Wealth gap grows between members of Congress & rest of America

Roadcruiser1

Wealth gap grows between members of Congress & rest of America

Pols get richer while constituents lose ground

By Braden Goyette

image.jpg

A man counts money in front of the U.S. Capitol in Washington.

As Americans have gotten poorer, members of Congress have gotten richer.

The median net worth of members of the House more than doubled from $280,000 to $725,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars between 1984 and 2009, the Washington Post reported.

The median wealth of American families declined slightly over the same period.

Nearly half of all members of Congress today are millionaires, according to The New York Times.

And the wealth gap is growing faster than before. From 2004 to 2010 alone, the median net worth of members of Congress grew by 15% while the median net worth for all Americans dropped 8%. The median net worth of the current Congress's freshman class was 26% greater than the freshman class of 2004, adjusted for inflation.

The hefty cost of running for office may be keeping less-wealthy candidates from throwing their hats in the ring. According to The Times, a successful House campaign cost $1.4 million on average last year, and a successful Senate run cost nearly $10 million.

The growing wealth gap raises concerns that members of Congress will have difficulty relating to average Americans when making decisions about the economy.

Read more: Wealth gap grows between members of Congress & rest of America - NY Daily News

Another reason why our congressmen and women needs pay cuts.

Like no one thought this was already happening. Half of congress being millionaires. That is really disturbing and at the same time downright sad. :tdown::mad:

Small typo but I follow you... ;) I don't see the big deal quite frankly... Some folks will be rich and some won't. It's called capitalism. The real issue is why are these politicians making so much to begin with??? There should be some sort of salary cap or something and it should be decided by the people of each state as to when their elected officials get raises. It's supposed to be about the people anyway.

Small typo but I follow you... ;) I don't see the big deal quite frankly... Some folks will be rich and some won't. It's called capitalism. The real issue is why are these politicians making so much to begin with??? There should be some sort of salary cap or something and it should be decided by the people of each state as to when their elected officials get raises. It's supposed to be about the people anyway.

How about adding term limits to a salary cap as well? Say 12 years for Congressmen/woman and Governors. They could help as well.

Not to mention restore the Feingold law that requires full disclosure of all monies 'donated' to all canadiates.

It's called "we elect these asshats to represent us, not get rich off of our backs" and "the general public has great disdain for such asshats."

Also, inb4Subwayguy (no offense)

People are finally waking up to the fact that their politicians do not represent them. They are figureheads elected to be loyal to the highest bidder. It's up to you to stop this vicious cycle of bribery and corruption and remove these self-serving Constitution-trashing blowhards from office.

SubwayGuy has other things to do than monitor these boards all day...

That said this is what the founding fathers wanted to prevent...a ruling aristocracy and "pay to play". It's not that Congress "makes more" than regular Americans. Yes, they do, but it's more about who is being elected. The ONLY people that are running for and getting elected to any office - particularly important ones in the federal government - are the rich. Which is bullshit because we are supposed to have a REPRESENTATIVE government. Meaning that all of the legal citizens of the USA are represented in government in some way, shape or form.

Instead, we have the rich 100% represented and the middle class and poor barely represented at all. All the "social programs" you see that claim to benefit the poor are mostly the rich gaming and experimenting with other people's money (taxpayers) to feel like do-gooders with a sense of charity with the nickles and dimes while they continue to serve their real clientele, the very rich like themselves. And the middle class dies out.

Every society in history with a weak middle class has ultimately economically failed, or gone under in a messy revolution or coup. Given enough time, America will be no different. The REAL experiment is to see how long Facebook and Twitter and Youtube keep the sheeple sufficiently entertained...maybe when they can't pay for connectivity gadgets anymore is the point the whole thing will blow up.

How about adding term limits to a salary cap as well? Say 12 years for Congressmen/woman and Governors. They could help as well.

Not to mention restore the Feingold law that requires full disclosure of all monies 'donated' to all canadiates.

Definitely needed. And those bloody judges should have term limits too. :mad: Some dude who is 80 years old still serving. Give me a break. Let some fresh blood come in. :mad:

Definitely needed. And those bloody judges should have term limits too. :mad: Some dude who is 80 years old still serving. Give me a break. Let some fresh blood come in. :mad:

It would never happen but the US supreme court lifetime appointments needs to go. I can live with say a 15-20-year appointment.(Judges who have to face elections will not be fair in their decisions)After 15-20 years, they would have to reappoint by Congress.

With that said though, VG8 why should an 90-plus year old Supreme court Justice or A US Senator like Storm Thurman if they not sane and healthy have basically a lifetime job like that? This is not bias by me against older people it's about getting those in public office who are healthy and make decision for the majority of the American public and not just only the rich.

Archived