Will Bus Time lead to increased ridership?

Via Garibaldi 8

I looked through the thread and found nothing except the comment about a couple of specific runs. Your turn.

And you've never even set foot on the S46. You really think your qualified to speak on it? That's like saying I'm qualified to speak on the B14 just because I lived in Brooklyn for 6 years.

I added to my post above, so uh yeah, don't be so quick to tell me what I have and haven't done on Staten Island. I've been living here for over 10 years.

Yes, I said service should be reduced. That's the damn point. But you're acting like I want the service reduced to nothing, or to a really low level. In the post you quoted, I even said that 30 minute headways would be too little service for South Avenue (meaning service would have to run more than every 30 minutes).

Like I said in the thread, the ideal level of service down South Avenue would probably be about 20 minute headways. (Which is why I suggested the S40 because the headways are exactly 20 minutes and why B35 suggested short-turns) 15 minutes would be a little excess, but if it had something to do with meeting the ferry (since 15 is a factor of 30), I'd take that, but 12 minutes is definitely excess.

Yeah, that's advocating for a service cut in my neighborhood. So again, tell me how exactly that's selfish.

BS you are... You don't use the S46 to the West Shore Plaza nor to the Teleport, so don't even try it.

BS you are... You don't use the S46 to the West Shore Plaza nor to the Teleport, so don't try it.

And the cut would still impact me because I use it south of Forest Avenue. You act like I'm trying to divert a bunch of service for myself. If I said "I'll short-turn them at Goethals Road North", then you could make the accusation of me being selfish (even though ridership north of Goethals Road North is still higher than south of Goethals Road North, so it would just be a lucky coincidence. In either case, there's no turnaround available in the area, so it's a moot point)

And I have used the service to the West Shore Plaza before, just not on a regular basis.

And the cut would still impact me because I use it south of Forest Avenue. You act like I'm trying to divert a bunch of service for myself.

LOL... That's because that's exactly what you want to do. Don't sit here and act like you care suddenly so much about service to the West Shore Plaza and the Teleport when you yourself were questioning why both areas got as much bus service as they did and then sat there and complained about how the buses run all bunched up because they have to serve those areas of South Avenue. You also stated that the frequent service to the West Shore Plaza currently provided isn't needed because the area isn't heavily populated, so don't try to backtrack now because you sure as hell don't live in a underpopulated area of Staten Island. Last I checked Bulls Head/Graniteville (whichever you prefer to use) is not exactly underdeveloped in terms of residents, but yet you keep talking about how you're advocating for cuts in "your neighborhood". Like I said... BUSTED!! LOL

LOL... That's because that's exactly what you want to do. Don't sit here and act like you care suddenly so much about service to the West Shore Plaza and the Teleport when you yourself were questioning why both areas got as much bus service as they did and then sat there and complained about how the buses run all bunched up because they have to serve those areas of South Avenue. You also stated that the frequent service to the West Shore Plaza currently provided isn't needed because the area isn't heavily populated, so don't try to backtrack now because you sure as hell don't live in a underpopulated area of Staten Island. Last I checked Bulls Head/Graniteville (whichever you prefer to use) is not exactly underdeveloped in terms of residents, but yet you keep talking about how you're advocating for cuts in "your neighborhood". Like I said... BUSTED!! LOL

Like I said, it's based on ridership, not "underpopulation". I don't see your point. It's possible for a heavily populated area to have excess service.

And on the opposite side of my neighborhood, I've said that there's too much service along Richmond Avenue.

Like I said, it's based on ridership, not "underpopulation".

Oh yeah? So now it's based on ridership?? And what makes you think that ridership doesn't exist to justify the service to the Teleport or to the West Shore Plaza? You act like the (MTA) is just going to run all of those local buses there just because. Try telling the students that need the service in the Teleport that their service should be cut back because you have an issue with the S46s bunching once they reach your neck of the woods since you think it's okay to cut their service because you don't feel there's enough ridership during the times you see the buses heading down there. So if you don't see folks riding it when you're around, that automatically means that service needs to be reduced... Talk about arrogant.

