242nd street - Van Cortlandt Park station

Via Garibaldi 8

- Then tell us how much better you think the sea beach stations are, in comparison to how exaggerated 'us people' are making it out to be..... smh....

- pfft, platform level, Beverly & Cortelyou isn't that much better than the sea beach... the only difference is the mosaic/tiling they put up along the walls in the middle of the station.... lipstick on a pig basically....

- the F stations, I don't see any noticable problems with them... then again, I don't frequent the culver as much..... so no refutation from me on that one.....

Totally agreed. I dunno when the last time he used any of the Sea Beach stations, but they need a bunch of work to look decent. Those stations need much more than a 'paint job'.

Exactly. only the middle of those 2 platforms looks ok, but the station at the ends needs to be widened as they are just too narrow.

Honestly, I don't think the Culver stations are that horrid, but I do agree that they should be fixed up now that Brighton's elevated stations are done.

Slightly unsatisfactory?? Well suppose a little kid ate some of the peeled paint chips accidentally or something and then what? Who knows if any of the paint has led in it since they wait so long to rehab stations? That should not be allowed to get into that state. When someone hits them up with a lawsuit for leaving stations is such poor shape, then we'll see if they have more important things to tackle. Then everyone will complain that folks are out to get the (MTA), but some of these things can be avoided.

That station at 181st street on the (1) line has sections of the friggin' roof almost caving in and from what I hear it still hasn't been repaired so at any time debris could come falling down on someone. Not exactly an exaggeration by any means. Scraping and repainting those walls would be a drop in the bucket money wise and time wise compared to the potential lawsuit they could face.

242nd street... If that station doesn't need work I don't know what station does. As for Chambers Street, when are they going to re-do that station? It's been in that state for years.

Okay 1st off, I never said 242nd street didn't need work.

2nd, 181st street has been repaired and a safety net has been installed just in case.

3rd, if a kid eats the paint off the walls, how the hell is that the MTA's fault? It's the parents fault for letting the kid out of their sight to do that. Hell, it's the parents fault for not disciplining them enough to not do that.

Finally, why do you care? Don't you take the express bus?

Oh, and to Grand Concourse, I use the Sea Beach stations regularly so I DO know what I'm talking about. I use all of the south brooklyn lines regularly.

2nd, 181st street has been repaired and a safety net has been installed just in case.

3rd, if a kid eats the paint off the walls, how the hell is that the MTA's fault? It's the parents fault for letting the kid out of their sight to do that. Hell, it's the parents fault for not disciplining them enough to not do that.

Oh, and to Grand Concourse, I use the Sea Beach stations regularly so I DO know what I'm talking about. I use all of the south brooklyn lines regularly.

Nuff said.

Ok, fine, but those stations should be fixed up and then a power wash and a new coat of paint or tiles. As a whole, they should've been given more priority over the Rockaway stations.

Well if that's the case then explain why you're downplaying of the current poor state of the stations that we've been discussing?

That's funny. If the station was fully repaired then a safety net wouldn't have been installed because they would've repaired it so that no safety net was needed. Also interesting that the station is repaired, but yet the (MTA) will be doing work there for years to come...

Simple. The parents would argue that it wouldn't have happened if the (MTA) kept their stations up.

Finally you can chill out with the snappy comments because they don't move me in the slightest. Yes, my primary mode of transportation is the express bus, but I've been using the subway far longer than the express bus (over 15 years now, while I've using the express bus for about half of that (almost 7 years)), so seeing that I use the system naturally I would care, especially since either way my tax dollars go towards the (MTA).

Guest lance25

Not to take this thing too far off track, but if a kid is eating the chipping paint off the subway platforms, well, let's just say lead will be the least of his/her problems.

Not to take this thing too far off track, but if a kid is eating the chipping paint off the subway platforms, well, let's just say lead will be the least of his/her problems.

True, but kids at a certain age like to put things in their mouth and at those stations the chipped paint is basically falling onto the floor so all the kid would have to do is pick up some of the chipped paint from the floor and violà.

Ok, fine, but those stations should be fixed up and then a power wash and a new coat of paint or tiles. As a whole, they should've been given more priority over the Rockaway stations.

