run, with half the swing pay.

BTW, some trips could be short-turned at specific timepoints along the route, whereas others complete the entire route, as per the paddle.

As I said, it's various.

Why are bus work schedules so irregular like that? It's more like two mini tours per day. Why don't they just have a an 8-10 hour day, with a lunch around the middle, with shorter breaks between runs? (which is how generally is in RTO. There are some long "WAA" periods in some jobs; usually put-ins or layups, or sometimes just some extra time to fill out an 8 hour schedule; but never four hours, unless it is a non-road job or "U/X" jobs, which are like a hybrid of road and non-road work. And I don't think they have 12 hour obs. I've heard of 11 hour, but that's counting the penalty pay and not actual sign in to sign out).

Why are bus work schedules so irregular like that? It's more like two mini tours per day. Why don't they just have a an 8-10 hour day, with a lunch around the middle, with shorter breaks between runs? (which is how generally is in RTO. There are some long "WAA" periods in some jobs; usually put-ins or layups, or sometimes just some extra time to fill out an 8 hour schedule; but never four hours, unless it is a non-road job or "U/X" jobs, which are like a hybrid of road and non-road work. And I don't think they have 12 hour obs. I've heard of 11 hour, but that's counting the penalty pay and not actual sign in to sign out).

Not every run is setup that way. You have to remember, they setup the runs based on the service needed on the lines. They may just need you for rush hour service for both AM and PM, which has more buses of course; contrary to the off-peak hours where there's less bus usage, for some lines. However, most runs, from what I've seen have the whole 8-12 hours, with 35-50 minutes swing, on average.

BTW, there's no part-time ops in the NYCT division; MTA Bus is different, as they have part-time, so they can use one op for AM peak, and another for PM peak --- they don't have to pay 'em as much. (We get paid half our swing time.)

Part time? So those jobs with all that swing in the middle are two separate "part time" jobs connected by that long break? (That is in fact what it seems like).

RTO has increased service for rush hours as well, but they don't usually need separate jobs for just those periods. If less jobs are needed, they're usually able to distribute runs among the different jobs, with some being less than 8 hours, some more then 8 or just having an hour or two of WAA, and in some rare cases, just having those special U/X jobs that have only one trip and then do something else for the rest of the day.

Is this two-part setup because there are more buses running than trains, or something?

Part time? So those jobs with all that swing in the middle are two separate "part time" jobs connected by that long break? (That is in fact what it seems like).

I really don't know what the deal is on how Dept. of Operations handles scheduling, but this is what it is at the moment. I was giving an example though, as if there were part-time ops in the NYCT division, there probably wouldn't be the need to spread the run out so much, thus saving more money. But, fortunately, this against the contract.

I am curious though if they have those type of long swings in MTA Bus division.

Maybe KNIGHTRIDER3:16 or CPBO can chime in?

On the topic of long swings, there is an NJT crew which has this schedule:

05:30 Report Port Jervis

06:04 Leave Port Jervis

08:21 Arrive Hoboken

08:36 In yard

09:25 Back to HOB

16:50 Bring another train to HOB from the yard

17:15 Depart HOB

19:28 Arrive Port Jervis

19:58 End of shift

14:28 total hours

http://blet171.org/Ass%20Port%20Jervis%2011-27-11.pdf