Oh yeah? So now it's based on ridership?? And what makes you think that ridership doesn't exist to justify the service to the Teleport or to the West Shore Plaza? You act like the (MTA) is just going to run all of those local buses there just because. Try telling the students that need the service in the Teleport that their service should be cut back because you have an issue with the S46s bunching once they reach your neck of the woods since you think it's okay to cut their service because you don't feel there's enough ridership during the times you see the buses heading down there. So if you don't see folks riding it when you're around, that automatically means that service needs to be reduced... Talk about arrogant.

I may wear glasses, but I'm not blind. :P

Like I said, on average, there are less than 10 people when the bus gets south of Forest Avenue, and less than 5 people when the bus gets south of the SIE (of course, there are some times when the bus had say, half a seated load, but those are only specific times). I've been on buses where I was the last person to get off the bus at Goethals Road North.

I obviously can't see the ridership of every single run, but I see enough to get a general idea of how crowded the buses are. Like I said, I see the ridership throughout the whole day, and for the most part, the buses aren't crowded. If there's students down there, they should run more trippers to serve them, but the basic level of service should decrease.

I may wear glasses, but I'm not blind. :P

Like I said, on average, there are less than 10 people when the bus gets south of Forest Avenue, and less than 5 people when the bus gets south of the SIE (of course, there are some times when the bus had say, half a seated load, but those are only specific times). I've been on buses where I was the last person to get off the bus at Goethals Road North.

I obviously can't see the ridership of every single run, but I see enough to get a general idea of how crowded the buses are. Like I said, I see the ridership throughout the whole day, and for the most part, the buses aren't crowded. If there's students down there, they should run more trippers to serve them, but the basic level of service should decrease.

Nice try but that's not the reason you gave originally... There is no other local bus that serves those areas so reducing it could create a serious inconvenience for the people that need the service in those areas. :tdown:

WRONG!! I have so used the S46... I've used it when I was taking the ferry back in the day and Forest Ave. was shut down for one reason or another. I also was forced to walk along parts of the S46 route during the transit strike back in '05, so you don't know what I've done and where I've been. :P Before 2006 I was using the ferry to and from work and such when I was on Staten Island during college break and such so I used various bus lines to get around on the island. I've also used the S44 amongst other buses.

Yeah, I know you've used the S44, but you mentioned that you used it one time and you were scared walking down from Cary Avenue. If you're scared of Cary Avenue, why would you go all the way up to Castleton? You'd basically be forced to wait by the West Brighton Houses (since you mentioned that you live by Elizabeth Street when we were talking about demographics and such), and even I get nervous when I'm waiting there, so I'm sure you wouldn't be comfortable there.

And yeah, I know you've used the S44 along Richmond Avenue sometimes to get to the X17 and things like that, and obviously somebody attending CSI would be using the S44 fairly often (did you commute back and forth to Brooklyn, or what?)

And in any case, I doubt you've used the S46 on the western end, by South Avenue. There's literally nothing of interest along that area. The West Shore Plaza doesn't really have anything aside from the DMV, and everything else along South Avenue is residential.

Nice try but that's not the reason you gave originally... There is no other local bus that serves those areas so reducing it could create a serious inconvenience for the people that need the service in those areas. :tdown:

What are you talking about? The primary reason I gave for wanting less service was lack of ridership. More reliable service in the northern part was a secondary reason to want fewer/none of the buses to go there (and again, to clarify, I wouldn't leave the area with no service).

As far as leaving them without alternatives, well there are other areas where there's only one infrequent local bus. A lot of areas on the South Shore are like that.

Yeah, I know you've used the S44, but you mentioned that you used it one time and you were scared walking down from Cary Avenue. If you're scared of Cary Avenue, why would you go all the way up to Castleton? You'd basically be forced to wait by the West Brighton Houses (since you mentioned that you live by Elizabeth Street when we were talking about demographics and such), and even I get nervous when I'm waiting there, so I'm sure you wouldn't be comfortable there.

And yeah, I know you've used the S44 along Richmond Avenue sometimes to get to the X17 and things like that, and obviously somebody attending CSI would be using the S44 fairly often (did you commute back and forth to Brooklyn, or what?)

