Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
ac1962

Will train automatically stop,if something happens to train operator?

I was watching a movie called the french connection and a guy took over the train operators compartment, the motorman had a heart attack,and the train went out of control, i think a train operator has a control called the deadman's switch,meaning if his hand is removed from the switch,the train is to stop,am i correct?

All trains have that feature. The power controller must be depressed unless if the brakes are in full service or emergency or else the emergency brake will activate.

Everyone here is correct. Most movies depicting the NYC subway, like Pelham 123, are grossly inaccurate. If the movie had to be accurate, it would be boring. Pelham 123 would have been over in 10 minutes.

I still can't believe how in Pelham 123 they started the train from the outside...

SPEED is still the best foamer movie imo lol

come to think of it... PATCO in South Jersey has it when operating manually. When set to auto (CBTC), the operator doesn't have to hold on to the lever. The lever is set to Max Break when operating on auto. With CBTC upgrades on the (L) and (7) lines, will the "dead man's switch" be in effect when operating auto?

The handle in ATO operation is in full service, the alerter functions as the "deadman".

If anyone is wondering what that is, it's basically the button that the T/O has to press every 30 or so seconds to indicate that he or she is still alive. If the interval is missed, then the train automatically switches to emergency brake.

If anyone is wondering what that is, it's basically the button that the T/O has to press every 30 or so seconds to indicate that he or she is still alive. If the interval is missed, then the train automatically switches to emergency brake.

And the train operator subsequently written up, as RCC will know the train went into emergency and why.