Trust me, when waiting on the platforms, you barely notice. You are more preoccupied with wondering when the train is coming and at this time of the year, watching the different flowers in the area bloom. Really, only people with OCD will care about the paint. It's not like the ceiling is falling. And i've actually looked into a chipped section and was able to count about 7 repaints with more layers under it.

Well if that's the case then explain why you're downplaying of the current poor state of the stations that we've been discussing?

Because I can? I see most of them everyday. 181 I see about every 2-6 days. And I've seen worse. I mean, once you go see Baltimore, you can't really complain about anything anymore.

That's funny. If the station was fully repaired then a safety net wouldn't have been installed because they would've repaired it so that no safety net was needed. Also interesting that the station is repaired, but yet the (MTA) will be doing work there for years to come...

I never said FULLY repaired. Just repaired. And what company wouldn't place a safety net there after a partial ceiling collapse? That's a smart move and the (MTA) thinking of the a "what if".

Simple. The parents would argue that it wouldn't have happened if the (MTA) kept their stations up.

Trust me, the jury would have enough common sense to know that if your kid is eating paint chips off a subway station wall, YOU aren't disciplining your child enough. Only those kids do things like that. Of course, the almighty belt can fix that.

Finally you can chill out with the snappy comments because they don't move me in the slightest. Yes, my primary mode of transportation is the express bus, but I've been using the subway far longer than the express bus (over 15 years now, while I've using the express bus for about half of that (almost 7 years)), so seeing that I use the system naturally I would care, especially since either way my tax dollars go towards the (MTA).

They weren't intended to move you, I personally don't care. But unless you use the subway as a primary mode of transport NOW, not almost 7 years ago, then you would see these things as a daily rider. A lot of things have happened in 7 years. Lastly, most of your tax dollars goes to social security and things of the like, not to public transport.

True, but kids at a certain age like to put things in their mouth and at those stations the chipped paint is basically falling onto the floor so all the kid would have to do is pick up some of the chipped paint from the floor and violà.

And a good parent would see that, pop their hand and they will drop it. But when's the last time we've heard something like that?

They weren't intended to move you, I personally don't care. But unless you use the subway as a primary mode of transport NOW, not almost 7 years ago, then you would see these things as a daily rider. A lot of things have happened in 7 years. Lastly, most of your tax dollars goes to social security and things of the like, not to public transport.

I don't need to use the subway as my primary mode of transportation to make an assessment on it. I've been using the subway for over 15 years now, and you don't know where I go. Just because I use the express bus to get to an from work means nothing, because I do a great deal of traveling DAILY in between my commute to and from work on the local buses AND subways. Thank you.

As for your other comment about where my tax dollars go, it is MY money period and that's the point. Doesn't matter how much of it goes where.

I don't need to use the subway as my primary mode of transportation to make an assessment on it. I've been using the subway for over 15 years now, and you don't know where I go. Just because I use the express bus to get to an from work means nothing, because I do a great deal of traveling DAILY in between my commute to and from work on the local buses AND subways. Thank you.

As for your other comment about where my tax dollars go, it is MY money period and that's the point. Doesn't matter how much of it goes where.

You use local buses? :eek::eek:

It's so nice to see everybody getting along so well. >.>

Anyway the last time I was at 242ND STREET VAN CORTLANDT PK STATION (you know...the topic at hand...), the little walk along bridge had me nervous. Floor boards did not feel very stable and the stairs certainly aren't picture perfect of the topic of safety either. But last I checked the MTA was doing station renovations up there weren't they? Do we have any reports on the progress with that? If understood right they were working on Dyckman Street.

• 2 weeks later...

Its suppose to be getting rehabbed soon (About later this year, early next). Its been planned for over a year to rehab 242nd Street to Dyckman St. 238th Street and the Manhattan side of Dyckman is currently in progress. 215th St and 207th St is another target as well.

Yeah it looks like you could fall off, but not really.

Anyone knows if 242nd will get elevators?

i dont know. but i read the Dashboard and they plan to put partial ADA access at Dyckman Street(1).

Archived