LOL... I never attended CSI. I just had to go there for my study abroad orientation. For that I did come from Midwood and man what a PITA commute! :P As for Castleton Avenue, during the 2005 (MTA) strike cabs were hard to come by and if you caught one they would charge an arm and a leg, so a few times I actually walked from the house to the ferry and took the hills up and over to Victory Blvd via Castleton Avenue. One day I did Richmond Terrace, but I preferred Castleon even w/the hills because you eventually get to Randall Manor which is quite enjoyable to walk through in the morning and reminds me a lot of where I live in West Brighton (yes live since I've got a few more weeks until I move officially to Riverdale). :cool: I found Richmond Terrace to be quite creepy because it is so industrial and it seemed like I would never get to the ferry. I actually was offered a ride and actually took it because I was sick of walking and there were several people in the car so I felt safe getting in. Under normal circumstances I would NEVER take a ride like that, but that was a unique situation. At night I would take Victory Blvd up to the Forest though since it was safer and I was more familiar and comfortable walking down Forest to the house. Going to the ferry though, my thinking was that I had to leave so early that the project folks wouldn't be out and about since #1 it was early in the morning and #2 it was pretty cold out, so the likelihood of anyone trying to rob me was slim and I was spot on. There wasn't a soul out over by those projects, but I only went that way once. By the third day I was already sick of walking and managed to hail a cab along the way to the ferry. I was basically walking to the ferry and then from the ferry to my office on 18th and 5th, something I could only do in the freezing cold, otherwise I'd be a sweaty mess.

And in any case, I doubt you've used the S46 on the western end, by South Avenue. There's literally nothing of interest along that area. The West Shore Plaza doesn't really have anything aside from the DMV, and everything else along South Avenue is residential.

I haven't but I was very close to going over there, so you're wrong yet again. Stop assuming you know what I do and don't do on Staten Island. There's a storage place over there and I was considering going there to store some of my things there until I moved since the house at the time was sort of up in the air in terms of how soon it would sell. Like I said, I've been living here far longer than you have so you really don't know where I've been or where I will go.

What are you talking about? The primary reason I gave for wanting less service was lack of ridership. More reliable service in the northern part was a secondary reason to want fewer/none of the buses to go there (and again, to clarify, I wouldn't leave the area with no service).

As far as leaving them without alternatives, well there are other areas where there's only one infrequent local bus. A lot of areas on the South Shore are like that.

BBBBBBBSSSS!!! That's the primary reason you're giving now, but that wasn't the primary reason before. You made a big stink about the S46s bunching because of that set up.

1) LOL... I never attended CSI. I just had to go there for my study abroad orientation. For that I did come from Midwood and man what a PITA commute! :( As for Castleton Avenue, during the 2005 (MTA) strike cabs were hard to come by and if you caught one they would charge an arm and a leg, so a few times I actually walked from the house to the ferry and took the hills up and over to Victory Blvd via Castleton Avenue. One day I did Richmond Terrace, but I preferred Castleon even w/the hills because you eventually get to Randall Manor which is quite enjoyable to walk through in the morning and reminds me a lot of where I live in West Brighton (yes live since I've got a few more weeks until I move officially to Riverdale). :cool: I found Richmond Terrace to be quite creepy because it is so industrial and it seemed like I would never get to the ferry. I actually was offered a ride and actually took it because I was sick of walking and there were several people in the car so I felt safe getting in. Under normal circumstances I would NEVER take a ride like that, but that was a unique situation. At night I would take Victory Blvd up to the Forest though since it was safer and I was more familiar and comfortable walking down Forest to the house. Going to the ferry though, my thinking was that I had to leave so early that the project folks wouldn't be out and about since #1 it was early in the morning and #2 it was pretty cold out, so the likelihood of anyone trying to rob me was slim and I was spot on. There wasn't a soul out over by those projects, but I only went that way once. By the third day I was already sick of walking and managed to hail a cab along the way to the ferry. I was basically walking to the ferry and then from the ferry to my office on 18th and 5th, something I could only do in the freezing cold, otherwise I'd be a sweaty mess.

2) I haven't but I was very close to going over there, so you're wrong yet again. Stop assuming you know what I do and don't do on Staten Island. There's a storage place over there and I was considering going there to store some of my things there until I moved since the house at the time was sort of up in the air in terms of how soon it would sell. Like I said, I've been living here far longer than you have so you really don't know where I've been or where I will go.

