Will Bus Time lead to increased ridership?

Via Garibaldi 8

I disagree, if the MTA provided the S83 service at reasonable service levels not above 15 minutes (it's connecting to the (R) and not the ferry!), it would pay for itself from increased ridership.

12 minute local headways and 20 minute limited headways is already more service than the S53 currently has. If ridership increases, more service can be added if necessary.

1) LOL... But yet you think it's okay to reduce service on other lines and have folks wait upwards to an hour for a local bus?? I don't get your logic at all. ;)

2) Well then I guess you just answered your question... That's the difference between me and you. You only advocate for service improvements that affect you. You should be arguing for improvements ISLAND wide because the truth is Staten Island is underserved transit wise. No question about it.

3) Oh please.... People will always be running for the bus because people are lazy by nature. They'll wait until the last minute to catch the bus if they can.

4) Well if you care about your travel time so much you wouldn't have moved to Staten Island. Hell, I wanted a shorter commute without having to deal with the bloody local bus or car service, but still wanted to be in the suburbs so I moved to Riverdale. :cool: :tup:

5) Oh just quit it already... As if the world is coming to an end because you had to stay on the bus an extra 5 minutes... :(

6) The travel times are being improved already because the buses are arriving on time.

7) Safety=money saved... :P

1) Except there's a difference. The "downtime" (time you're forced to spend waiting for the bus) is less.

If the bus runs every hour, then you should realistically arrive 5-10 minutes ahead of time so you don't miss it. That means it's only 5-10 minutes of wasted waiting time. If you have to arrive 20 minutes in advance to make your ferry, that's 20 minutes of waiting time, plus another 5 minutes to waiting time to catch your bus. So you're talking about 25 minutes of wasted time rather than 5-10 minutes of wasted time.

Not to mention that there's two different reasons for the wait time. In the first instance, it's because of low ridership. In the second instance, it's because the MTA can't schedule the buses properly.

2) I'd like to have some of what you're smoking. The S83 would actually hurt me because most of the time when I use it, I'm going to the YMCA, which would be a local stop, but I advocate for it because I know it would benefit riders along the line overall. I really don't have to go to Brooklyn or Manhattan that often.

And I've repeatedly advocated for the S54 to be restructured so that the individual sections (Manor Road and Giffords Lane) have 7-day service that takes the passengers where they want to go and costs the MTA less money than the current pattern (actually it costs the same amount, but the MTA gets money from additional ridership). I've wanted S66 service on weekends, and I've also wanted a few improvements in the other boroughs as well (restructuring the B31 so it goes further west and brings people to more destinations, simplifying the network in the process, restoring cuts like the B4, B64, Q79, and a few others)

Of course, the very first thing I advocated for was the S93 extension: Because that would be in my immediate area. I don't know about you, but I don't have unlimited time. If I'm going to invest a bunch of time and energy into something, of course it's going to be something that benefits me. That means you're also selfish because the first thing you advocated for was the S83, rather than something else (like reverse-peak S98 service, because even though you live near there, you barely use the S48/S98 because you use the express buses).

And I've also advocated for some reductions on routes I use. Yeah, real selfish.

3) How do you know that? They were running 5 minutes after the bus was scheduled to leave. Yeah, maybe they were running because they waited until the last minute, but chances are a Park-and-Ride rider is going to allow themselves a little bit of extra time, because they already know they're saving time by not having to walk to catch the bus.

4) Yeah, because a 9 year-old (back when I moved) really has a lot of choice in where his family moves.

5) So let's needlessly slow down all the buses, then. Because everybody should be allowing themselves plenty of travel time. Who cares that NYC's buses are already some of the slowest in the nation? Let's make 'em slower. And let's get rid of all the +SBS+ routes, even though they save time for the riders and money for the MTA. :tdown:

6) And they can be improved more if the S83 is implemented.

7) Except I'm not advocating for B/Os to drive dangerously. There are plenty of instances where they can drive safely and still keep a tighter schedule. You said the S54s used to come 15 minutes early. Well, even if they were flooring it, that means that you could easily shave 5 minutes off the runtime without impacting safety one bit.

1) Except there's a difference. The "downtime" (time you're forced to spend waiting for the bus) is less.

If the bus runs every hour, then you should realistically arrive 5-10 minutes ahead of time so you don't miss it. That means it's only 5-10 minutes of wasted waiting time. If you have to arrive 20 minutes in advance to make your ferry, that's 20 minutes of waiting time, plus another 5 minutes to waiting time to catch your bus. So you're talking about 25 minutes of wasted time rather than 5-10 minutes of wasted time.

Not to mention that there's two different reasons for the wait time. In the first instance, it's because of low ridership. In the second instance, it's because the MTA can't schedule the buses properly.

Oh please... Don't even try to sit there and downplay waiting an hour for a local bus. If you need to make a connection to that bus that runs once an hour and that connection gets screwed up well then you've got to wait an hour or more for the next bus. Not to mention that buses can break down or someone may very well not know what time the bus comes and just shows up. Things that you clearly have not considered. There is no reason why a bus should run an hour on the weekends... 30 minute headways is long enough.

2) I'd like to have some of what you're smoking. The S83 would actually hurt me because most of the time when I use it, I'm going to the YMCA, which would be a local stop, but I advocate for it because I know it would benefit riders along the line overall. I really don't have to go to Brooklyn or Manhattan that often.

Yeah right... At the moment you don't...

And I've repeatedly advocated for the S54 to be restructured so that the individual sections (Manor Road and Giffords Lane) have 7-day service that takes the passengers where they want to go and costs the MTA less money than the current pattern (actually it costs the same amount, but the MTA gets money from additional ridership). I've wanted S66 service on weekends, and I've also wanted a few improvements in the other boroughs as well (restructuring the B31 so it goes further west and brings people to more destinations, simplifying the network in the process, restoring cuts like the B4, B64, Q79, and a few others)

Of course, the very first thing I advocated for was the S93 extension: Because that would be in my immediate area. I don't know about you, but I don't have unlimited time. If I'm going to invest a bunch of time and energy into something, of course it's going to be something that benefits me. That means you're also selfish because the first thing you advocated for was the S83, rather than something else (like reverse-peak S98 service, because even though you live near there, you barely use the S48/S98 because you use the express buses).

And I've also advocated for some reductions on routes I use. Yeah, real selfish.

Correction... Lived... I'm paying rent in Riverdale not in West Brighton. lol I'm staying here for a few more weeks or so but I live in Riverdale.

Anywho, your call for reduction of service on the S57 makes no sense where there is no north-south bus service on the weekends from Forest & Broadway until Forest & Decker. :tdown:

3) How do you know that? They were running 5 minutes after the bus was scheduled to leave. Yeah, maybe they were running because they waited until the last minute, but chances are a Park-and-Ride rider is going to allow themselves a little bit of extra time, because they already know they're saving time by not having to walk to catch the bus.

