242nd street - Van Cortlandt Park station

Via Garibaldi 8

I was over there yesterday to get a Metrocard for a friend who was using the express bus with me since I wasn't sure where else we could get one at without paying in cash. I hadn't been to that station in a long time, but it seems it have really gone down hill. My friend stayed in the car while I went upstairs to get a Metrocard, and upon coming down I thought I was going to fall through the stairs. My question is when are they going to rehab that station? It is in desperate need of repair from the top down and I could see someone getting seriously injured. I would think if they're going to use wood that they would replace it more frequently or use something more durable since it doesn't last very long. Also only one of the machines that I tried worked so if that one ran out of Metrocards and you wanted to use a debit or credit card, you would be out of luck.

Its suppose to be getting rehabbed soon (About later this year, early next). Its been planned for over a year to rehab 242nd Street to Dyckman St. 238th Street and the Manhattan side of Dyckman is currently in progress. 215th St and 207th St is another target as well.

Yeah it looks like you could fall off, but not really.

Anyone knows if 242nd will get elevators?

Its suppose to be getting rehabbed soon (About later this year, early next). Its been planned for over a year to rehab 242nd Street to Dyckman St. 238th Street and the Manhattan side of Dyckman is currently in progress. 215th St and 207th St is another target as well.

Yeah it looks like you could fall off, but not really.

Anyone knows if 242nd will get elevators?

Fall off no, but fall through yes... I see why the man coming down was holding on to the rail with caution. lol As for the elevators, I would agree that that station should get elevators too. Seems like a lot of elderly folks use that station. From what I've seen overall though, I get the impression thate the Bronx and Upper Manhattan are neglected when it comes to subway station rehabs. I wonder if they ever fixed that station in Washington Heights on the (1) line.

The (2) and (6) lines in the Bronx had their stations totally renovated and they look pretty good.*

-

I was at that station, 242nd few weeks ago and I agree that that station needs to be fixed up. The wood [thankfully looks intact], but they would be better just pouring concrete. As for elevators, I wonder where they would be built? Would it be on both ends [one by the side next to the park and the other by the stores]?

*Before another person 'corrects me': I am referring to the elevated stations, not the underground ones especially of the (6) line.

Fall off no, but fall through yes... I see why the man coming down was holding on to the rail with caution. lol As for the elevators, I would agree that that station should get elevators too. Seems like a lot of elderly folks use that station. From what I've seen overall though, I get the impression thate the Bronx and Upper Manhattan are neglected when it comes to subway station rehabs. I wonder if they ever fixed that station in Washington Heights on the (1) line.

You mean 181 Street, where the roof collapsed, right?

P.S. Wouldn't it have made more sense to say all of this in the Random Thoughts thread?

The Culver EL stations are just as bad if not worst, that's the only reason I don't use the (F) more often as those stations are lightly used and very laid back and quiet, not to mention nice views of the Lower Mantthan skyline as you wait for the train. B)

I was over there yesterday to get a Metrocard for a friend who was using the express bus with me since I wasn't sure where else we could get one at without paying in cash. I hadn't been to that station in a long time, but it seems it have really gone down hill. My friend stayed in the car while I went upstairs to get a Metrocard, and upon coming down I thought I was going to fall through the stairs. My question is when are they going to rehab that station? It is desperate need of repair from the top down and I could see someone getting seriously injured. I would think if they're going to use wood that they would replace it more frequently or use something more durable since it doesn't last very long. Also only one of the machines that I tried worked so if that one ran out of Metrocards and you wanted to use a debit or credit card, you would be out of luck.

I don't like that wood shit either; I'm glad you brought that station up & mentioned that facet of it....

The last time I went out there (to catch the BL-3), I was walkin towards the stairs & one of the wood strips cracked.... walkin down the stairs themselves I don't care for either; while I didn't hold on to the rail, I did lean my body along it as I was descending towards the buses.....

I've also heard about the problems w/ the MVM's at that station.... that corner store (on the manhattan bound "side" of broadway), I could imagine, is makin a killing off of selling metrocards.... always wondered why ppl. stop in there to get metrocards (as much as I have noticed).... you'd have thought the station didn't have a S/A or an MVM......