3) BBBBBBBSSSS!!! That's the primary reason you're giving now, but that wasn't the primary reason before. You made a big stink about the S46s bunching because of that set up.

1) Walking along Castleton Avenue isn't the same as taking the S46. You can't see the ridership habits if there's no buses running. ;) (Then again, you did say you went there when Forest Avenue was shut down. I assume you went early in the morning like you did with the transit strike)

In any case, I'm surprised you'd even walk back from St. George at night. If you go down Victory Blvd, you're still passing through a run-down area by the sanitation garage.

2) Yeah, you almost went there. That's not the same as going there. And in any case, were you planning on taking a bus there? Well, if I see a guy carrying a sofa across Forest Avenue/South Avenue, I'll know who it is. :P

And either way, that one time when you could've possibly took the S46 down to the West Shore Plaza isn't enough to actually qualify you as being an expert on ridership patterns now is it?

And you haven't been actually living here longer than I have. I've lived here since 2004, and you said a while back that you permenantly moved here in that same year. Before, you were traveling back and forth, but that's not the same as living here, now is it?

3) Check the thread again. I only brought up the bunching towards the end of the thread. (Except for when I was talking about how they purposely had specific runs bunching up)

1) Walking along Castleton Avenue isn't the same as taking the S46. You can't see the ridership habits if there's no buses running. ;) (Then again, you did say you went there when Forest Avenue was shut down. I assume you went early in the morning like you did with the transit strike)

In any case, I'm surprised you'd even walk back from St. George at night. If you go down Victory Blvd, you're still passing through a run-down area by the sanitation garage.

Don't get it twisted. What genius would actually go parading up and down in ghetto areas just for the hell of it? Maybe you like doing that but I don't. The point is no one with common sense is going to make themselves a target unnecessarily. I'm not afraid to go anywhere as I'm a New Yorker, but I most certainly am not going to go to the hood just to make a point or something and make myself a target as if I need to prove how tough I am.

I went that way because the odds of something jumping off at 06:30 in the morning were slim and because it was a bit quicker than meandering about on Forest Avenue. In sum, could I ride the local buses everyday on Staten Island?? For short distances yes and as a matter I have been doing so just about everyday to get to the express bus, but obviously it is much more comfortable and less stressful riding on the express bus and far less riff raff, not to mention that the local buses are just terribly slow, with the exception of the S54, which makes few stops.

If Bus Time hadn't arrived I would still be taking car service and in fact I still do when I don't want to be bothered with the local buses on Staten Island, but now that I know where the bus, and how long my wait will be that makes it more tempting to use it if the bus isn't packed and moves quickly. I don't like having people near me and smelling their stench and everything and some of those folks on the local bus stink more so than on the express bus. Usually on the express bus on Staten Island every now and again, I'll get some nasty male or female smoker that just reeks of cigarettes to the point that it's embedded in their skin like yesterday, but overall the folks look and smell clean.

Last night some white guy got on the X14 and sat behind me and I literally had to move to the aisle seat just to get away from that stench of cigarette. Really gross. The local buses generally have no air on so they stink even more, even the new ones, not to mention that they don't clean them, so since my ride is short I don't even bother to sit down.

2) Yeah, you almost went there. That's not the same as going there. And in any case, were you planning on taking a bus there? Well, if I see a guy carrying a sofa across Forest Avenue/South Avenue, I'll know who it is. :( And either way, that one time when you could've possibly took the S46 down to the West Shore Plaza isn't enough to actually qualify you as being an expert on ridership patterns now is it?

The point is you don't know where I've been so just quit it already. As for the S46, please. The S46 isn't anymore different than any other Staten Island local bus. You act like it's so friggin' unique. Castleton Avenue is very similar to Forest in terms of its layout which is what it travels down for most of its route. South Avenue generally doesn't get too backed up either, so the delays generally come along Castleton. Sure it has its own unique differences from the other SI local routes, but since it serves the ferry it most certainly shares many other characteristics that other local SI buses have that serve the ferry.

And you haven't been actually living here longer than I have. I've lived here since 2004, and you said a while back that you permenantly moved here in that same year. Before, you were traveling back and forth, but that's not the same as living here, now is it?