Simple because I see it all the time. People always wait until the last minute to catch the bus. Just the way it is.

4) Yeah, because a 9 year-old (back when I moved) really has a lot of choice in where his family moves.

Oh yeah? Well then maybe you should take back that comment about folks "knowing where they're moving" that you made because some folks don't have a choice about where they live.

5) So let's needlessly slow down all the buses, then. Because everybody should be allowing themselves plenty of travel time. Who cares that NYC's buses are already some of the slowest in the nation? Let's make 'em slower. And let's get rid of all the +SBS+ routes, even though they save time for the riders and money for the MTA. :tdown:

Oh please... Let's not confuse things here... You're talking about buses being slow and I'm talking them being on time. Two very different things. Like I said my commutes overall have been faster with the buses being ontime, in some cases by up to 15 minutes.

7) Except I'm not advocating for B/Os to drive dangerously. There are plenty of instances where they can drive safely and still keep a tighter schedule. You said the S54s used to come 15 minutes early. Well, even if they were flooring it, that means that you could easily shave 5 minutes off the runtime without impacting safety one bit.

Seems like you are to me.

1) Oh please... Don't even try to sit there and downplay waiting an hour for a local bus. If you need to make a connection to that bus that runs once an hour and that connection gets screwed up well then you've got to wait an hour or more for the next bus. Not to mention that buses can break down or someone may very well not know what time the bus comes and just shows up. Things that you clearly have not considered. There is no reason why a bus should run an hour on the weekends... 30 minute headways is long enough.

2) Yeah right... At the moment you don't...

3) Correction... Lived... I'm paying rent in Riverdale not in West Brighton. lol I'm staying here for a few more weeks or so but I live in Riverdale.

Anywho, your call for reduction of service on the S57 makes no sense where there is no north-south bus service on the weekends from Forest & Broadway until Forest & Decker. :tdown:

4) Simple because I see it all the time. People always wait until the last minute to catch the bus. Just the way it is.

5) Oh yeah? Well then maybe you should take back that comment about folks "knowing where they're moving" that you made because some folks don't have a choice about where they live.

6) Oh please... Let's not confuse things here... You're talking about buses being slow and I'm talking them being on time. Two very different things. Like I said my commutes overall have been faster with the buses being ontime, in some cases by up to 15 minutes.

7) Seems like you are to me.

1) Like I said, they do it in other places with similar characteristics as SI. You just have to make sure that you send out every bus that's supposed to be on the schedule.

And the argument about "Not knowing the schedule" is BS. Yeah, it sucks if you end up having to wait the full hour, but that's no reason to have to add service.

2) Huh? As of now, most of my trips on the S53 are to go to the YMCA. Unless you somehow follow me around (which would only confirm that what I said is true) you're not going to sit there and tell me where my destinations are.

Even when I was going to Manhattan over the summer I wouldn't take the S53 because between the transfer to the S62 and all those stops in Grasmere/South Beach, it was much faster to take the S93 (and even then, most of my trips were on the ferry. Out of the 30-something times I had to go, I think I only used the S93 6 times or so)

3) That statement was true at the time of the meeting you attended.

And would it kill you to read the entire quote? You completely ignored the part where I said I would add weekend S66 and modified S54 service. So quit with the BS about "No service between Decker Avenue and Broadway".

4) Then explain why they look so surprised when they see the bus there: They didn't expect the bus to be there at the time because they thought it already passed.

Believe me, having to wait for the S46/S96 at that intersection gave me a lot of time to see the waiting habits of the S89 riders (at least the park-and-ride ones). They show up 5-10 minutes before the bus shows up and calmly wait for a bus. But if they see the bus waiting right there, they're not going to sit there and wait for the next one. Yeah, I'm sure there are some people running late, but there are people who caught the bus before the one they expected to catch because he came a little bit late.

5) When the parents move to an area, they should take the child(ren) into consideration. And by that, I don't mean "We can't move here because the transit is no good". I mean "Is the cheaper price (or proximity to work or some other factor) worth the worse transit?". Yeah, there are people who move because of circumstances beyond their control (maybe they're doubling up) but we shouldn't design transit solely to fit their needs.

And like I said before, people have every right to complain. They just shouldn't expect transit to change to suit their needs unless it is feasable (based on ridership, costs, geography, etc)

Like for instance, I shouldn't expect 2 minute frequencies along Richmond Avenue, but is it unreasonable to expect the buses to come evenly spaced? (And at some times of the day, they actually do come evenly spaced, and that's great). You shouldn't expect 2 minute frequencies on the S48, but would some reverse-peak and off-peak S98 service be an unreasonable request? (Back when you lived in West Brighton, of course)

6) A bus can still move faster and still be on time, if the schedule is adjusted accordingly.

And no, your response was "Oh just quit it already... As if the world is coming to an end because you had to stay on the bus an extra 5 minutes... ", which refers to speed, not being on time.

7) And as usual, you completely ignore the second half of my quote. :tdown:

Yes, even though I explained it several times before, it still seems like I'm advocating for them to drive dangerously, and after I explain it one more time, you still think that's the case. I give up.....

1) Like I said, they do it in other places with similar characteristics as SI. You just have to make sure that you send out every bus that's supposed to be on the schedule.

And the argument about "Not knowing the schedule" is BS. Yeah, it sucks if you end up having to wait the full hour, but that's no reason to have to add service.

So what? Just because they do it in one place doesn't mean it works here. And the argument about "not knowing the schedule" is not BS. It's a reality that you just choose to overlook to suit your argument.

2) Huh? As of now, most of my trips on the S53 are to go to the YMCA. Unless you somehow follow me around (which would only confirm that what I said is true) you're not going to sit there and tell me where my destinations are.

Even when I was going to Manhattan over the summer I wouldn't take the S53 because between the transfer to the S62 and all those stops in Grasmere/South Beach, it was much faster to take the S93 (and even then, most of my trips were on the ferry. Out of the 30-something times I had to go, I think I only used the S93 6 times or so)

Huh??? Unless I'm reading things, YOU said you don't go to Manhattan that much, so just stop already. You sit here and talk about where you go and then talk about how I'm trying to tell you where your destinations are. LOL

3) That statement was true at the time of the meeting you attended.

Well that was then and this is now...

And would it kill you to read the entire quote? You completely ignored the part where I said I would add weekend S66 and modified S54 service. So quit with the BS about "No service between Decker Avenue and Broadway".

I read it and I still disagree. Local service shouldn't run with anything less than 30 minute headways, period.

4) Then explain why they look so surprised when they see the bus there: They didn't expect the bus to be there at the time because they thought it already passed.

