Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I thought it looked like the old MTA truck but I wasn't sure if it was. Kind of interesting, I wonder if it's owned by Nassau County or if it's leased from the MTA?

I did see a bunch of NICE tow trucks down in Freeport in a private parking lot somewhere along the n88 route between Freeport LIRR Station and the Meadowbrook. I don't know what that symbolizes, but they may be leased from a private company.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet that would be the case... How many is a bunch? (How many could NICE possibly need?) When was this? Possibly they contracted or leased trucks to take the scrap trucks to the water treatment plant?

It was like 4 or 5. They had a nice logo on them, but that's all, I didn't see anything else distinctive. I took the n88 in May.

Saw a NICE tow truck on a lift on the parking lot outside a repair shop on Merrick Rd in Freeport. Def an odd sighting, wish I had time to get a pic but I was in a hurry.

So you see what I was talking about, kind of?

What are you talking about? They weren't staged but they seem to contract out the work of tow trucks to a shop on Merrick Rd. I thought it was odd because the shop/garage wasn't set up to accommodate a truck this size, so they had it on a lift in the front lot. lol

Have you seen this before? I got a pic on the way back I'll post up later...

If it's that repair shop next to the Valbrook there are also NYCT vans there every week... or maybe they're the same vans I've seen there for almost a year.

I don't know what it is with me and 1833 but it popped up on the n8 earlier... guess what's the same about it?

What's the same about it?

Have you seen this before? I got a pic on the way back I'll post up later...

Sorry for the quality they were taken from a moving car...

wspobd.jpg

2zg8878.jpg

If it's that repair shop next to the Valbrook there are also NYCT vans there every week... or maybe they're the same vans I've seen there for almost a year.

I don't know what it is with me and 1833 but it popped up on the n8 earlier... guess what's the same about it?

1833 still hasn't been wrapped? LOL

Sorry for the quality they were taken from a moving car...

wspobd.jpg

2zg8878.jpg

Thats exactly what I saw in Freeport but there were a couple more when I was there.

I just realized today that the Clever Devices on NICE, at least on the N35, will announce most stops and they only announced major stops under the MTA.

Yup, one of the few changes that NICE has made that hasn't bit people in the butt.

I think it's a bit annoying, I mean they just announce stops so frequently.

I don't ride NICE bus much now but I remember some mornings going to school or work and some drivers would have the volume on them cranked so loud that it really hurts the head.

The vast majority (more than 9 of 10) of rides that I take either have the Clever Devices turned off or more than 1 mile wrong.

From what I remember not much different than under MTA Long Island bus. I gotta quote an old lady that got legally blind I'm getting of at X, I don't trust that talking thing! He's either bling or lost...." lmao

Yup, one of the few changes that NICE has made that hasn't bit people in the butt.

I think a lot of people just love to harp on the negative, everything looks sh!tty when you wear your sh!t colored glasses. I really don't see many ways NICE is worse than MTA Long Island Bus. If it weren't for Veolia Pine Power would be sitting on the corner recoding himself for 2 hours with no buses coming because they would be operating a skeleton system this year.

I don't ride NICE bus much now but I remember some mornings going to school or work and some drivers would have the volume on them cranked so loud that it really hurts the head.

I believe the volume is set per announcement because I've been on several buses both this year and last year where some stops are announced much louder than others and you can easily tell.

The vast majority (more than 9 of 10) of rides that I take either have the Clever Devices turned off or more than 1 mile wrong.

I've seen drivers who fix this by shutting off the clever devices and resetting it at a traffic light or they can shift through the stops on the device to set it right, they'll set it for the next stop, seem stop fix the problem for a while. The problem is a vast majority of drivers don't care and either leave it as is or shut it off. Interesting I love how the fix includes opening and closing the service door. lol I had no idea what the hell they were doing when I 1st started riding LIB. lol

From what I remember not much different than under MTA Long Island bus. I gotta quote an old lady that got legally blind I'm getting of at X, I don't trust that talking thing! He's either bling or lost...." lmao

I think a lot of people just love to harp on the negative, everything looks sh!tty when you wear your sh!t colored glasses. I really don't see many ways NICE is worse than MTA Long Island Bus. If it weren't for Veolia Pine Power would be sitting on the corner recoding himself for 2 hours with no buses coming because they would be operating a skeleton system this year.

You really wouldn't know unless you rode the system daily... I do have quite a few complaints but I'm not a fat bum like him, even if I addressed them I'd just get the copypasta response, "oh we're doing whatever and we are sorry for the inconvenience."