Technically I've been living here longer than you since I was living off and on Staten Island before 2004 from 1999, so like I said, yeah, I've been living here longer than you. When you're in college you live all over the place, but my permanent residence was here in New York City.

3) Check the thread again. I only brought up the bunching towards the end of the thread. (Except for when I was talking about how they purposely had specific runs bunching up)

Yeah yeah yeah... I'm not buying it. Either way you're advocating for a reduction of service there for no good reason simply because you think the ridership doesn't warrant the service. Now you've said that the S46s bunch so much yet you would have service reduced to the West Shore Plaza and the Teleport, which would make service worse for those people not only because of fewer buses but also because of the bunching. :tdown:

1) Don't get it twisted. What genius would actually go parading up and down in ghetto areas just for the hell of it? Maybe you like doing that but I don't. The point is no one with common sense is going to make themselves a target unnecessarily. I'm not afraid to go anywhere as I'm a New Yorker, but I most certainly am not going to go to the hood just to make a point or something and make myself a target as if I need to prove how tough I am.

2) The point is you don't know where I've been so just quit it already. As for the S46, please. The S46 isn't anymore different than any other Staten Island local bus. You act like it's so friggin' unique. Castleton Avenue is very similar to Forest in terms of its layout which is what it travels down for most of its route. South Avenue generally doesn't get too backed up either, so the delays generally come along Castleton. Sure it has its own unique differences from the other SI local routes, but since it serves the ferry it most certainly shares many other characteristics that other local SI buses have that serve the ferry.

3) Yeah yeah yeah... I'm not buying it. Either way you're advocating for a reduction of service there for no good reason simply because you think the ridership doesn't warrant the service. Now you've said that the S46s bunch so much yet you would have service reduced to the West Shore Plaza and the Teleport, which would make service worse for those people not only because of fewer buses but also because of the bunching. :tdown:

1) You said that going there you would walk down Castleton or Richmond Terrace, and going back, you would take Victory Blvd to Forest Avenue. If you're taking Victory Blvd to Forest Avenue, you're passing by the sanitation garage, aren't you?

And in case you were wondering, no I don't go into "the hood" for no reason.

2) Yeah, except that for a good portion of its route, the S46 spends its time in residential neighborhoods. Aside from Morningstar Road, basically everything west of Port Richmond Avenue is residential streets. That definitely does impact the ridership habits.

3) And that's where the dispatchers come in. If they see a problem, they can extend and shorten the buses accordingly. So if they see a large gap along South Avenue, they can send one of the buses that normally terminates at Forest Avenue down to the Teleport or West Shore Plaza, whichever needs the bus more.

1) You said that going there you would walk down Castleton or Richmond Terrace, and going back, you would take Victory Blvd to Forest Avenue. If you're taking Victory Blvd to Forest Avenue, you're passing by the sanitation garage, aren't you?

Well yeah duh... :( I mean there are only so many ways I can go. It wasn't late at night. It was during rush hour. I just kept an eye on my surroundings and I was fine. That's not to say that I haven't gotten looks when I've walked down by Victory over near Bay Street, but I dare someone to even try anything. I give them the look back like yeah try me motherf-r. :mad: I don't like going into the hood, but start something with me and you had better be packing something or be in a group or something and even then that may not save you. In other words I can be a crazy SOB if pushed to the limit. I am 30 years old and I have experienced quite a bit in those 30 years having lived all over the place, so I may not be all that hip on the slang, but I do have street smarts. I know one thing... There is no way in hell that you could get me to walk down Jersey St, regardless of the time of day. LOL

And in case you were wondering, no I don't go into "the hood" for no reason.

You're the type, you like to explore, so I don't know how true that statement is. lol

2) Yeah, except that for a good portion of its route, the S46 spends its time in residential neighborhoods. Aside from Morningstar Road, basically everything west of Port Richmond Avenue is residential streets. That definitely does impact the ridership habits.

Yes, and your point is??

3) And that's where the dispatchers come in. If they see a problem, they can extend and shorten the buses accordingly. So if they see a large gap along South Avenue, they can send one of the buses that normally terminates at Forest Avenue down to the Teleport or West Shore Plaza, whichever needs the bus more.