Many people just show up to the stop. They have no clue when the bus is coming. If they're a regular as I often see, they know when the bus comes, but still take their sweet time getting to the stop. The women are especially good for this. They get close enough to the stop for the B/O to see them then stroll about like prima donnas while the B/O holds up the entire bus for them... They're special you know. B)

Believe me, having to wait for the S46/S96 at that intersection gave me a lot of time to see the waiting habits of the S89 riders (at least the park-and-ride ones). They show up 5-10 minutes before the bus shows up and calmly wait for a bus. But if they see the bus waiting right there, they're not going to sit there and wait for the next one. Yeah, I'm sure there are some people running late, but there are people who caught the bus before the one they expected to catch because he came a little bit late.

Yeah, plenty of people come early, and plenty of people wait until the last minute. It's nothing "particular" to the S89 because it's a park-and-ride either. The same crap happens on the X30 and other routes that have park-and-rides.

5) When the parents move to an area, they should take the child(ren) into consideration. And by that, I don't mean "We can't move here because the transit is no good". I mean "Is the cheaper price (or proximity to work or some other factor) worth the worse transit?". Yeah, there are people who move because of circumstances beyond their control (maybe they're doubling up) but we shouldn't design transit solely to fit their needs.

And like I said before, people have every right to complain. They just shouldn't expect transit to change to suit their needs unless it is feasable (based on ridership, costs, geography, etc)

Like for instance, I shouldn't expect 2 minute frequencies along Richmond Avenue, but is it unreasonable to expect the buses to come evenly spaced? (And at some times of the day, they actually do come evenly spaced, and that's great). You shouldn't expect 2 minute frequencies on the S48, but would some reverse-peak and off-peak S98 service be an unreasonable request? (Back when you lived in West Brighton, of course)

I don't think you know what you want. One minute you say Staten Island gets good service and the next you complain about buses needing to be spaced properly, but then you say that B/Os shouldn't have to wait around at stops... Full of contradictions... B)

6) A bus can still move faster and still be on time, if the schedule is adjusted accordingly.

And no, your response was "Oh just quit it already... As if the world is coming to an end because you had to stay on the bus an extra 5 minutes... ", which refers to speed, not being on time.

You make it sound like the (MTA) just is clueless when it comes to creating schedules. It's more like some B/Os don't know how to hold to a schedule. Many X10 drivers know how to operate so that the bus comes as scheduled and some STILL don't know how to do it. You're not going to have B/Os changing their habits over night if they were coming whenever they wanted before and that's the real problem. They'll adjust over time.

7) And as usual, you completely ignore the second half of my quote. :tdown:

Yes, even though I explained it several times before, it still seems like I'm advocating for them to drive dangerously, and after I explain it one more time, you still think that's the case. I give up.....

Just because you explain yourself several times doesn't mean that I have to believe that you're saying what you claim you're saying.

1) So what? Just because they do it in one place doesn't mean it works here. And the argument about "not knowing the schedule" is not BS. It's a reality that you just choose to overlook to suit your argument.

2) Huh??? Unless I'm reading things, YOU said you don't go to Manhattan that much, so just stop already. You sit here and talk about where you go and then talk about how I'm trying to tell you where your destinations are. LOL

3) I read it and I still disagree. Local service shouldn't run with anything less than 30 minute headways, period.

4) Many people just show up to the stop. They have no clue when the bus is coming. If they're a regular as I often see, they know when the bus comes, but still take their sweet time getting to the stop. The women are especially good for this. They get close enough to the stop for the B/O to see them then stroll about like prima donnas while the B/O holds up the entire bus for them... They're special you know. B)

5) Yeah, plenty of people come early, and plenty of people wait until the last minute. It's nothing "particular" to the S89 because it's a park-and-ride either. The same crap happens on the X30 and other routes that have park-and-rides.

6) I don't think you know what you want. One minute you say Staten Island gets good service and the next you complain about buses needing to be spaced properly, but then you say that B/Os shouldn't have to wait around at stops... Full of contradictions... B)

7) You make it sound like the (MTA) just is clueless when it comes to creating schedules. It's more like some B/Os don't know how to hold to a schedule. Many X10 drivers know how to operate so that the bus comes as scheduled and some STILL don't know how to do it. You're not going to have B/Os changing their habits over night if they were coming whenever they wanted before and that's the real problem. They'll adjust over time.

8) Just because you explain yourself several times doesn't mean that I have to believe that you're saying what you claim you're saying.

1) Then let's run bus service every 5 minutes everywhere because some people might not know the schedule.

If you're out in Suffolk County, a lot of the routes run every 60 minutes. If somebody knows the schedule, I feel sorry for them, but there's nothing you can do.

And don't give me BS about how somehow because we're within city limits that means that we should get better service even if ridership doesn't warrant it. Yeah, I doubt S57 ridership is Suffolk County-style low, but it's still lower than most SI routes.

2) What the hell are you talking about? I don't go to Manhattan often, and when I use the S53, it's often to go to the YMCA, which I doubt they would make a limited stop. So your whole "You're just arguing for better service to suit yourself" is BS.

3) Even if it means service can be restored in the same neighborhood.

4) Those people look like regulars to me.

Well, at least they actually run for the bus. They don't just stroll over like you said.

5) Except that it's not a matter of "The bus comes at (for instance) 9:00, so I'll wait until 8:59 to pull into the parking lot". It's a matter of "It's 9:05 and I'm pulling into the parking lot". They aren't waiting until the last minute because they (should) know that they weren't supposed to have caught that particular run.

6) What are you talking about? You just adjust the schedules accordingly. If a bus ends up being scheduled to arrive 5 minutes earlier than it used to, then you adjust the times of the other buses accordingly.

If a bus still manages to get ahead of schedule (even after they cut the runtime) then yeah, of course they should wait for a few minutes so they don't get ahead.

7) That's not the issue I'm debating, though.

Let's say that with BusTime, all of the drivers somehow adjusted so that they don't come early (in a perfect world). Well, that's great, but it could be even better if the drivers didn't have to idle. As a passenger, I want to feel like I'm getting somewhere, so if the bus has to crawl along the route, or idle at stops, or worse, open the doors at every stop as if there are passengers getting on even though there aren't any, I'm going to be pissed.

At the time I travel, that's not really an issue. Maybe they'll kill one traffic light if even that, but I'm just saying in general, that shouldn't happen.

8) Well, personally I'd love it if the buses all drove like the dollar vans in Brooklyn, but I know that's not realistic to expect.

You still haven't refuted my example. If a bus can manage to come 15 minutes early on the S54, then even a normal driver can handle a 5 minute reduction in runtime.

1) Then let's run bus service every 5 minutes everywhere because some people might not know the schedule.

If you're out in Suffolk County, a lot of the routes run every 60 minutes. If somebody knows the schedule, I feel sorry for them, but there's nothing you can do.

#1 I said nothing about every 5 minutes. I said every 30 minutes, which is certainly reasonable.

#2 who gives a rat's @ss about Suffolk?? We are in NYC, not Suffolk, so I could care less what they do out there.

