Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Novasupporter

Nova Bus investing in CNG

Interesting, I never would have thought that Nova would one day offer CNG, as it is a bit of a niche market. But if Nova expects growth in the US CNG fleet, who am I to contradict? I guess that an important order (MTA?) would be required to make the production line investment even remotely profitable.

Interesting, I never would have thought that Nova would one day offer CNG, as it is a bit of a niche market. But if Nova expects growth in the US CNG fleet, who am I to contradict? I guess that an important order (MTA?) would be required to make the production line investment even remotely profitable.

My guess is they must be talking with MTA about a possible order to even be considering this type of investment. However as mentioned in one of the APTA posts they are also deep into a fully electric bus development with no firm interest to support the investment. IIRC they have two fully electric prototypes now.

True, there might not be a firm interest in Nova's electric bus right now but most major Quebec TAs have vouched to buy exclusively hybrid starting in 2013 and exclusively electric buses starting in 10 years time or so (not sure of the exact timeframe). So that's a strong incentive for Nova to start developing and troubleshooting their electric options right now -- before tryout orders go to Designline or even New Flyer. There's already a Designline electric bus about to be delivered in the Montreal area, because Nova couldn't be ready fast enough.

Anyway, I really look forward to the first tests of the electric prototypes you're talking about!

Oh man, I'd love to see a Nova LFS CNG on the B16 or the B43! I hope this goes through. Good luck to Nova!!!

The price of CNG in the US, however, has plummeted. CNG is much cheaper than diesel these days.

Interesting move by Nova. I Would love to see a Novabus LFS CNG out of West Farms on the Bx36, Bx32, and Bx15. What a sight that would be! :cool: One question though, would CNG be an option for the LFS arctic too or just for the 40ft LFS?

I suppose it's all up to the customer, if the MTA wants an artic CNG bus then Nova will design it for them.

Nova's interest in CNG is probably due to the fact that the Obama administration is heavily pushing natural gas as a preferred fuel for bus and commercial vehicle fleets.