MTA revises ticket validity policy for Metro-North and LIRR

mark1447

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is set to extend the validity of one-way and round-trip tickets on the commuter railroads from two weeks to two months. The refund period for those tickets is being extended from one month to two months. Ten-trip tickets will remain valid for six months. The period during which a ten-trip ticket is refundable is being lengthened to match its validity.

A $10 refund processing fee will remain in effect to recoup some of the administrative expenses of issuing and mailing checks.

The MTA anticipates that this change in the validity period will mean an annual loss of about $6 million in revenue to Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road.

“We’re pleased that the cost containment efforts of our commuter railroads, combined with increased ridership, make it possible to broaden our ticket validity and refund policies to further benefit Long Island Rail Road and Metro North customers,” said MTA Chairman Joseph J. Lhota. “This benefit will cost the railroads $6 million, but combined with the expanded service investments announced last week, shows the MTA’s commitment to customer service.”

In December 2010 the MTA abbreviated the validity periods to reduce revenue loss from uncollected tickets and imposed a refund fee of $10 to partially cover the actual cost of processing the refund.

These policies generated numerous complaints from customers and elected officials. In response, the MTA has agreed to increase the validity on one-way and round-trip tickets.

These changes were presented to committees of the MTA board at their July 23 meeting. They take effect Sept. 4.

Source: http://www.thehour.com/blogs/news_hound/mta-revises-ticket-validity-policy-for-metro-north-and-lirr/article_299cfb28-d4d1-11e1-8e24-0019bb30f31a.html

I have no idea but for the occasional rider like myself, I spend enough for transportation as it is that I didn't want to spend more money in MetroNorth tickets and risk losing that money. If anything this will entice me to stock up on tickets, which is good for the (MTA) and probably not so good for me. lol

Didn't it use to be 90 days or something like that a few years ago? At least that's what I remember when I was taking the Metro-North every day in 2008.

Prior to the most recent fare hike and policy change (Dec 2010), the validity for one way and round trip tickets was 6 months and 10 trips were valid for 1 year.

IDK most people use the Round trip/One Way tickets the same day they buy it (i dont see why people complain) im really unsure :unsure:

Because for the occasional rider they may buy a few tickets in advance just in case they decide to use the LIRR or MetroNorth or need to use it unexpectedly. Their intention may be to use all of them but they may not get around to doing so. I've only bought tickets in advance when I was absolutely sure that I would be using them the same week because what can happen is you can simply forget about the tickets and then two weeks rolls around and bam, they've expired. It's just one of those things where things happen and you forget with so many other things going on, but with six months though at least if you don't need them for a while it gives you time to use them in case you come across them unexpectedly.

Because for the occasional rider they may buy a few tickets in advance just in case they decide to use the LIRR or MetroNorth or need to use it unexpectedly. Their intention may be to use all of them but they may not get around to doing so. I've only bought tickets in advance when I was absolutely sure that I would be using them the same week because what can happen is you can simply forget about the tickets and then two weeks rolls around and bam, they've expired. It's just one of things where things happen and you forget with so many other things going on, but with six months though at least if you don't need them for a while it gives you time to use them in case you come across them unexpectedly.

true.. it is a good thing to do especially when your car breaks down or something this also aplies to the MetroCard

It's also because as a railfanner, photography hobbist (and commuter). At times, I purchase a ticket in advanced, however some other fanner decided to take the Bee-Line Bus instead, so I end up with an unused ticket and within two weeks it's done since I never have the chance of reusing it because of schedule constraints. Even though I wished for a full 6 monthes return, 2 monthes is ideal and a comfortable compromise.

Archived