242nd street - Van Cortlandt Park station

Via Garibaldi 8

You mean 181 Street, where the roof collapsed, right?

P.S. Wouldn't it have made more sense to say all of this in the Random Thoughts thread?

Yes that was it.

The (2) and (6) lines in the Bronx had their stations totally renovated and they look pretty good.

-

I was at that station, 242nd few weeks ago and I agree that that station needs to be fixed up. The wood [thankfully looks intact], but they would be better just pouring concrete. As for elevators, I wonder where they would be built? Would it be on both ends [one by the side next to the park and the other by the stores]?

The (2) and (4)*lines. Renovation completed around late 2008.

Still looks like fred flintstone visited them recently.....

LMFAOOOO. Yabba Dabba DOOOOOO!

That line could use some work! When was the last renovation for any of those stations?

I hope they fixed it. They closed the station for 2 weeks.

lol... I thought you had more info than that on it. I asked about it because I heard a while ago on some news channel that it hadn't been fixed, but perhaps since the news station reported on it, maybe something was done.

The (2) and (4)*lines. Renovation completed around late 2008.

That line could use some work! When was the last renovation for any of those stations?

I meant to point out about the elevated segments of the (6) especially stations like Whitlock. I only know of the (4) at 161st, but haven't journeyed further up that line in a while, but will take your word for it.

It rolls two issues along the Rockaway line and attempts to address them simultaneously. The actual idea could be a combination of the two, build a platform on 3 track at the Racetrack for s/b service to stop there, and have 4 tk function as a middle track to terminate the (S).

That is an interesting idea. Would there be an overhead cross over to allow people to get from that platform to the current one or would it be a connection built below the tracks?

I meant to point out about the elevated segments of the (6) especially stations like Whitlock. I only know of the (4) at 161st, but haven't journeyed further up that line in a while, but will take your word for it.

That is an interesting idea. Would there be an overhead cross over to allow people to get from that platform to the current one or would it be a connection built below the tracks?

Got ya!

So far Whitelock, thru Parkchester is up-to-date. Every other station on the Pelham Line is still the same.

Yeah the only lines whose structure stations are done end to end is the (2) and (4). Remember, Intervale burnt down and was rebuilt much more recently then the stations around it, and therefore didn't need a rehab, even though a fresh paint job to make it more uniform with the stations around of it woud have been nice. Mosholu also was done slightly sooner than the rest because of that partial collapse in the stairwell area.

Yeah the only lines whose structure stations are done end to end is the (2) and (4). Remember, Intervale burnt down and was rebuilt much more recently then the stations around it, and therefore didn't need a rehab, even though a fresh paint job to make it more uniform with the stations around of it woud have been nice. Mosholu also was done slightly sooner than the rest because of that partial collapse in the stairwell area.

They could install the Yellow bump platform edge at Intervale. And a Paint job can be done. That station is good for another 10-20 years maybe?

Only station pending rehab is Mott Avenue.

The Dyre Avenue line could use a touch up (Not a huge tho). They even got light bulbs (inactive) at Pelham Pkwy, active at Dyre from the NYW&B days.

I was over there yesterday to get a Metrocard for a friend who was using the express bus with me since I wasn't sure where else we could get one at without paying in cash. I hadn't been to that station in a long time, but it seems it have really gone down hill. My friend stayed in the car while I went upstairs to get a Metrocard, and upon coming down I thought I was going to fall through the stairs. My question is when are they going to rehab that station? It is in desperate need of repair from the top down and I could see someone getting seriously injured. I would think if they're going to use wood that they would replace it more frequently or use something more durable since it doesn't last very long. Also only one of the machines that I tried worked so if that one ran out of Metrocards and you wanted to use a debit or credit card, you would be out of luck.

They are doing some rehab at that station. The canopy over the center (in service) platform used to leak like crazy but it was patched up over last spring/summer/fall. There's a lot of materials currently being stored on the (unused) side platforms while work continues. I don't know the full scope of the project, but I'd imagine those staircases are getting attention.

Constraints:

-As it's an outdoor station, work must be done during daylight hours only when trains are running - which means extra precautions have to be taken to make sure customers are safe from any hazards associated with an open worksite.

