Do I pay $5 for AirTrain if I get off at Lefferts Blvd?

albo23

I'm flying into JFK next week and I friend told me if I take the AirTrain from JFK to Lefferts Blvd, I don't have to pay the $5, but if I pass Lefferts and go to Howard Ave, I do have to pay.

Is this true?

AirTrain is free to enter/exit at Lefferts Blvd. If you want to take the Q10 or B15 bus which stop outside Lefferts Blvd. station, it might be easier to catch either one of those at their first stop located by the Terminal 5 station, especially if you're flying on JetBlue which serves Terminal 5. All MTA buses going into JFK only stop by Terminal 5 (along with the cargo areas and Lefferts for the Q10 and B15), if you're going into another terminal you have to take AirTrain to either Terminal 5 or Lefferts to catch the buses.

there is no free transfers to the airtrain, no matter where you catch the air train, you still have to pay

AirTrain is free between terminals, Federal Circle, and Lefferts Blvd. You pay to enter and exit at Jamaica and Howard Beach only.

AirTrain is free to enter/exit at Lefferts Blvd. If you want to take the Q10 or B15 bus which stop outside Lefferts Blvd. station, it might be easier to catch either one of those at their first stop located by the Terminal 5 station, especially if you're flying on JetBlue which serves Terminal 5. All MTA buses going into JFK only stop by Terminal 5 (along with the cargo areas and Lefferts for the Q10 and B15), if you're going into another terminal you have to take AirTrain to either Terminal 5 or Lefferts to catch the buses.

AirTrain is free between terminals, Federal Circle, and Lefferts Blvd. You pay to enter and exit at Jamaica and Howard Beach only.

Great news! You are certain of this?

Great news! You are certain of this?

100%. I've been at JFK and have ridden the AirTrain many times.

I too can confirm. The only stops where fare payment is required Howard bch and jamaica. A lot of employees get off the airtrain at Lefferts and walk to the north conduit station.

Why do that when you can take the Q10 to Lefferts on the (A)? Unless you're going to the Rockaways of course.

Also it depends where this OP is going and how many bags. If it's more than 2 bags or the 1-2 bags are heavy then that person should just pay the $5 fee. IMO i always felt only the Jamaica extension should be charged and that the Howard Beach/JFK (A) transfer should be free.

Doubtful. People would just abuse that transfer as the MTA usually tells riders to take the (A) to the AirTrain. Now if it was a reduced price because it's a shorter distance like $2-3, then that'd be fair.

@Orion VII, as true as taking the Q10 to Lefferts seems easier, it's usually quicker to walk to North Conduit not to mention I, personally, am not sure it the Q10 stops at the airtrain other than terminal 5.

It only stops at Terminal 5 now, it used to only stop at Terminal 4 until a few months ago and then they moved it. I was in an elevator down to the bus stop with some employees complaining about the move, but I personally like it since I fly JetBlue a lot. Plus, JetBlue has the most passengers of any airline at JFK, so it really makes riding the buses to/from the airport much more convenient for a lot of people.

Archived