But yeah, from platform level to street level, that station is the pits......

The (F) has some great views, but yes, those stations needs to be fixed up. south of Church is fine, north of it, then it becomes hectic. It is night and day.

I'm glad Brighton is finally done, stations look great and it's good to have an express again.

You mean north of Newkirk, bro... platform level @ beverly & cortelyou are still raggedy & worn down... I hate waiting for the train @ either of those stations.... feels like you're waiting for a train inside the lincoln tunnel during rush hour.... oh, and the runoff dripping overhead & the peeling paint flying off as the train enters the station aint no fun either....

But yeh, it is refreshing to see the rejuvenated stations along the Brighton.

The (2) and (6) lines in the Bronx had their stations totally renovated and they look pretty good.

Only the (2) and (4) had full renovations except for Intervale and the underground stations, the (6) is renovated from Parkchester to Whitlock.

I mean the elevated portion, the open cut ones including the northern end of Prospect Park are a mess.

Parkside Avenue or whatever that station is called was always disgusting going back to when I lived in Sheepshead Bay. You could smell the stench of piss from the train if you were in the first car. :(

You mean 181 Street, where the roof collapsed, right?

P.S. Wouldn't it have made more sense to say all of this in the Random Thoughts thread?

Yeah that's the one. So how about you answer that for me? ;)

P.S. No I think it's good to have a thread on this because Llhota has been talking about how the (MTA) is going to work to make stations more presentable and from what I see the stations look worse, not better.

How are the Sea Beach (N) stations?

Still looks like fred flintstone visited them recently.....

The Sea Beach stations have to be some of the worst in the system. They were gross back when I was a teenager some 15 years ago and they're still gross. Really an eyesore. I think 86th street might have been worked on a bit if I recall, but the others are just nasty. There isn't much to do with those stations, so I don't see why they can't fix up the walls. I mean painting them is not going to last very long in the elements, so you would think they could use something that could withstand the elements a little better. For what they pay for renovations I think they need to find better materials that can hold up better. Why use wood when you know that you're probably not going to renovate a station for years and years knowing that wood needs more upkeep especially if you're not going to use any sort of protective material on it? :confused:

Only the (2) and (4) had full renovations except for Intervale and the underground stations, the (6) is renovated from Parkchester to Whitlock.

Yes, I meant the elevated segements for the (6). The underground stops are still the same.

You mean north of Newkirk, bro... platform level @ beverly & cortelyou are still raggedy & worn down... I hate waiting for the train @ either of those stations.... feels like you're waiting for a train inside the lincoln tunnel during rush hour.... oh, and the runoff dripping overhead & the peeling paint flying off as the train enters the station aint no fun either....

But yeh, it is refreshing to see the rejuvenated stations along the Brighton.

Damn, I am losing it now. lol. Right, Forgot about Newkirk. Agreed about those stops. Platforms past the stairwell are just too narrow. Maybe the stations aren't heavily used, but they shouldn't be that narrow. I am hoping they either widen those platforms or build a new station b/w those 2 and keep the platforms as extensions so riders north and south of the new station can still use the existing entrances. Basically give both a decent referbishment or just give up on them and build a totally new station.

Parkside Avenue or whatever that station is called was always disgusting going back to when I lived in Sheepshead Bay. You could smell the stench of piss from the train if you were in the first car. ;)

The Sea Beach stations have to be some of the worst in the system. They were gross back when I was a teenager some 15 years ago and they're still gross. Really an eyesore. I think 86th street might have been worked on a bit if I recall, but the others are just nasty. There isn't much to do with those stations, so I don't see why they can't fix up the walls. I mean painting them is not going to last very long in the elements, so you would think they could use something that could withstand the elements a little better. For what they pay for renovations I think they need to find better materials that can hold up better. Why use wood when you know that you're probably not going to renovate a station for years and years knowing that wood needs more upkeep especially if you're not going to use any sort of protective material on it? :confused:

1] Doesn't surprise me, those stops north of Newkirk are still terrible.

