is NICE farebox not kept up?

I generally buy 30 day unlimited pass. I take both the NICE bus then transfer to the MTA subway system on a daily basis.

About the 26th day of usage of the metrocard, I get on the NICE bus and the card doesn't read. Ran thru it a half dozen time & it doesn't work. Driver said to pay up or leave. So I leave to go back to the nyc subway to see what is wrong with the card. The self check subway card reader can read the card. I ask the clerk if its ok. Clerk says its a good card. I replied back, I had trouble with this card on the bus (i didn't say which bus to her). The irate clerk said subways has nothing to do with the bus. Off I go to the next NICE bus that came. Same problem, it doesn't read at all. So I got off the bus & saw another NICE bus directly behind it. 3rd NICE bus finally worked. The next day, I decided not to risk the same drama & sent the metrocard back to MTA (with my orginal receipt) saying it was defective.

my conclusion: Very possible the metrocard was about to be faulty/crapping out.

Now about one month later, I am about 15 days into my new unlimited metrocard. This morning....same thing. put it in half dozen times and it doesn't read. The morning driver who recognize me is very nice, said its ok & let me thru. When I head to the mta subway station, the same card worked with no problems at all. Again, I used it on the mta system midday & it worked no problem.

my conclusion: is the card crapping out on me again OR is NICE just not maintaining their farebox?

Any advice?: I would assume MTA will say its NICE farebox crapping out if I complain. NICE might say send it back to mta when this happens. Any insight this debacle? I am a lifelong NYer who ridden the subway as long as I remember. So I do know how to swipe (yeah the bus should be a no brainer) & I do take care of my metrocards by putting it in those metrocard plastic holder by itself alone. I can't ever recall metrocards crapping out on me back to back so I am slightly incline to say its NICE farebox has issues. I've personally witness others have similiar problems

The NICE metrocard machines are not kept up like the city bus ones are. NICE doesn't have high maintenance and its personnel is slowly dropping both in numbers and quality. The hiring positions for maintenance in Nassau County on Veolia's website has been open since last year. With the metrocard problems, drivers don't know whether to trust their machine or trust the customer. If they trust the customer, farebeaters could easily get on. If they trust the machine, so many people would never be able to get on. NICE can't afford to pay the (MTA) to fix the machines when the problem is clearly NICE's fault, but the machines are owned by the (MTA) and rented to NICE. It all adds up to screw the system over and you can easily trace all these problems and more back to Mangano and his poor administration.

In my experience with NICE bus, the ratio of cash customers to MetroCard customers is about 2:1.

Wasn't there an actual statistic about that the (MTA) used to put in its Long Island Bus annual report?

Lets see what Veolia has in terms of NICE job openings (no pay data is available):

-Grants administrator

-Utility worker (fueling, coins, cleaning)

-Procurement intern

-Technician class B

-Revenue system repair technician class A (fareboxes)

-Transit Purchasing associate

-Transportation Manager Mitchel Field

-Assistant Maintenance Manager

-Director of Safety, Training, and Security

-Safety & Training Supervisor RVC

-Bus operator

Wasn't there an actual statistic about that the (MTA) used to put in its Long Island Bus annual report?

I've never seen such a figure...

For the first month of them running the service, I kept having an additional $2.25 deducted from my card if I ever got on a second bus when the transfer was valid. As spring went along, the MVMs at Hempstead would malfunction and a lot of bus operators got earfuls from passengers about them being broken or, a few times, only accepting coins (not even debit/credit cards). I'd have to go all the way to 179th Street just to refill it, and then lose another $2.25 on that card for the return trip. It's June and even now the MVMs are malfunctioning every other day - one wasn't taking bills and security had to direct people.

Lets see what Veolia has in terms of NICE job openings (no pay data is available):

-Revenue system repair technician class A (fareboxes)

For someone to fill that job, wouldn't someone who knows how the (MTA) fareboxes work have to come from the (MTA)? And we all know nobody would do that!

Well the job qualifications in the posting don't mention anything about knowledge of MTA fareboxes, just prior farebox work in general.

