Cameras appearing on NICE buses

I have to say it's about time, I saw a camera near the driver's windshield on bus 1752 today. Looks like it faces outside and in. So it looks like Veolia is finally taking the vandalism problem more seriously. There's been a rash of gang taggings in the buses. They really need to clean the criminal element off the buses and this is a good start.

The cameras will also be good in the event of an accident. They should have a sign though that says "this bus monitored by video recording device" like NJT has.

• 4 weeks later...

Originally published: June 20, 2012 7:09 PM

Updated: June 20, 2012 10:09 PM

By ALFONSO A. CASTILLO alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

image.JPG

Photo credit: Newsday/Chris Ware | NICE Bus recently installed video cameras inside buses that will turn on whenever there is sudden movement--such as hard braking, a sharp turn, or an accident. (June 18, 2012)

Nassau County's bus operator plans to install video cameras inside all NICE system vehicles in an effort to curb drivers' bad habits and cut fuel costs. But the head of the bus drivers union said she's not thrilled about having "Big Brother" on board.

Using technology designed by San Diego-based Smart DriveSystems, two small cameras inside each Nassau Inter County Express bus will be triggered...

Source Link: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nice-plans-video-cameras-in-buses-1.3795288

==A Better Non-Subscription Article is currently being dug up, we'll be back==

They're already in many of NICE's buses, almost all of them.

Anyway, here's the article:

LINK: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=BE09DD6E7520E49338B6.3239?site=newsday&view=search_results_item&feed:a=newsday_1min&feed:c=topstories&feed:i=1.3795288&feed:tag=newsday_1min,newsday_5min,newsday_10min&feed:max=50&feed:search=NICE%20plans%20video%20cameras%20in%20buses

Nassau County's bus operator plans to install video cameras inside all NICE system vehicles in an effort to curb drivers' bad habits and cut fuel costs. But the head of the bus drivers union said she's not thrilled about having "Big Brother" on board.

Using technology designed by San Diego-based Smart DriveSystems, two small cameras inside each Nassau Inter County Express bus will be triggered by jarring movements like hard braking, sudden acceleration or sharp turns. One camera will be pointed at the driver, the other at the road ahead.

The cameras continuously record, but only save video of the moments immediately before such incidents. SmartDrive will review the recordings and send reports on NICE Bus driver trends.

"We're . . . looking for the riskiest behavior," SmartDrive president Jason Palmer said. "If you think about game films for professional athletes, these are game films for professional drivers."

Rapid starts, high speed and sudden stops can reduce fuel efficiency, officials said.

The cameras are supplemented by a display that lets a driver know how much fuel is being consumed.

The systems cost from $700 to $850 per vehicle, plus monthly service fees ranging from $40 to $60 per vehicle, according to SmartDrive. Officials with Veolia Transportation, the private company operating NICE Bus, said employees will undergo training before the system is activated later this year.

NICE Bus chief executive Michael Setzer said the cameras will not be used for surveillance of drivers and passengers.

Veolia contracted with SmartDrive last year to install cameras in the more than 200 bus systems it operates in North America .

Setzer said he expects the camera program to decrease fuel costs by 3 percent to 4 percent, which could mean more than $15,000 a month in savings for NICE Bus, and provide safer, smoother rides for passengers.

Patricia Bowden, president of the Transport Workers Union Local 252, which represents about 800 NICE Bus employees, said she was skeptical of Veolia's intentions, and called the projected fuel savings estimates "far-fetched."

She said she fears Veolia will use recorded video, out of context, against the most senior drivers to "push them out" and replace them with lower-paid drivers. Setzer denied that claim.

"I feel this is something to distract drivers rather than help them," Bowden said. "They should be concentrating on the road, and not on what a camera is doing."

Setzer said drivers will get used to the technology, and it will eventually become their "best friend." And, if an accident occurs, recorded video can show a bus driver wasn't at fault, he said.

Andre Colaiace, deputy executive director for Access Services, which provides buses for the disabled in Los Angeles, said SmartDrive has been "very successful" in reducing accidents and legal claims since it was installed on that fleet in 2010.

A driver can also manually activate the camera to record, including during disputes with passengers, Setzer said.

NICE Bus rider April Mitchell of Valley Stream said she wouldn't mind seeing more accountability for bus drivers, who she said sometimes drive too fast and dangerously.

"If they know the video camera is there, they'll act better," said Mitchell, 20, a Nassau Community College student, after stepping off the N4 bus Wednesday.

in an effort to curb drivers' bad habits

Just in the past couple of days I've witnessed a NICE bus in the lesft lane REFUSE to pull to the right for an ambulance and Suffolk County Sheriff in Babylon/west Babylon. Traffic was stopped for a good while before the vehicles came up to the bus, vehicles pulled to the right on both sides of Montauk HWY except for the NICE bus. He had enough time to get over considering I pulled my phone out to take a video of him just sitting there in the left lane, no one to the right of him! Like a bone head I hit another button when I went to record so I didn't get the video. Ambulance comes up behind him hits the horn while the sirens are on, the bus stays so he goes around, sheriff car does the same he stays! I'm hoping the sheriff got the bus number and reported him!

Then when traffic resumes the NICE driver is smirking/giggling as the thing was a joke.

Next day my mother mentions in conversation she couldn't believe she saw a NICE bus driver talking on the phone as he rolled along in traffic,phone in left hand up to left ear smirking at traffic oncoming traffic "like he was the sh!t..." (my mothers comment not mine).

wtf is going on with these drivers!?!

NICE pays the same that the same (MTA) Long Island Bus paid....

...and you think $26.92/hr (top pay) is a little bit of money? You want to tell me where a Class B driver is paid more in Nassau County? I'd love to apply! Also have you checked out the market for class B/P drivers? The market is flooded with applicants! Go check what other places are paying! As low as $10... In fact the only other place playing anything close is Atlantic Express with a B/P/S starting at around $14(?) with insurance you could make as much as almost $19 but that's if you chose the no benefits option (NICE offers full benefits)... BUT Atlantic is driving a school bus, aka part time 9.5-10 months a year! Yea you can get unemployment I doubt you'd be happy with the scraps unemployment pays if you think NICE pays bad. NICE is a full time 40 hour a week, year round job... I think SCT might pay more out of bayshore, but for a couple bucks an hour the routes seem a tad more complicated.. I also prefer afternoon/night work so SCT wouldn't work out for me as they shut down kinda early.

So, why exactly do you think NICE is such a terrible place to work?

image.JPG

Photo credit: Newsday/Chris Ware | NICE Bus recently installed video cameras inside buses that will turn on whenever there is sudden movement--such as hard braking, a sharp turn, or an accident. (June 18, 2012)

I noticed this past week that this is the exact same camera Super Shuttle (Veolia) uses.

Archived