And don't give me BS about how somehow because we're within city limits that means that we should get better service even if ridership doesn't warrant it. Yeah, I doubt S57 ridership is Suffolk County-style low, but it's still lower than most SI routes.

That's exactly what I'm saying. You can't expect ridership to grow on a line with long waits and unreliable service and I think the (MTA) knows that when talking about service on local bus lines in NYC. Again, I don't want to hear about Suffolk or anywhere else. This is about NYC, which is what this thread is about. For the express bus it's fine, but not for local buses during certain times of the day.

2) What the hell are you talking about? I don't go to Manhattan often, and when I use the S53, it's often to go to the YMCA, which I doubt they would make a limited stop. So your whole "You're just arguing for better service to suit yourself" is BS.

Don't even try it... You offer a few examples of improvements you support and then on the same token you propose slashing service on the S57 to an hour (a line you don't use), slashing service on the S46 to the Teleport because you don't see the point (of course you wouldn't since the Teleport doesn't serve your needs). You've proposed all sorts of ridiculous measures that would slow down express bus service for those of us who need it because of your obsession with "lowering costs" because you feel that somehow that will stop fare hikes from happening (fat chance) and then you sit here and make up that load of crappola??? Please.

3) Even if it means service can be restored in the same neighborhood.

You can restore service in the same neighborhood without hurting riders on another line.

4) Those people look like regulars to me.

Yeah and so? Some regulars run for the bus and some don't. It's called choices that's all.

Well, at least they actually run for the bus. They don't just stroll over like you said.

Yeah most do run, but it's usually the prima donna women that expect the B/Os to hold the buses just for them. God forbid they actually have to run and some will get pissed if he takes off, flapping their arms all about. Meanwhile the whole bus is supposed to wait for them.

5) Except that it's not a matter of "The bus comes at (for instance) 9:00, so I'll wait until 8:59 to pull into the parking lot". It's a matter of "It's 9:05 and I'm pulling into the parking lot". They aren't waiting until the last minute because they (should) know that they weren't supposed to have caught that particular run.

Are you kidding me?? Plenty of people wait until the last minute, whether it's a park-and-ride stop or not. Hell you yourself have said how you get to the stop at the last minute. Completely pointless to keep arguing about this. NEXT!!

6) What are you talking about? You just adjust the schedules accordingly. If a bus ends up being scheduled to arrive 5 minutes earlier than it used to, then you adjust the times of the other buses accordingly.

Like I said if the schedules were so terrible as you keep b*tching about endlessly then they would've made adjustments by now. You claim it's pointless to complain about it yet you keep complaining anyway... B)

1) That's exactly what I'm saying. You can't expect ridership to grow on a line with long waits and unreliable service and I think the (MTA) knows that when talking about service on local bus lines in NYC. Again, I don't want to hear about Suffolk or anywhere else. This is about NYC, which is what this thread is about. For the express bus it's fine, but not for local buses during certain times of the day.

2) Don't even try it... You offer a few examples of improvements you support and then on the same token you propose slashing service on the S57 to an hour (a line you don't use), slashing service on the S46 to the Teleport because you don't see the point (of course you wouldn't since the Teleport doesn't serve your needs). You've proposed all sorts of ridiculous measures that would slow down express bus service for those of us who need it because of your obsession with "lowering costs" because you feel that somehow that will stop fare hikes from happening (fat chance) and then you sit here and make up that load of crappola??? Please.

3) You can restore service in the same neighborhood without hurting riders on another line.

4) Like I said if the schedules were so terrible as you keep b*tching about endlessly then they would've made adjustments by now. You claim it's pointless to complain about it yet you keep complaining anyway... B)

1) Long waits and unreliable service are two different things. If a bus comes every hour, but it comes on time, you can time yourself for it, and everything's alright. Yeah, it sucks that you lose some options (you have to leave at a certain time, and not 15 minutes later), but what can you do?

And like I said, political boundaries should have no effect on how much service a route receives. If the ridership and crowding of the route is similar, then the amount of service should be similar.

2) What the hell are you talking about????? I live near the S46, south of Forest Avenue, so again it's a cut that would affect me. Yeah, maybe I don't use it to go to the Teleport or West Shore Plaza, but I sure as hell use it to go to points north of me like Mariners' Harbor.

And what are you talking about with the express buses????? Yeah, back then I said some routes should be open door, and then I dropped that because very few people will pay $5.50 for intraborough travel. And it was a matter of providing better service to the intraborough riders, not anything to do with generating money (yeah, it would generate a little bit of money, but that wasn't the primary goal)

3) You can, but that doesn't mean you should.

4) I said it's pointless to complain when nothing could reasonably be done. Not that it's pointless to complain in every single circumstance. I remember times when I waited 25 minutes for the S46 when it was supposed to come less than every 10 minutes. I think that's reasonable to complain about and expect change. I've seen 4 buses go down Richmond Avenue at once, and then there's a 15 minute gap in service. Is it unreasonable to complain about that and expect change?

If a bus runs every 60 minutes, and I arrive 10 minutes after the bus leaves, do I have the right to complain about waiting 50 minutes for the next bus? Of course I do. I just shouldn't expect something to be done about it. If the ridership doesn't warrant service running more frequently than every 60 minutes, then there's nothing that can be done.

And to add onto my example, routes run every 60 minutes overnight in NYC. Acela Express talks about how the B46 has standees even during the overnight hours, and it has 60 minute headways. Just because somebody is traveling during daylight hours doesn't mean that they should automatically be granted a certain frequency of service.

Just for the record, I think the B46 should get at least 40 minute headways overnight.

2) What the hell are you talking about????? I live near the S46, south of Forest Avenue, so again it's a cut that would affect me. Yeah, maybe I don't use it to go to the Teleport or West Shore Plaza, but I sure as hell use it to go to points north of me like Mariners' Harbor.

That's funny because you sure as hell mentioned how you don't see the point of having S46s go to the Teleport because it makes them more unreliable and how they should be cut back from going there and such.

And what are you talking about with the express buses????? Yeah, back then I said some routes should be open door, and then I dropped that because very few people will pay $5.50 for intraborough travel. And it was a matter of providing better service to the intraborough riders, not anything to do with generating money (yeah, it would generate a little bit of money, but that wasn't the primary goal)

lol.... You should've never even considered it. :P

3) You can, but that doesn't mean you should.

You could not do it also, but you'd be foolish not to do so.

4) I said it's pointless to complain when nothing could reasonably be done. Not that it's pointless to complain in every single circumstance. I remember times when I waited 25 minutes for the S46 when it was supposed to come less than every 10 minutes. I think that's reasonable to complain about and expect change. I've seen 4 buses go down Richmond Avenue at once, and then there's a 15 minute gap in service. Is it unreasonable to complain about that and expect change?

Ay yay yay... Well that's why we have Bus Time... So that the bus come as scheduled... You'll just have to suck it up and not look for "speed" as qj says.