He's been at it half his life, too...

Edited by Joel Up Front

You really wouldn't know unless you rode the system daily... I do have quite a few complaints but I'm not a fat bum like him, even if I addressed them I'd just get the copypasta response, "oh we're doing whatever and we are sorry for the inconvenience."

He's been at it half his life, too...

I love the Romney flip flop (yea I said it :D ) with him he hates the MTA, Veolia takes over and he wishes MTA was still around because it would be 10x better (we'll forget about the skeleton system because obviously he has) it's like it was all kittens and gum drops with the MTA. lol I really will never get that.

You're right I probably don't see a lot bof it ecause I don't take the buses. The thing is I love riding the bus, others don't. lol The last time I rode the bus was like a month ago I took the n19 to the n4. The n19 was actually packed and the homeless looking middle aged couple in the seats on front of me smirk and made fun of everyone getting on the bus (I really don't think I'm better than anyone) but these people looked homeless, she had a sweater that was ripped from the neck to the shoulder and they both smelled like the shavings that you put on the inside of a hamster cage AND PISS. :(

I ran to catch the n4 at freeport bc the next one was scheduled 10-15 minutes later and I didn't want to get to into Jamaica 10 to 15 minutes later (we got passed by that bus enroute :( ) the driver had little control of the bus. There was little traffic at that time in the morning. She lacked confidence (which is a big thing when you drive), she was slow (which is a good thing when you appear to not be able to control your bus) and she over shot bus stops! She literally stopped in the middle of the intersection t least 2 times (that I noticed) to pick up and drop off passengers!!!! I figured I'd be 20 minutes early for school, I was 20 minutes late for my class because of her.

I'm not your average commuter I usually take the LIRR I used to take the n19 to Freeport as it's a 15 minute walk to the LIRR or a 20 minute ride to Freeport LIRR, but now NICE has buses getting into Freeport at the exact same time the LIRR is scheduled to depart westbound. I dunno whats up with that, so no I hike up to my LIRR station.

I also go to school 1 day a week, I got to school ALL day, I leave in the morning and get back home at like 11:30pm or midnight. I also don't commute to work locally 5 days a week I deliver buses so my commute is taking the LIRR to Jamaica and the airtrain to JFK or the the LIRR to Penn, the subway to the port and shuttle buses to laguardia or Newark then fly to Minneapolis St Paul and a shuttle to pick up a C40LF or a flight to Atlanta and take a shuttle to pick up a school bus. Both are a hell of a commute. I get held up everywhere but I'm used to it and I guess because in my industry they push safety and you wouldn't do anything unsafe so I understand when an airline pulls a flight bc the pilot is unsure about the engine or other mechanical problems. I'd never give the front line employees the crap people give NICE drivers for equipment problems it's not their fault as equipment problems are not the fault of NICE drivers.

Because of what I do I am very out of touch with the average NICE rider who rides 5 days a week to go to and from school and/or work. But I've had internships and jobs. Before I went back to school I was driving a school bus and sold my car because I wanted to take the S1 to work instead of buying gas, paying insurance, and paying to maintain my car. I NEVER took the bus that got me to work just before I was supposed to report. What if the bus didn't come or it broke down and I had to wait for the next bus. Yea I know leaving earlier sucks but I don't understand people who take the bus that is pushing them being on time and then get upset at the service or driver when the bus is late making them late. I also had an internship and temp job (took a break from drive away) last year at this time through the winter. I always took the bus before the one that got in right before I had to be to work. Why would i want to be late because a bus breaks down or doesn't come? I don't understand how people put themselves in that position I was also taking LIB at the time where the buses weren't coming bc the buses were not passing DOT and the drivers were calling in sick/using their vacation time up.. I also like talking to people and putting myself in their shoes. A lot of people were late and this almost cost people their jobs (maybe in some cases it did) but it seemed like most people didn't leave early. "why should I !?!" One lady exclaimed to a driver as she screamed at him for "them" "playing games with peoples lives" She screamed that "they" made everyone an hour late, i don't know about everyone else but not me because I put on an extra sweat shirt (expecting to be waiting for a while outside) and took the the bus 2 buses early! I wasn't late! It sucks leaving who wants to!?! but it's called personal responsibility! It's no one else's responsibility to get me to where I'm going on time but my own, If there is a known problem you leave early. Then again the MTA could have done a better job communicating what buses times certain buses were not coming so people didn't have to stand out in the cold, but that's a whole other story!

Edited by Burrstone