NYCLU unveils frisk video app

mark1447

The NYCLU unveiled its “Stop and Frisk Watch” smartphone app in front of police headquarters today.

Users of the app can hit record to start shooting video if they witness a stop. If they shake the phone, it stops filming, and the video is sent to NYCLU. Users are also asked to take a brief survey about the stop. The NYCLU said they’ll use the video to investigate incidents, but won’t keep the information in a database.

The app can even be used to find stop-and-frisks going on in your neighborhood, or to report a police incident that wasn’t filmed.

Executive director Donna Lieberman stressed that witnesses should not interfere with the stop, and that people stopped by cops should cooperate.

The Occupy Wall Street-inspired software was designed by Jason Van Anden, a Brooklyn artist who made the app “I’m Getting Arrested,” which protesters used to send texts to their contacts when they were taken into police custody.

The NYCLU claims the number of stop-and-frisks have exploded during Mayor Bloomberg’s tenure, unfairly targeting blacks and Latinos.

“I came here to see the app,” said Jason Javier, 23, of Washington Heights. “People are starting to record stop and frisks, and this can help. It’s very simple.”

The app is currently available for Android phones, and an iPhone version will be available later this summer.

Source:: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nyclu_unveils_frisk_video_app_JSoXFYHLB6VEFOZmbVhkNO#ixzz1x60NXpGL

Download the App:

http://www.nyclu.org/app

For Google Android 2.2x (Froyo) and higher

Good. This is a racist, ineffective, and unconstitutional program and steps like this are the route to the eventual necessary abolishing of stop and frisk.

Now if only there was one for those who like to film (Photo/Video) and may get some sort of harassment or told not to (even tho you can). That would be nice :)

Good. This is a racist, ineffective, and unconstitutional program and steps like this are the route to the eventual necessary abolishing of stop and frisk.

I was a victim of this at Downtown Brooklyn while attempting to shoot a new C40LF on the B61. Padded down and searched for something that was completely irrelevant to the situation which was taking photos. I just complied so there wouldn't be any trouble. Made a complaint and supposedly they were going to look into it but I never got a reply....mind you, this was last month.

I was a victim of this at Downtown Brooklyn while attempting to shoot a new C40LF on the B61. Padded down and searched for something that was completely irrelevant to the situation which was taking photos. I just complied so there wouldn't be any trouble. Made a complaint and supposedly they were going to look into it but I never got a reply....mind you, this was last month.

That surely had to be embarrassing. I guess they were doing this because of your color? Not cool of them.

They're never frisking my ass, over my dead body

Well, that's what you're gonna get when you try telling the 5-0 while they go Ramarley Graham on you...just crazy what we put up with in this city just so Emperor Kelly and King Bloomberg stay happy.

Use caution when filming police.. try to keep it a little discreet; they will ALWAYS have the upper hand during an encounter no matter how wrong they are.

As for the "Honorable" King Michael R Bloomberg and his royal cronies, i think you all should know how I feel about them so no need to rant about that again lol

Use caution when filming police.. try to keep it a little discreet; they will ALWAYS have the upper hand during an encounter no matter how wrong they are.

As for the "Honorable" King Michael R Bloomberg and his royal cronies, i think you all should know how I feel about them so no need to rant about that again lol

Why hide it like a bitch? As long as you don't get in the way or cause some disturbance, it's legal to film the police in NYC. The only time you see people get locked up for filming the police is when they bring out their street lawyer degree and they tell the cops what they can and can't do.

As for "stop and frisk", I'm all for it. Than again, I'm one of the last people the cops would ever stop.

As for "stop and frisk", I'm all for it. Than again, I'm one of the last people the cops would ever stop.

Well, therein lies the problem huh? First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist etc. etc.

Well, therein lies the problem huh? First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist etc. etc.

Not really, even if I was stopped I have nothing to hide so I don't really care.

Archived