Surprising train car

rfortyslant

ok, so im coming from central park the other day. I go to the subway station which is the (B) and (C) trains. at 72 st station there are 2 tracks visible from one side. one where the (B) and (C) trains stop and the express track where the (A) and the (D) trains pass. when i got to the station, i heard a train coming so I was sprinting to get to the front of the station because I still look from the front window of train cars to see the trackview B). to my surprise, it was the express (A) train. and it wasnt a normal r-38 or r-46. it was an r-40m. i was shocked because i have never seen any thing like it. I have only seen the (L),(B),(Q),(W), and sometimes the (D) as r-40M's. never the a train! what do you think?

Sure it's not an R42? Cuz there are some R42s on the (A) last I checked.

well it probablyw as an r42. r42s have shorter back windows at the ends of the subway cars unlike the r40m who have longer windows at the end. i should know because i rode on it on my way home! B) its so hard to tell because r40m's and r42's look the same in some ways.

What you saw had to be an R42. Its nothing new anymore, they've been on the (A) for quite some time now.

All 3 r40 models have a curved "cut out" along the middle above a lightly corrugated section on the side panel of the body.

- Andy

There are only two models of R40s....

ive seen those on many of them

It was part of the overall "modern" design Ray Lowey had for the R40. Sadly it didn't turn out like they had hoped and ended up with the slant end being "canceled" in favor of a traditional rounded flat end.

- Andy

It was part of the overall "modern" design Ray Lowey had for the R40. Sadly it didn't turn out like they had hoped and ended up with the slant end being "canceled" in favor of a traditional rounded flat end.

- Andy

I read in some book that the author thought the slant design might have worked if it was in a 4/5 car set instead of in married pairs.

I heard the "R40M-slant" and R40-modified were part of one order, R40A... is that true? and that there are 100 of each.

Yea, the original slants were half of a 2 part order, the R40A came in a slant version, the equipment layout of things like the A/C and stuff was different from the original slant, then they had the remaining R40A's modified to remove the slanted ends. You can't tell the difference externally between the 2 slanted types, but you can inside, because the poles are in different patterns, one is straight down the center, the other type has the A/C in the end, and the middle, so its poles are off-set. The R40a modified cars have them down the middle as well. You will find the 2 slant types together, and you can tell them apart from the platform by the pole pattern.

- Andy

I heard the "R40M-slant" and R40-modified were part of one order, R40A... is that true? and that there are 100 of each.

R40 - Cars 4150-4349

R40A - Cars 4350-4549

R40 - Slanted ends

R40A (4350-4449) - Same as R40, but with different pole locations along with other minor modifications

R40A (4450-4549) - Same as other R40As, but with an R42 end. Unofficially referred to as R40M.

R40 - Cars 4150-4349

R40A - Cars 4350-4549

R40 - Slanted ends

R40A (4350-4449) - Same as R40, but with different pole locations along with other minor modifications

R40A (4450-4549) - Same as other R40As, but with an R42 end. Unofficially referred to as R40M.

correction R40A slant different poles because of the A/C

Archived