Oyster Bay Branch Question

BM5 via Woodhaven

I have a question regarding the Oyster Bay Branch. Why is electrification only to East Williston. I know an electric train leaves from East Williston each weekday, but why doesn't it go all the way to Oyster Bay, since all but one train the whole week operates the full line.

It was done that way because at the time, they electrified the main line only to Mineola (the electrification to Huntington only happened around 1970) and they needed a place for the electric trains to go so it wouldnt tie up the main line.

That is most certainly a possibility, I remember reading somewhere about opposition to electrification there. That building in East Willistion station is no longer there. I forget if it was a fire or structural damage, but one of those two did it in.

To be honest, I dont think electrification is needed on that branch, the ridership just isnt there. Outside of peak time, its gotta be on the bottom there with West Hempstead and Greenport, if West Hempstead has the lowest ridership, and Greenport is second, im pretty sure Oyster Bay is third lowest in ridership.

WH obiously is first lowest in ridership. Oyster Bay has a reasonable amount of people. Oyster Bay is 4th lowest, as Belmont Park is first, followed by WH and Greenport. I electrification should be up to Roslyn, and terminate some trains there. Oyster Bay has more trains running the it should IMO.

Archived