1) That's funny because you sure as hell mentioned how you don't see the point of having S46s go to the Teleport because it makes them more unreliable and how they should be cut back from going there and such.

2) lol.... You should've never even considered it. :P

3) You could not do it also, but you'd be foolish not to do so.

4) Ay yay yay... Well that's why we have Bus Time... So that the bus come as scheduled... You'll just have to suck it up and not look for "speed" as qj says.

1) Yes I said that, but that doesn't negate the fact that I live in the area and use the route fairly regularly.

And I never said anything about why the S46 should or shouldn't go to the Teleport. I said that there is excess service south of Forest Avenue (and I live south of Forest Avenue). Whether that service goes to the Teleport or the West Shore Plaza is a different story entirely. Yeah, there are times when I use the S46 to make a trip that's entirely north of Forest Avenue, so I'm combining my experiences as a user of both sides of the route. Would it benefit me if they just added service to both sides of the route? Of course, but that's not realistic, and doesn't mean it should be done.

An what difference does it make to you? The S57 barely passes through your (former) neighborhood. The S46 you're too scared to even use, so what do you care how much service each part of the route gets?

2) Then I never want to hear about you using express buses within SI. You said that the night of the hearing, you took the X10 from CSI to Manor Road. Well in that case, he should've refused to let you off and sent you all the way to Manhattan.

3) In case you haven't realized, the MTA has a policy of cost-neutrality. So it's an either-or situation. You can't have your cake and eat it too. And you still haven't come up with a good reason as to why the MTA shouldn't run hourly service in NYC. They do it overnights, and other places do it with similar characteristics to SI. Just because a neighborhood happens to be within city limits shouldn't guarantee it extra service.

4) Yeah, and the scheduling is crappy and could easily be made better. Yeah, I'll have to "suck up" any way the MTA runs the service, but there are some things I shouldn't have to suck up, and unnecessarily crappy scheduling is one of them.

1) Yes I said that, but that doesn't negate the fact that I live in the area and use the route fairly regularly.

But it certainly confirms that you're basically telling the folks that do need the service to screw off because you want fewer or no runs going there so that your buses won't come delayed. Talk about selfish.

And I never said anything about why the S46 should or shouldn't go to the Teleport. I said that there is excess service south of Forest Avenue (and I live south of Forest Avenue). Whether that service goes to the Teleport or the West Shore Plaza is a different story entirely. Yeah, there are times when I use the S46 to make a trip that's entirely north of Forest Avenue, so I'm combining my experiences as a user of both sides of the route. Would it benefit me if they just added service to both sides of the route? Of course, but that's not realistic, and doesn't mean it should be done.

Don't even try it. You basically called for service to the Teleport to be eliminated and now you're backtracking. :tdown:

An what difference does it make to you? The S57 barely passes through your (former) neighborhood. The S46 you're too scared to even use, so what do you care how much service each part of the route gets?

What difference does it make to me?? Simple, I disagree with your ongoing rhetoric about this endless excess service that you keep bringing up. Furthermore, I advocate for improved service in NYC regardless of whether or not I live there. If you were advocating for reduction of service for something worth while then I could understand it, but you advocate for reduction of service on the hopes that fares will decrease... Not a chance in hell that that is happening. You really don't get how things work. All you look at is numbers and stats. We get crap service for what we pay as it is, and then you go around calling for cuts talking about it is excess service. Even the (MTA) admits that Staten Island is underserved. Talk about out of touch. :tdown:

2) Then I never want to hear about you using express buses within SI. You said that the night of the hearing, you took the X10 from CSI to Manor Road. Well in that case, he should've refused to let you off and sent you all the way to Manhattan.

Listen you proposed an open door policy. Plenty of express bus riders do what I did. The express bus is there for us and we can do as we please. As long as I pay my fare there is jack squat that can be done. Case closed. NEXT!!!

3) In case you haven't realized, the MTA has a policy of cost-neutrality. So it's an either-or situation. You can't have your cake and eat it too. And you still haven't come up with a good reason as to why the MTA shouldn't run hourly service in NYC. They do it overnights, and other places do it with similar characteristics to SI. Just because a neighborhood happens to be within city limits shouldn't guarantee it extra service.

I most certainly have. Whether you choose to accept it as a good reason is your choice. I'm not repeating myself again. You seem hell bent on mentioning other cities. Like I said I don't give a rat's @ss what they do in "other cities". Furthermore, comparing service during the day time to overnights is just ridiculous. You just don't get it. You approach everything for numbers point of view and not everything is about numbers, though you insist that it is. Anyone with half a brain can see why it would make sense to run local buses in NYC with 30 minute frequencies during the day time at the worse. At night time is a different story.

4) Yeah, and the scheduling is crappy and could easily be made better. Yeah, I'll have to "suck up" any way the MTA runs the service, but there are some things I shouldn't have to suck up, and unnecessarily crappy scheduling is one of them.

Yeah well too bad. No point of arguing with me about me.

1) But it certainly confirms that you're basically telling the folks that do need the service to screw off because you want fewer or no runs going there so that your buses won't come delayed. Talk about selfish.

2) Don't even try it. You basically called for service to the Teleport to be eliminated and now you're backtracking. :tdown:

3) What difference does it make to me?? Simple, I disagree with your ongoing rhetoric about this endless excess service that you keep bringing up. Furthermore, I advocate for improved service in NYC regardless of whether or not I live there. If you were advocating for reduction of service for something worth while then I could understand it, but you advocate for reduction of service on the hopes that fares will decrease... Not a chance in hell that that is happening. You really don't get how things work. All you look at is numbers and stats. We get crap service for what we pay as it is, and then you go around calling for cuts talking about it is excess service. Even the (MTA) admits that Staten Island is underserved. Talk about out of touch. :tdown:

4) Listen you proposed an open door policy. Plenty of express bus riders do what I did. The express bus is there for us and we can do as we please. As long as I pay my fare there is jack squat that can be done. Case closed. NEXT!!!

5) I most certainly have. Whether you choose to accept it as a good reason is your choice. I'm not repeating myself again. You seem hell bent on mentioning other cities. Like I said I don't give a rat's @ss what they do in "other cities". Furthermore, comparing service during the day time to overnights is just ridiculous. You just don't get it. You approach everything for numbers point of view and not everything is about numbers, though you insist that it is. Anyone with half a brain can see why it would make sense to run local buses in NYC with 30 minute frequencies during the day time at the worse. At night time is a different story.

6) Yeah well too bad. No point of arguing with me about me.

1) What the hell are you talking about?????? I live south of Forest Avenue, and I think service south of Forest Avenue should be reduced. Part of the reason is low ridership, and part of the reason is so the buses aren't as delayed further down.

