Your opinion on shark fin soup

YankeesPwnMets

Through an update, I have eaten shark fin soup before, because of the bland taste, I didn't have any impressions of it.

As for the video and as a responsible human being and a supporter of humane killings, I am now agreeing that restaurants and nations should ban shark fin soup, my father agrees. Imagine the pain these sharks face during their slow death after finning, it's way too cruel, the shark finning industry should be shut down. We are already the worst species on this planet today, and for this industry to continue, we'd be the worst on the history of this planet.

First you say its tasteless, that it "literally taste like nothing". Now you are back tracking and saying it tastes like sh..t, yet many people say it tastes and resembles tuna. Doing a quick search on google confirmed this. Not sure what you are talking about urea and etc showing up in the smell and taste but I havnt found anyone talking about the taste or smell that you just described. As for the mercury, yes Im sure there are certain parts of the sea that the mercury levels in sharks, and other large predatory fish are high but not in all.

All I know is for someone to eat shark fins and then say they believe that fins grow back is just pure bull s... Next thing you will tell me is that they believe fingers and limbs grow back too.

Im sorry but even in third world countries people know better than that. The problem is more likey that the people eating the soup are either in denial or just want to seem naive so they dont feel guilty about eating a product that results in animal abuse.

The real reason these fishermen throw the body back and just keep the fins is because they are so dumb, they only focus on the fins because it brings them more money and the more fins they can hold in their storage the more money they can make. If someone had a bucket and had to choose to fill it with valuable coins and had to break the gold pieces off from the silver, theyd throw the silver away to hold as much gold as they can. Thats the real reason why they are dumping the poor sharks finless bodies in the ocean.

As for your excuse of people not having an education to know that fins dont grow back, I call it more rubbish excuses. If these people have enough money to spend on "fine dining" and this expensive delicasy, im sure they are educated as well. Poor people dont have money to spend on fine dining, they cook almost all of their meals.

Where did you coipy and paste this from? an expat site. provide the link. I would like to read it.

Where did you coipy and paste this from? an expat site. provide the link. I would like to read it.

dude you are so corny. you should just post the word expat over and over now that someone taught it to you since you like to burn it out.

Really dude? It literally tastes like crap? I really truly apologize if you truly know how crap tastes like.

Unlike you the shark fin soup offered to me did not taste like crap. Likewise though, it didn't taste amazing, but it was average upon my taste. Even with the outstanding market price, I better be getting something at least seasoned properly and made right. Probably the last time I'll ever get shark fin soup again, unless I do go back to the mainland/Hong Kong as well.

I've had sharkfin soup here in the local restaurants, mainly in Flushing. Overall it wasn't too bad. I think the soup (as is) is ok without the need to add anything to it, but obviously going back to checkmate's earlier post: if the shark is endangered, then the type of sharks being culled should be put on hold till the population increases again. But if I'm offered this as a meal, I will still eat it rather than to waste a good meal. I do agree about how barbaric it is to de-fin the shark and toss it back in the sea.

I generally have no problems with seafood except lobster (just never really liked the taste and the shell bits sticking to the meat).

Generally speaking the unfortunate fact is that no matter what animal a person eats, there will be some issue with mistreatment of animals attached to it. Whether it be shark, beef, chicken, pork or whatever the case may be. Unfortunately the livestock and seafood industries among other food service industries never completely resolved the issues.

Myself? Well I guess I would rather eat then starve. PETA activists for one could'nt care less about other forms of life other than animals even though alot of people are starving and dying in war torn areas in the world. Because of this prevalent attitude among the tree huggers it makes even other people who are otherwise animal lovers pissed off when we have people tell us what we should or should'nt eat.

Now, as for this idea that people from other countries eat nasty crap, maybe they should look in their own backyards and see where their food actually comes from and how it's processed. I'm not going to judge someone or another country all together just because they eat friggin insects.

Edit: Add to that, SHARK.

Archived