How far off before you get worried?

JubaionBx12+SBS

I get those lines are very crowded, but 5 min and you get worried? 8-10 min sounds more reasonable.

If I have to wait for more than 5 minutes for the (4)(5)(6) in the morning I get really worried. Although I'd be able to tell if something was up if there were so many people already there that I could barely even get in the station.

I agree w/Gorgor. Depending on the time of rush hour, yes 5 minutes is enough because the (4) and (5) usually alternate about every two minutes. If there's a 5 minute gap then you know that the trains will be packed like sardine cans and you won't be able to get on for a while, which very well could be 15 - 20 minutes before everything comes back to "normal" on the line, so that could very well be a 25 minute wait before you can actually board a train. The (4) & (5) are like the X1. Doesn't take much to f*ck up the line. The least little delay and you've got hoards of folks all over the place.

With that line as soon as a train is pulling out the next train load of folks are already filling up the platform. It's quite amazing to watch that line. Same thing with the X1. It's like the people just don't stop coming! :eek:

Thanks Two-Timer. It is satisfying to finally know why the (2) acts up so much on the weekends. The trains always leave Flatbush on time though.

During the week, (3)s are often scheduled to be no more than 2-3 minutes in front of (2)s on northbound trips. I guess this is done in order to relieve crowding on the (2) since it basically goes on a whole new adventure after 135 Street while the (3) makes just two stops.

I know (2)s sometimes go express on Nostrand during the weekday rush hour in order to make up for lost time, but I never knew they went express on EP. Also I have never heard of (2)(3)s skipping any stops in Brooklyn at any time outside the weekday rush and GOs.

I know if they run EXP on Nostrand they have to stop at Newkirk to punch the (2) or (5) button on the route selector, but why do they stop at President if the ridership at that station is so low, the (3) station is two little blocks away, it takes longer to get to/from street level there than at most other stations, and there is no route selector for southbound trains there? It would make much more sense to stop at Sterling instead.

I agree w/Gorgor. Depending on the time of rush hour, yes 5 minutes is enough because the (4) and (5) usually alternate about every two minutes. If there's a 5 minute gap then you know that the trains will be packed like sardine cans and you won't be able to get on for a while, which very well could be 15 - 20 minutes before everything comes back to "normal" on the line, so that could very well be a 25 minute wait before you can actually board a train. The (4) & (5) are like the X1. Doesn't take much to f*ck up the line. The least little delay and you've got hoards of folks all over the place.

With that line as soon as a train is pulling out the next train load of folks are already filling up the platform. It's quite amazing to watch that line. Same thing with the X1. It's like the people just don't stop coming! :eek:

The reason is the lack of choices on the East Side. It's either the (4)/(5)/(6) or SBS, which is already over-capacity. With all other "options", you'd be better off walking.

Adding onto this, it can often take a bit of time to board because people are constantly running and getting caught by the doors, so when one train leaves there's literally another train right behind it. If I get to the platform and a train isn't already there, I'll get a little worried if I look down the tracks and don't see headlights.

And even with a train every 2 minutes or so, every single train is absolutely packed.

During the week, (3)s are often scheduled to be no more than 2-3 minutes in front of (2)s on northbound trips. I guess this is done in order to relieve crowding on the (2) since it basically goes on a whole new adventure after 135 Street while the (3) makes just two stops.

Almost every day I see the (2) and (3) literally within 1 minute of each other. Having the (3) relieve the (2) makes a lot of sense. Many people take the express trains just to get out at 72nd St., 96th St., or to transfer to the (1) at 96th.

Archived