Nova Bus investing in CNG

Novasupporter

Interesting, I never would have thought that Nova would one day offer CNG, as it is a bit of a niche market. But if Nova expects growth in the US CNG fleet, who am I to contradict? I guess that an important order (MTA?) would be required to make the production line investment even remotely profitable.

Interesting, I never would have thought that Nova would one day offer CNG, as it is a bit of a niche market. But if Nova expects growth in the US CNG fleet, who am I to contradict? I guess that an important order (MTA?) would be required to make the production line investment even remotely profitable.

My guess is they must be talking with MTA about a possible order to even be considering this type of investment. However as mentioned in one of the APTA posts they are also deep into a fully electric bus development with no firm interest to support the investment. IIRC they have two fully electric prototypes now.

True, there might not be a firm interest in Nova's electric bus right now but most major Quebec TAs have vouched to buy exclusively hybrid starting in 2013 and exclusively electric buses starting in 10 years time or so (not sure of the exact timeframe). So that's a strong incentive for Nova to start developing and troubleshooting their electric options right now -- before tryout orders go to Designline or even New Flyer. There's already a Designline electric bus about to be delivered in the Montreal area, because Nova couldn't be ready fast enough.

Anyway, I really look forward to the first tests of the electric prototypes you're talking about!

• 2 weeks later...

The price of CNG in the US, however, has plummeted. CNG is much cheaper than diesel these days.

• 1 month later...

Archived