2] Everyone keeps pointing out Chambers, but Sea beach as a whole is just appauling. I felt that the MTA should've been focused on fixing up Sea beach rather than the lower used stations of the Far Rock/Rock Park (A)/(S).

Everyone keeps pointing out Chambers, but Sea beach as a whole is just appauling. I felt that the MTA should've been focused on fixing up Sea beach rather than the lower used stations of the Far Rock/Rock Park (A)/(S).

Not just that but they could rehab those stations at a very low cost if done right.

Everyone keeps pointing out Chambers, but Sea beach as a whole is just appauling. I felt that the MTA should've been focused on fixing up Sea beach rather than the lower used stations of the Far Rock/Rock Park A/S

QFE, on both points.

agreed 100%... Not that the rockaway stations don't matter, but IMO it should be about priority.... The Sea Beach should've been next in line for reconstruction right after (or even along the same timeframe with) the Brighton.... what it is, is that, they're building up down there in the Rockaways... people are buying up those new homes like mad, too..... FWIW, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you start seeing actual A service split equally b/w Mott av & B 116th st in the next 10-15 years....

I agree, everytime someone makes the lowest bid, the project goes beyond budget. What's the point of the 'shellgame'? They should impose punishments on the parties involved with the job if they go over budget. They should make realistic estimates, not some lowball number to win a contract.

QFE, on both points.

agreed 100%... Not that the rockaway stations don't matter, but IMO it should be about priority.... The Sea Beach should've been next in line for reconstruction right after (or even along the same timeframe with) the Brighton.... what it is, is that, they're building up down there in the Rockaways... people are buying up those new homes like mad, too..... FWIW, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you start seeing actual A service split equally b/w Mott av & B 116th st in the next 10-15 years....

The day B105th leapfrogs a non Rock Park station for the lowest regularly used station, I will be very surprised.

A split (A)? that would be something. Then again, would be nice to just have the (S) run to Howard Beach rather than Broad Channel [the middle of nowhere]. Too many (A) branches. And speaking of BC, damn, that station needs to be fixed up. I would say they should make the (S) go to HB all times [when the (S) runs] even after they fix up BC.

I agree, everytime someone makes the lowest bid, the project goes beyond budget. What's the point of the 'shellgame'? They should impose punishments on the parties involved with the job if they go over budget. They should make realistic estimates, not some lowball number to win a contract.

The day B105th leapfrogs a non Rock Park station for the lowest regularly used station, I will be very surprised.

A split (A)? that would be something. Then again, would be nice to just have the (S) run to Howard Beach rather than Broad Channel [the middle of nowhere]. Too many (A) branches. And speaking of BC, damn, that station needs to be fixed up. I would say they should make the (S) go to HB all times [when the (S) runs] even after they fix up BC.

There's no place for it to turn at Howard Beach unless one takes out one of the express tracks and puts a platform there. One idea is to continue rehabbing one of the express tracks all the up to the racetrack, build a full-length platform on the other with crossover to the uptown, and terminate the shuttle there, with it single tracking from the Racetrack to south of Howard Beach.

Hem, that's interesting. My idea would've been to install switches north of the station to allow a n/b (S) train to terminate, switch to the 'n/b express or s/b express' and then relay back to the s/b platform at Howard beach. Basically a reverse of Broad channel where the sidings are on the outside. My idea would be to make the unused express tracks the 'layup tracks'.

Then riders will have a far nicer station to use [overhead passage] as well as elevators/escelators. Not to mention the station being more inland, it would be warmer than waiting at BC, where not even that heater in that 'bus shelter' is enough to keep a person warm in the winter.

I am assuming the only reason the (S) currently ends at BC is to save the cost on running one more train with crew.

*note to self: I've gotta make some drawings of these stuff some day

It rolls two issues along the Rockaway line and attempts to address them simultaneously. The actual idea could be a combination of the two, build a platform on 3 track at the Racetrack for s/b service to stop there, and have 4 tk function as a middle track to terminate the (S).

Archived