-It's a busy terminal station with a single platform, so closing down "one side" is not an option as has been done at other stations like Dyckman. Trains must continue to stop there. Reopening the side platforms to facilitate this is not an option either, as they only platform 9 cars and have limited clearance space in some areas.

-There's no easy place to cross Broadway there (have to walk north to next street), so staircases on both sides (park side and building side) must remain open. Which means if/when they get to that part, I'd imagine they'd shut one staircase on each side and leave the other open, and then reverse. The station entrance area also needs work. Most of the stations along that line do. Dyckman is starting to make progress on the S/B and the N/B was much needed. No more topsy turvy platform ;)

They are doing some rehab at that station. The canopy over the center (in service) platform used to leak like crazy but it was patched up over last spring/summer/fall. There's a lot of materials currently being stored on the (unused) side platforms while work continues. I don't know the full scope of the project, but I'd imagine those staircases are getting attention.

Constraints:

-As it's an outdoor station, work must be done during daylight hours only when trains are running - which means extra precautions have to be taken to make sure customers are safe from any hazards associated with an open worksite.

-It's a busy terminal station with a single platform, so closing down "one side" is not an option as has been done at other stations like Dyckman. Trains must continue to stop there. Reopening the side platforms to facilitate this is not an option either, as they only platform 9 cars and have limited clearance space in some areas.

-There's no easy place to cross Broadway there (have to walk north to next street), so staircases on both sides (park side and building side) must remain open. Which means if/when they get to that part, I'd imagine they'd shut one staircase on each side and leave the other open, and then reverse. The station entrance area also needs work. Most of the stations along that line do. Dyckman is starting to make progress on the S/B and the N/B was much needed. No more topsy turvy platform ;)

Yeah it desperately needs whatever they can do to it. I suppose those stations on the (1) line in Washington Heights will remain decrepit for a while longer since these stations need help sooner...

Wow.......you people really know how to exaggerated a stations unsatisfying looks. 242nd Street, I can Agree. Sea Beach, you guys make it sound way worse than it actually is. Beverley and Cortelyou? It looks to me like they got the 1998 style renovation to me. If not they would probrably look like the Sea Beach stations. The (F) El stations? They, again, are not as bad as people make it out to be. Chambers, of course I can agree.

Wow.......you people really know how to exaggerated a stations unsatisfying looks. 242nd Street, I can Agree. Sea Beach, you guys make it sound way worse than it actually is. Beverley and Cortelyou? It looks to me like they got the 1998 style renovation to me. If not they would probrably look like the Sea Beach stations. The (F) El stations? They, again, are not as bad as people make it out to be. Chambers, of course I can agree.

Yes... there is some truth, but there is some stretching.

Our descriptions are spot on. The entrances for the Beverly & Cortelyou stops are actually pretty nice, but the walls on the platforms are another story and they could fix that easily by using something that lasts a bit longer or scraping and repainting the walls more often.

The stations along the Sea Beach are GROSS. There is no over exaggeration there and they've been that way since I was a teenager and beyond, which is pathetic.

- Then tell us how much better you think the sea beach stations are, in comparison to how exaggerated 'us people' are making it out to be..... smh....

- pfft, platform level, Beverly & Cortelyou isn't that much better than the sea beach... the only difference is the mosaic/tiling they put up along the walls in the middle of the station.... lipstick on a pig basically....

- the F stations, I don't see any noticable problems with them... then again, I don't frequent the culver as much..... so no refutation from me on that one.....

Our descriptions are spot on. The entrances for the Beverly & Cortelyou stops are actually pretty nice, but the walls on the platforms are another story and they could fix that easily by using something that lasts a bit longer or scraping and repainting the walls more often.

The stations along the Sea Beach are GROSS. There is no over exaggeration there and they've been that way since I was a teenager and beyond, which is pathetic.

Paint in an exposed environment is SUPPOSED to peel after a while. It's called erosion. The (MTA) has way more important things to do than repaint a wall every time it get's slightly unsatisfactory. And AGAIN, you are making it sound worse than it actually is. Sea Beach, see the previous sentence. The Sea Beach stations are not gross. You are throwing that word too loosely. Chambers Street has hit the level of gross. Until Sea Beach get's that bad, it is not gross.

- Then tell us how much better you think the sea beach stations are, in comparison to how exaggerated 'us people' are making it out to be..... smh....