And the way I would reduce it would be by sending the S40 down there instead of the S46. It bunches less (if you lived near here, you would know that there are plenty of times when you'll see two S46 buses coming down South Avenue together, but of course, you're too scared that the "riff-raff" on the bus will hurt you), and its service frequencies are more suited to South Avenue than the S46.

B35 was the one who suggested the idea of short-turns, and I agreed that it could be another potential solution to the problem. But seeing as you live nowhere near that area and have probably never even set foot on the S46, you should keep your mouth shut.

Geez, adjusting service levels to ridership. What a novel concept. And you'd rather delay a full busload of people just so a handful of people (usually less than 10 once it gets south of the SIE) can have more frequent service that bunches up by the time it reaches that neighborhood.

2) I never said that. I just said service south of Forest Avenue should be reduced. I never said anything about whether buses should or shouldn't go to the Teleport.

3) I never said it had to go towards reducing the fare. If it were to be reinvested into filling in gaps in the network (whether they are a result of service reductions or they've been there all along), I'd be happy with that. You keep on saying "Oh he just loves to cut cut cut", but I've advocated for a ton of service improvements, and if you refuse to acknowledge that, that's your problem.

4) And that's exactly what an open-door policy is. I never said the fare should be reduced for intraborough riders or anything like that. If you want to pay $5.50 to travel within your own borough, that's your business. I just wanted to make it official. At the time, I didn't realize that it was already an unofficial policy, so your argument about me doing it to increase revenue and stuff is just BS.

5) There's no point in arguing this any further. You're not going to convince me, and I'm not going to convince you. If there's any outsiders looking at this debate, let them take the arguments presented by both me and you and make their own decision. We know the MTA isn't going to suddenly change its policy because of an online debate anyway.

6) Let's purposely have crappy service in Riverdale then. The BxM1 and BxM2 run pretty frequently don't they? Well, let's have a 20 minute gap and then 4 buses will come at once and we'll see how you like it. It would barely cost anything to have them spaced out properly, but for the hell of it, let's bunch them up to screw up people's travels. :tdown:

So has anyone heard the new announcement? It mentions that Staten Island buses may get held by central dispatch for "better service". This is the longer travel time issue that checkmate and myself were talking about. Crowded local buses, express buses and even limited buses are having to pull over and hold at stops when they should be moving a consistent pace because that what buses are supposed to do, especially with the Staten Island ferry being the terminal for most lines.

The true problem lies with the runtimes that are too long/short & schedules that are not accurate nor realistic for drivers or passengers. The coming months will be interesting for SI bus service overall (local, limited & express).

So has anyone heard the new announcement? It mentions that Staten Island buses may get held by central dispatch for "better service". This is the longer travel time issue that checkmate and myself were talking about. Crowded local buses, express buses and even limited buses are having to pull over and hold at stops when they should be moving a consistent pace because that what buses are supposed to do, especially with the Staten Island ferry being the terminal for most lines.

The true problem lies with the runtimes that are too long/short & schedules that are not accurate nor realistic for drivers or passengers. The coming months will be interesting for SI bus service overall (local, limited & express).

Yeah, I heard it about 2 weeks ago but I figured I wouldn't mention it because it was pretty obvious that they were going to do so.

In any case, I pretty much agree with you: While they work out the kinks in the system, we're just going to have to deal with buses having to pull over and wait at stops (fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet), but in the long run, they should take this opportunity to adjust the schedule to reflect the actual conditions.

By the way, VG8, you still haven't answered my post above SIR North Shore's. Is it because you don't have an answer? ;)

4) And that's exactly what an open-door policy is. I never said the fare should be reduced for intraborough riders or anything like that. If you want to pay $5.50 to travel within your own borough, that's your business. I just wanted to make it official. At the time, I didn't realize that it was already an unofficial policy, so your argument about me doing it to increase revenue and stuff is just BS.

Yeah it's "unofficial" for a reason. We don't want all of these folks getting on w/the riff raff and holding us up. Basically the folks who do it are express bus riders. I see it a lot on the X10 and even a few times on the X12, but like I said, it's for us, not the local bus riders. It also happens sometimes in Manhattan... I myself have taken X7 and X10s and have gotten off if I couldn't get a local bus down 5th Avenue.

6) Let's purposely have crappy service in Riverdale then. The BxM1 and BxM2 run pretty frequently don't they? Well, let's have a 20 minute gap and then 4 buses will come at once and we'll see how you like it. It would barely cost anything to have them spaced out properly, but for the hell of it, let's bunch them up to screw up people's travels. :tdown:

Good try but that's not happening. FYI, the drivers on the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 hold to the schedule and they DO wait at the stops to ensure that they leave right on time even if that means waiting for a few minutes and guess what? We all survive!! Nobody complains because we still get to our destination ontime or early. The (MTA) did an excellent job with the spacing of those buses too because the BxM1 and BxM2 feed off of each other so that if you miss one you won't be waiting forever for another express bus and then you have the BxM18 sandwiched in between the BxM2s, hence why the BxM2 runs only every 30 minutes during most of the rush hour because the BxM18 covers portions of the BxM2s route. Love my BxM2s and BxM18s... :cool: Overall they're faster than the BxM1 which has to make stupid stops in Inwood when they already have the (A) train. I'll avoid using the BxM1 unless they're super expresses bypassing Inwood or if I have to go to East Midtown. Besides the BxM1 has healthy ridership from all of the Upper East Side transplants. I want to ensure that the BxM2 remains healthy so I use that more. Besides, that route suits my travel needs more anyway. I used the BxM2 to and from Riverdale yesterday and it was super fast and VERY quiet too. :cool:

I've heard the announcements on the express bus...Usually the X10 since the newer buses offer automated announcements... I really think this is being blown out of proportion. If the bus is supposed to be at "X" stop at "X" time and it is WHAT is the complaint?? Jesus Christ... You've been complaining about buses showing up whenever and how unreliable they are and now you complain becuase they hold to the schedule and come on time. Makes no sense. The same thing happens in Riverdale and we love our service up there. It is very refreshing to know that I can look down Henry Hudson Pkwy W and see my BxM2 coming down the street right on time. :cool:

Yeah, I heard it about 2 weeks ago but I figured I wouldn't mention it because it was pretty obvious that they were going to do so.

In any case, I pretty much agree with you: While they work out the kinks in the system, we're just going to have to deal with buses having to pull over and wait at stops (fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet), but in the long run, they should take this opportunity to adjust the schedule to reflect the actual conditions.

By the way, VG8, you still haven't answered my post above SIR North Shore's. Is it because you don't have an answer? ;)

LOL... Don't get all gitty... ;) I just saw it now... Your idea would NEVER happen in Riverdale because if it did we would go nuts. We like our express buses just as they are... Spaced nicely and right on time. Like I said, the B/Os have no problem waiting at a stop for several minutes to ensure that they stay on time and pick up everybody and it's done that way to ensure proper spacing and avoid overcrowding. :cool: Very refreshing compared to the service that I've had on Staten Island for years where you "hope" that a bus comes, even if that means that it's 10 minutes early or 20 minutes late. :(

Geez, adjusting service levels to ridership. What a novel concept.

lol.....