Essential Knowledge and Skills:

• ASE Certifications Preferred
  • Three (3) years progressive heavy electronic box repair experience required
  • Two (2) year certificate in Farebox preferred
  • High school diploma or GED required
  • Must have computer word processing skills
  • Must have the knowledge and ability to perform micro-processing wiring and repair and controller wiring and repairs
  • Must have an in depth understanding of the principles of the profession and systems on active fleet
  • Must be able to work with diagnostic equipment, to include the use of schematics and wiring diagrams
  • Must have the ability to communicate diagnostic information, schematics, and electrical problems both verbally and in written form to Maintenance staff and outside vendors
  • Must have knowledge of the warranty process
  • Must work amid constant interruptions
  • Must have the ability to prioritize and be detail oriented
  • Must have basic understanding of codes and regulations
  • Elementary radio skills required
  • Must be autonomous and self directed
  • Must have basic math skills
  • Must be able to perform physical activities including lifting up to seventy-five (75) pounds
  • Must be able to obtain and retain a Commercial Driver's License, Class B with Passenger endorsement
  • Must be able to pass physical examination including a drug test

so basically, NICE buses are slowly decomposing with zero upkeep?

Twice, I personally witness the b/o let every passenger on free bc the farebox was broken. I've been situation where the bus itself broke down twice in the past 3 months. Going fwd, I am wondering whats going on with basic maintenance. This could spell trouble post Jan, 2013.

I'll make an honest assessment with my route (n20/21) which of course is not representative of the whole system. I am sure MTA employees was angry about losing LIB. MTA LIB employees and some riders would claim everything will go down in flames with NICE. Personnel wise, NICE employees are marginally nicer than mta employees. The bus service is about the same as MTA which isn't a compliment....its just fair. About once a month or so, all hell breaks loose. A typical debacle is no bus during peak rush hr for 45 min to an hour...then 4-5 bus comes all at once. If NICE is really running this on a far smaller budget, then more power to them & great for the public riders.

There are much fewer maintanance personnel. And I've been told by a bus operator at tonight's Bus Rider Union meeting that they really dont have enough money to even maintain the buses. I'm usually on at least one bus each day where the farebox acts up with Read Errors, usually the driver lets them go through. And yes there's been lots of breakdowns, the 1500s are pretty much shot to hell now.

I wonder how much longer til NICE drops altogether.

Probably the first major heat wave of the summer..!!

There are much fewer maintanance personnel. And I've been told by a bus operator at tonight's Bus Rider Union meeting that they really dont have enough money to even maintain the buses. I'm usually on at least one bus each day where the farebox acts up with Read Errors, usually the driver lets them go through. And yes there's been lots of breakdowns, the 1500s are pretty much shot to hell now.

Probably the first major heat wave of the summer..!!

Yea the summer will hit them hard!

^^^ My 1,000th POST!!! ^^^

Come July 1 the county can assess penalties. I wonder what they will do then...

Can anyone think of a transit system in the USA/Canada, large or small, except for Detroit, that is in the same or worse condition than NICE?

Come July 1 the county can assess penalties. I wonder what they will do then...

Can anyone think of a transit system in the USA/Canada, large or small, except for Detroit, that is in the same or worse condition than NICE?

Most of the Great Lakes region [other than Chicago Metro] have poor transit systems, this NICE is the only one that is perhaps is worst out of the Great Lake Region.

I really think NICE might not be around for long, because communication with their reps on the page I run on Facebook have been on and off, on and off so yep...

Most of the Great Lakes region [other than Chicago Metro] have poor transit systems, this NICE is the only one that is perhaps is worst out of the Great Lake Region.

I really think NICE might not be around for long, because communication with their reps on the page I run on Facebook have been on and off, on and off so yep...

They stopped responding to my e-mails and stopped answering my questions altogether which leads me to believe they're hiding some things.

how's their customer service #?

I once asked the b/o very nicely why was her bus consistently 30-1hr late (this particular bus) everyday without fail. Being slightly irate, she suggested I call the NICE customer service.

It definately will be very interesting how NICE will continue in the upcoming 6 months or so. I am not at the breaking point of going back to the LIRR yet. The service is about the same as MTA running at this point for me.

In your opinion, which is worse: NICE as it is now, or the MTA as it was in November?

The MTA in November was still much worse because of all the missing runs. 20-30% of the runs never showed up and thats a conservative estimate.

Well they did install the cameras on the buses, I doubt they'd have done that if they didnt have plans to stick around.

so rantpower enjoying your rantfest

Dude, shut up. He's stating his opinion, which could be called a "rant". But just now, right above your post, he's giving the facts.

so rantpower enjoying your rantfest

Shut up.

Dude, shut up. He's stating his opinion, which could be called a "rant". But just now, right above your post, he's giving the facts.

Just like everyone on this forum tells me. Don't feed the troll.

Archived