They should be, but sometimes I don't think they have a clue either. Coming back from Whole Foods today I couldn't believe how many buses I saw bunched up coming from 8th street up Park Avenue South. A M3 came, followed by an M1 and then the M2 came behind that so I took it. Then two more M1s came, so you had 3 M1s, an M3 and an M2 all running together. The M2 was starting to piss us off because he's a limited and he's sitting there sitting behind the friggin' local buses. :mad: And he wasn't early either. He was clearly doing that to avoid picking up passengers because no other M2s came while I was on the bus.

1) Well yeah duh... :( I mean there are only so many ways I can go. It wasn't late at night. It was during rush hour. I just kept an eye on my surroundings and I was fine. That's not to say that I haven't gotten looks when I've walked down by Victory over near Bay Street, but I dare someone to even try anything. I give them the look back like yeah try me motherf-r. :mad: I don't like going into the hood, but start something with me and you had better be packing something or be in a group or something and even then that may not save you. In other words I can be a crazy SOB if pushed to the limit. I am 30 years old and I have experienced quite a bit in those 30 years having lived all over the place, so I may not be all that hip on the slang, but I do have street smarts. I know one thing... There is no way in hell that you could get me to walk down Jersey St, regardless of the time of day. LOL

2) You're the type, you like to explore, so I don't know how true that statement is. lol

3) Yes, and your point is??

4) They should be, but sometimes I don't think they have a clue either. Coming back from Whole Foods today I couldn't believe how many buses I saw bunched up coming from 8th street up Park Avenue South. A M3 came, followed by an M1 and then the M2 came behind that so I took it. Then two more M1s came, so you had 3 M1s, an M3 and an M2 all running together. The M2 was starting to piss us off because he's a limited and he's sitting there sitting behind the friggin' local buses. :mad: And he wasn't early either. He was clearly doing that to avoid picking up passengers because no other M2s came while I was on the bus.

1) But if it's in the afternoon, it gets dark early, so that's why I asked.

2) Well the point is that I don't go into areas that I'm unfamiliar with just for the hell of it. Like for instance, I go to the Port Richmond Library sometimes, but that's only because my school is in Port Richmond and it's the closest library if I want to go after school. And when I go along Castleton Avenue in West Brighton, it's because I'm transferring from the S46 to the S53 to get to the YMCA.

But passing through gives you a feel of the safety of the area. So for instance, passing through the area by Castleton & Broadway, it's best to avoid it completely after dark. But when I went to the Port Richmond Library, that "safety period" would extend a little bit later (and I have come back from that library around 18:30 and nothing happened), and that was my way around having to get off by Broadway: I would get off at Port Richmond Avenue or Park Avenue and wait there.

When I walk from school down to the S44, that area seems like it's safer than the northern part of Port Richmond, and I'd say that it's alright 24/7 as long as you're alert. There's something I do in the southeastern part of Mariners' Harbor, and that seems like it falls into the same category. I haven't walked there really late at night (like say, midnight), but I don't think there's a high chance of you getting mugged as long as you don't do anything stupid (but I have walked there around 21:00, and I've taken the S96 through there around 22:30 and didn't see anything particularly unnerving, like a bunch of people hanging out on a side street or anything)

So basically, that's how I made that map. I designed it based on the perspective of a lightly-built teenager, but one who has enough street smarts from living in an urban area (of course, urban meaning dense), but not any real ghetto areas. Red are areas where I've felt uncomfortable during the day, orange are the areas where I've felt fine during the day, but a suburbanite would probably call it ghetto, and yellow would be areas where something just felt "off", but there's no real threat of danger.

3) So the point is that the ridership patterns are going to be different from the S48. Pretty much all of Forest Avenue is commercial (except for maybe the eastern section by Victory Blvd because you have Silver Lake Park), and when it ends in Arlington, it's a dense residential neighborhood. The S46 ends in the middle of nowhere, and doesn't spend as much time along commercial corridors as the S48 does (because west of Port Richmond Avenue is mostly residential)

4) Well then that's something that'll have to be worked out. Training the dispatchers better (or doing something to ensure they're keeping the buses running as they should be) is cheaper in the long run than running extra service where the ridership is low. Like I said, you just have to make sure that every bus on the schedule shows up.