I never said that. I just said service south of Forest Avenue should be reduced.

B35 was the one who suggested the idea of short-turns, and I agreed that it could be another potential solution to the problem. But seeing as you live nowhere near that area and have probably never even set foot on the S46, you should keep your mouth shut.

I remember these having been stated in an older thread.... b/c I remember asking you about how many ppl. even head out to the teleport

(I already had a general idea of the ridership out of W. shore plz).....

the 2nd quote.... While I don't remember the exact nature of what was being discussed at that moment, As far as the basic mentioning/suggesting of more short turns on the 46, yeh that was me....

1) Yeah it's "unofficial" for a reason. We don't want all of these folks getting on w/the riff raff and holding us up. Basically the folks who do it are express bus riders. I see it a lot on the X10 and even a few times on the X12, but like I said, it's for us, not the local bus riders. It also happens sometimes in Manhattan... I myself have taken X7 and X10s and have gotten off if I couldn't get a local bus down 5th Avenue.

2) Good try but that's not happening. FYI, the drivers on the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 hold to the schedule and they DO wait at the stops to ensure that they leave right on time even if that means waiting for a few minutes and guess what? We all survive!! Nobody complains because we still get to our destination ontime or early. The (MTA) did an excellent job with the spacing of those buses too because the BxM1 and BxM2 feed off of each other so that if you miss one you won't be waiting forever for another express bus and then you have the BxM18 sandwiched in between the BxM2s, hence why the BxM2 runs only every 30 minutes during most of the rush hour because the BxM18 covers portions of the BxM2s route. Love my BxM2s and BxM18s... :cool: Overall they're faster than the BxM1 which has to make stupid stops in Inwood when they already have the (A) train. I'll avoid using the BxM1 unless they're super expresses bypassing Inwood or if I have to go to East Midtown. Besides the BxM1 has healthy ridership from all of the Upper East Side transplants. I want to ensure that the BxM2 remains healthy so I use that more. Besides, that route suits my travel needs more anyway. I used the BxM2 to and from Riverdale yesterday and it was super fast and VERY quiet too. :cool:

3) I've heard the announcements on the express bus...Usually the X10 since the newer buses offer automated announcements... I really think this is being blown out of proportion. If the bus is supposed to be at "X" stop at "X" time and it is WHAT is the complaint?? Jesus Christ... You've been complaining about buses showing up whenever and how unreliable they are and now you complain becuase they hold to the schedule and come on time. Makes no sense. The same thing happens in Riverdale and we love our service up there. It is very refreshing to know that I can look down Henry Hudson Pkwy W and see my BxM2 coming down the street right on time. :cool:

4) LOL... Don't get all gitty... :P I just saw it now... Your idea would NEVER happen in Riverdale because if it did we would go nuts. We like our express buses just as they are... Spaced nicely and right on time. Like I said, the B/Os have no problem waiting at a stop for several minutes to ensure that they stay on time and pick up everybody and it's done that way to ensure proper spacing and avoid overcrowding. :cool: Very refreshing compared to the service that I've had on Staten Island for years where you "hope" that a bus comes, even if that means that it's 10 minutes early or 20 minutes late. :(

1) Well, like I said, at the time, I didn't realize it was an unofficial policy. In any case, I doubt anybody who's going to pay $5.50 for an intraborough trip is really going to bother anybody.

2) Boy, you pick and choose which parts of my post you want to respond to, don't you? I said that I have no problem if the bus gets ahead of schedule once in a while and has to pull over. I mean, there are days when traffic or ridership might be slightly lower than normal, and so you get a little bit ahead of schedule. I have no problem with holding in instances like that. But if it's a daily thing where the bus has to kill time at stops, then yeah, I have a problem with it and the schedule should be adjusted accordingly.

As far as the BxM1, isn't it everybody's God-given right to have express bus service running through their neighborhood? ;) In any case, their logic is simple: The (A) doesn't serve East Midtown. It's the same thing with the (2) and BxM11: The (2) doesn't serve East Midtown (you have to transfer to the (5))

And in any case, I was referring to the fact that the buses often come bunched together down Richmond Avenue, which was something you were also arguing about how it's "too bad".

3) I can't speak for SIR North Shore, but like I said, if it's a once-in-a-while deal where the buses are holding, then fine, but if it's a regular thing, they're going to have to adjust the schedules.

4) I hope you realize that wasn't a serious idea. Evenly-spaced service is how it should be in my neck-o-the woods, but it isn't, but you think I should have to suck it up.

And in any case, you still haven't responded to my S46 comment. How exactly am I selfish again?

I remember these having been stated in an older thread.... b/c I remember asking you about how many ppl. even head out to the teleport

the 2nd quote.... While I don't remember the exact nature of what was being discussed at that moment, As far as the basic mentioning/suggesting of more short turns on the 46, yeh that was me....

Yeah, that was in the thread when the S46 was first sent to the Teleport.

In any case, the discussion went something like this:

* LRG and myself brought up swapping the S40 and S46.

* We (meaning LRG & myself vs. you & VG8) got into a disagreement over why the S46 should stay as is. I brought up the fact that the S40 brings people to St. George faster and you brought up the fact that most of those people aren't going to St. George (Which you're right. As a regular S46 rider, I'd say most of the South Avenue riders come from points west of Port Richmond, but I thought the pros still outweighed the cons)

* So then I brought up how the S40's levels of service are more suited to South Avenue than the S46's, and you said that it wasn't a good enough reason to change the structure of the routes.

* And then finally I talked about how there are times when I'm using the S46 entirely north of Forest Avenue and the longer route contributes to its delays. And then you said that if that was the main problem I was having, then short-turns would help. (instead of 12 minute service throughout the whole route, there could be 10 minute service north of Forest Avenue, and 20 minute service south of it)

lol.....

Yeah S46s go to the Teleport because there's a nursing school there. He's just throwing a hissy fit because he thinks the area gets too much service. :P

Yeah S46s go to the Teleport because there's a nursing school there. He's just throwing a hissy fit because he thinks the area gets too much service. ;)

I never complained about having buses serve the Teleport vs. West Shore Plaza.

And in any case, do you use the buses in this area? If you did, you'd know that there are plenty of times when you'll see two buses going down South Avenue, so the extra service doesn't do as much good as it's supposed to. (Of course there are plenty of times when the service is evenly spaced, but still)

So anyway, how am I selfish? (I'm not going to give up. The same way I never gave up on that kid for the $0.50. :P )

I never complained about having buses serve the Teleport vs. West Shore Plaza.