- pfft, platform level, Beverly & Cortelyou isn't that much better than the sea beach... the only difference is the mosaic/tiling they put up along the walls in the middle of the station.... lipstick on a pig basically....

Yep, that's pretty accurate about Cortelyou and Beverly. Sea Beach IMO would be as bad as Chambers if it was completely underground. That's the only thing that makes it tolerable.

Paint in an exposed environment is SUPPOSED to peel after a while. It's called erosion. The (MTA) has way more important things to do than repaint a wall every time it get's slightly unsatisfactory. And AGAIN, you are making it sound worse than it actually is. Sea Beach, see the previous sentence. The Sea Beach stations are not gross. You are throwing that word too loosely. Chambers Street has hit the level of gross. Until Sea Beach get's that bad, it is not gross.

Slightly unsatisfactory?? Well suppose a little kid ate some of the peeled paint chips accidentally or something and then what? Who knows if any of the paint has led in it since they wait so long to rehab stations? That should not be allowed to get into that state. When someone hits them up with a lawsuit for leaving stations is such poor shape, then we'll see if they have more important things to tackle. Then everyone will complain that folks are out to get the (MTA), but some of these things can be avoided.

That station at 181st street on the (1) line has sections of the friggin' roof almost caving in and from what I hear it still hasn't been repaired so at any time debris could come falling down on someone. Not exactly an exaggeration by any means. Scraping and repainting those walls would be a drop in the bucket money wise and time wise compared to the potential lawsuit they could face.

242nd street... If that station doesn't need work I don't know what station does. As for Chambers Street, when are they going to re-do that station? It's been in that state for years.

Guest lance25

Ceiling repair is supposed to begin at 181 St (and 168 St [iRT]) this June and continue through the next couple of years.

Concerning Chambers St (BMT), that station is slated to receive ADA accessibility as part of the (MTA)'s compliance to the ADA laws by 2020. Now, as we all know, these elevator installations are usually part of major station renovations, so I'd wager a guess that that's when Chambers St will get its much-needed rehab. When that will start is anyone's guess though, so take from that what you will.

Ceiling repair is supposed to begin at 181 St (and 168 St [iRT]) this June and continue through the next couple of years.

Concerning Chambers St (BMT), that station is slated to receive ADA accessibility as part of the (MTA)'s compliance to the ADA laws by 2020. Now, as we all know, these elevator installations are usually part of major station renovations, so I'd wager a guess that that's when Chambers St will get its much-needed rehab. When that will start is anyone's guess though, so take from that what you will.

Wow!! 2020??? :eek:

Guest lance25

2020 is the year the federal government gave to the agency to have its 100 key stations ADA accessible. I have no clue when they'll get started on Chambers St, but I hope we don't have to wait until 2020 before the project starts.

Do you even use the (F) EL stations or your basing this on just riding though?

Yea the platforms themselves look fine but....

With the (F) EL stations, its the stairs & Mezzanine area that are the issue, the stairs on those stations are scary as hell to walk on, fear your gonna fall though on McDonald Ave.

The Mezzanine at Bay Parkway is pretty lousy too, I'm shocked a train hasn't fell down into the Mezzanine at that station lol. I heard some mezzanines on the Culver EL stations there's holes in the floor where you can see the street below.

Do you even use the (F) EL stations or your basing this on just riding though?

Yea the platforms themselves look fine but....

With the (F) EL stations, its the stairs & Mezzanine area that are the issue, the stairs on those stations are scary as hell to walk on, fear your gonna fall though on McDonald Ave.

The Mezzanine at Bay Parkway is pretty lousy too, I'm shocked a train hasn't fell down into the Mezzanine at that station lol. I heard some mezzanines on the Culver EL stations there's holes in the floor where you can see the street below.

Quite frankly most of the elevated lines are in poor shape and the shotty materials used these days don't help either.

Quite frankly most of the elevated lines are in poor shape and the shotty materials used these days don't help either.

Then been fixing up the West End stations nicely, Even structurally, in the morning when my B8 passes the West End EL I see the contractors working on the foundation of the steel beams that supports the EL.

18th Ave got fixed up nicely, they put new stairs and everything! And the Mezzanine is pretty nice too, Its almost like a entirely new station.

Archived