1) But if it's in the afternoon, it gets dark early, so that's why I asked.

Well of course it was dark. We're talking about the winter of 2005 during the (MTA) strike. :( However, it wasn't like it was midnight or anything. It was during the evening rush.

3) So the point is that the ridership patterns are going to be different from the S48. Pretty much all of Forest Avenue is commercial (except for maybe the eastern section by Victory Blvd because you have Silver Lake Park), and when it ends in Arlington, it's a dense residential neighborhood. The S46 ends in the middle of nowhere, and doesn't spend as much time along commercial corridors as the S48 does (because west of Port Richmond Avenue is mostly residential)

Umm... Wrong... A lot of West Brighton is not commercial. A lot of those houses there along Forest Ave are houses and not stores or anything. You have some commercial stores from around Broadway and Forest until say Hart Blvd, but there are plenty of houses in between there.

1) Well of course it was dark. We're talking about the winter of 2005 during the (MTA) strike. :( However, it wasn't like it was midnight or anything. It was during the evening rush.

2) Umm... Wrong... A lot of West Brighton is not commercial. A lot of those houses there along Forest Ave are houses and not stores or anything. You have some commercial stores from around Broadway and Forest until say Hart Blvd, but there are plenty of houses in between there.

1) Yeah, I know it was in late December.

2) On the S46, those are narrow (in some areas) residential streets with stop signs every couple of blocks, so it feels different than Forest Avenue, which is a main street with traffic lights.

Don't mean to divert the topic, but what is this talk about safe and not safe? All of Staten Island is safe and a walk in the park compared to other boros, even manhattan itself. It's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and that can happen in any neighborhood.

LMAO... Let's not go overboard now... Jersey St is not at all safe (rampid drug and crime problems) and Stapleton... Forget it... All of those areas there where there are projects are the pits. We have the lowest crime out of all of the other boroughs, but the highest crime is very concentrated... Park Hill, Stapleton, New Brighton, Mariners' Harbor, Arlington, Tompkinsville, Port Richmond and parts of St. George in partricular. West Brighton is very safe. I am of course excluding those projects, as they are not part of West Brighton... The whole area past Delafield Avenue & Broadway should be renamed to Livingston or something. They have more in common with those folks anyway.

Don't mean to divert the topic, but what is this talk about safe and not safe? All of Staten Island is safe and a walk in the park compared to other boros, even manhattan itself. It's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and that can happen in any neighborhood.

It depends on the area. Of course, for instance Tottenville is safer than East Harlem, but you can't deny that there are sketchy areas on SI. Like I said, there are some areas that are overhyped, mostly because of their large minority populations, but there are areas that really do feel unsafe. I've walked down Union Avenue in Mariners' Harbor in the evening and felt fine. But I've walked down Bay Street in Stapleton and it wasn't so fine. Yeah, nothing physically happened to me personally in either case, but there was definitely a greater chance of something happening in Stapleton.

Yeah, maybe the worst sections of SI are better than the worst sections of the other boroughs, but that still doesn't make them "a walk in the park".

LMAO... Let's not go overboard now... Jersey St is not at all safe (rampid drug and crime problems) and Stapleton... Forget it... All of those areas there where there are projects are the pits. We have the lowest crime out of all of the other boroughs, but the highest crime is very concentrated... Park Hill, Stapleton, New Brighton, Mariners' Harbor, Arlington, Tompkinsville, Port Richmond and parts of St. George in partricular. West Brighton is very safe. I am of course excluding those projects, as they are not part of West Brighton... The whole area past Delafield Avenue & Broadway should be renamed to Livingston or something. They have more in common with those folks anyway.

Uh, no. What about the Berry Houses, Todt Hill Houses, and South Beach Houses? How about the Cassidy-Lafayette Houses (senior-only)? I don't think I have to worry about an old man with a cane trying to mug me. :P

And if you renamed the northern part of West Brighton to Livington, then those people would be asking for a name change. You do realize Allen Cappelli lives in Livingston, don't you? (Aside from the fact that you can look it up on the Internet, it's been mentioned in a bunch of articles that you used to bring up about SI transit. "Allen Cappelli of Livingston...") I highly doubt you have lawyers living in the projects. :(

Archived