And in any case, do you use the buses in this area? If you did, you'd know that there are plenty of times when you'll see two buses going down South Avenue, so the extra service doesn't do as much good as it's supposed to. (Of course there are plenty of times when the service is evenly spaced, but still)

That is such a lie. You posted months ago about why the S46 served the Teleport and now suddenly you never complained?? LOL

I don't need to use it. I see what goes on with it when I'm on the X30 (which I've been using now for 5 years) and yes they do come in bunches and so?? That is no reason to go on the out and out and suggest that the S46 shouldn't serve those areas.

That is such a lie. You posted months ago about why the S46 served the Teleport and now suddenly you never complained?? LOL

I don't need to use it. I see what goes on with it when I'm on the X30 (which I've been using now for 5 years) and yes they do come in bunches and so?? That is no reason to go on the out and out and suggest that the S46 shouldn't serve those areas.

Show me exactly where I complained about the fact that the S46 served the Teleport. Here's the thread to make it easier for you: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/s46-96-service-teleport-business-park-31651.html

In fact, I specifically said I was alright with some buses going to the Teleport:

"If you're referring to the Teleport being overserved, it's only going to be served weekdays from 07:00 to 19:00, which is fair, and not all of the buses are going in there. Check the schedule."

I probably mentioned it a few more times, but I only scrolled through the first page.

The only time I complained about S46s going into the Teleport was in regards to one run. In the morning, the 07:33 run out of the West Shore Plaza serves both the West Shore Plaza and Teleport, and there ends up being a 15 minute gap, and then the bus comes, and then the next S46 comes 4 minutes later. Before, there was a 10 minute gap and then the next S46 would come 9 minutes later, which is more even. That problem could simply be solved by moving it back 5 minutes, or by having it start at the Teleport rather than the West Shore Plaza.

That same problem is on the 07:03 and 07:13 runs out of the West Shore Plaza, but those don't affect me. But again, those routes should be moved back by 5 minutes so the buses come more evenly.

You may think it's alright for buses to bunch up when it's avoidable, but I don't. Most of us AM riders have managed (myself included), but it still doesn't make it any better.

Like I said, if you're going to accuse me, you're going to have to prove it. It took me about a minute to find this thread with the "Search" function.

And I never said the S46 shouldn't serve those areas. I just said there should be more short-turns, or the S40 should cover it, which is more reliable.

Show me exactly where I complained about the fact that the S46 served the Teleport. Here's the thread to make it easier for you: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/s46-96-service-teleport-business-park-31651.html

In fact, I specifically said I was alright with some buses going to the Teleport:

"If you're referring to the Teleport being overserved, it's only going to be served weekdays from 07:00 to 19:00, which is fair, and not all of the buses are going in there. Check the schedule."

I probably mentioned it a few more times, but I only scrolled through the first page.

The only time I complained about S46s going into the Teleport was in regards to one run. In the morning, the 07:33 run out of the West Shore Plaza serves both the West Shore Plaza and Teleport, and there ends up being a 15 minute gap, and then the bus comes, and then the next S46 comes 4 minutes later. Before, there was a 10 minute gap and then the next S46 would come 9 minutes later, which is more even. That problem could simply be solved by moving it back 5 minutes, or by having it start at the Teleport rather than the West Shore Plaza.

Like I said, if you're going to accuse me, you're going to have to prove it. It took me about a minute to find this thread with the "Search" function.

And sure. Every single X30 you take happens to pull up right next to an S46. Yeah OK. In order to understand the ridership, you need to take the S46 itself. Not the X30. Not the S48. Not some other route. The S46 (specifically in the area in question). Not to mention that it'll only give you an idea of the morning rush hour and not ridership throughout the entire day. I've used the S46 at various times of the day, from the AM rush to the late evening so I think I'm better qualified to speak on the ridership patterns.

Excuse me, but I've been living on Staten Island wayyyy longer than you have... I've been off and on the island since 1999 to be exact, so yeah, I'm more than qualified to speak about any bus route on Staten Island.

As for this whole Teleport crappola, you're the one with amnesia not me, so I don't need to look through anything. You do.

Excuse me, but I've been living on Staten Island wayyyy longer than you have... I've been off and on the island since 1999 to be exact, so yeah, I'm more than qualified to speak about any bus route on Staten Island.

As for this whole Teleport crappola, you're the one with amnesia not me, so I don't need to look through anything. You do.

I looked through the thread and found nothing except the comment about a couple of specific runs. Your turn.

And you've never even set foot on the S46. You really think your qualified to speak on it? That's like saying I'm qualified to speak on the B14 just because I lived in Brooklyn for 6 years.

That same problem is on the 07:03 and 07:13 runs out of the West Shore Plaza, but those don't affect me. But again, those routes should be moved back by 5 minutes so the buses come more evenly.

You may think it's alright for buses to bunch up when it's avoidable, but I don't. Most of us AM riders have managed (myself included), but it still doesn't make it any better.

And I never said the S46 shouldn't serve those areas. I just said there should be more short-turns, or the S40 should cover it, which is more reliable.

Here is the proof right here...

To speed the service up. The problem is that there isn't that much demand for service south of Forest Avenue. If it were just the S96s going every 30 minutes, that would probably be too little, but if they cut back alternate buses to Forest Avenue, you'd have uneven headways along South Avenue.

If that's not advocating for a service cut then I don't know what is.... BUSTED!! :P You also say that there isn't much demand for service south of Forest Avenue, which is a clear indication that you think that the service should be reduced...

I looked through the thread and found nothing except the comment about a couple of specific runs. Your turn.

And you've never even set foot on the S46. You really think your qualified to speak on it? That's like saying I'm qualified to speak on the B14 just because I lived in Brooklyn for 6 years.

WRONG!! I have so used the S46... I've used it when I was taking the ferry back in the day and Forest Ave. was shut down for one reason or another. I also was forced to walk along parts of the S46 route during the transit strike back in '05, so you don't know what I've done and where I've been. ;) Before 2006 I was using the ferry to and from work and such when I was on Staten Island during college break and such so I used various bus lines to get around on the island. I've also used the S44 amongst other buses.

Here is the proof right here...

If that's not advocating for a service cut then I don't know what is.... BUSTED!! :P You also say that there isn't much demand for service south of Forest Avenue, which is a clear indication that you think that the service should be reduced...

Yes, I said service should be reduced. That's the damn point. But you're acting like I want the service reduced to nothing, or to a really low level. In the post you quoted, I even said that 30 minute headways would be too little service for South Avenue (meaning service would have to run more than every 30 minutes).

Like I said in the thread, the ideal level of service down South Avenue would probably be about 20 minute headways. (Which is why I suggested the S40 because the headways are exactly 20 minutes and why B35 suggested short-turns) 15 minutes would be a little excess, but if it had something to do with meeting the ferry (since 15 is a factor of 30), I'd take that, but 12 minutes is definitely excess.

Yeah, that's advocating for a service cut in my neighborhood. So again, tell me how exactly that's selfish.

Archived