Ticket cash should flow back into MTA's coffers, says SI assemblywoman

The MTA deserves the money from fines paid by drivers who are ticketed by its bridge and tunnel officers — and the dough should go to increasing bus and subway service, a state legislator says.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority bridge and tunnel officers issued more than 40,000 tickets for traffic violations at MTA crossings in 2010, the agency said. Officers also ticketed nearly 1,000 truck drivers for exceeding cargo-weight limits or for other safety violations.

But the city collects all the revenue from these tickets.

“Money generated by MTA personnel should go back to benefit the MTA,” Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-S.I.) said.

The MTA declined to comment on the potential revenue, which could be several million dollars a year.

Malliotakis is drafting legislation that would redirect fine payments to the authority. She wants the revenues used to restore bus and subway service the MTA slashed in 2010 to help close recurring budget gaps.

The city Finance Department didn’t comment.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ticket-cash-flow-back-mta-coffers-staten-island-assemblywoman-article-1.1093963#ixzz1xYrmGOIP

So you are saying, anyone ticketed on the MTA bridges and tunnels, they funds should go back to the buses and subways. Where's the logic in that? I'm sure the tolls on those bridges don't even cover the costs to maintain the roadways of those bridges anyway.

So you are saying, anyone ticketed on the MTA bridges and tunnels, they funds should go back to the buses and subways. Where's the logic in that? I'm sure the tolls on those bridges don't even cover the costs to maintain the roadways of those bridges anyway.

Are you kidding me?? Let's take the Verrazano for example... The tolls collected there ($13.00 PER vehicle if you pay in cash) more than pay for maintaining the bridge and then some.

You obviously don't drive enough on Marine Parkway bridge, Battery Tunnel, Throngs Neck and Whitestone to know where I'm trying to get at. Those roads are horrible. I only use Verrazano once a month so I can't figure that.

I don't know if Midtown tunnel is part of MTA, but I've heard the roadways there are horrid as well, but that's just an assumption.

You obviously don't drive enough on Marine Parkway bridge, Battery Tunnel, Throngs Neck and Whitestone to know where I'm trying to get at. Those roads are horrible. I only use Verrazano once a month so I can't figure that.

I don't know if Midtown tunnel is part of MTA, but I've heard the roadways there are horrid as well, but that's just an assumption.

Just because the roads are deplorable doesn't mean that there isn't enough revenue from the tolls coming in. In fact it's the complete opposite. As usual monies are being used for everything but the roads. Hell for years the tolls collected at the Verrazano bridge have been used to supplement the LIRR and Long Island Bus when the (MTA) ran that.

They should have never merged the Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority with the MTA, that move was just cuz Governor Rockefeller had a vendetta against Robert Moses and was trying to get rid of him by any means necessary. The toll revenue and any other revenue collected from toll violations and stuff should only go to those bridges and tunnels. We wouldn't have a $13 toll on the Verrazano Bridge if the money went where it was supposed to.

Archived