MTA bus security

transit bx

I notice that MTA Bus have private security where as NYCT uses MTA department of security to patrol the property, is it because the contract at each MTA bus depot have not expired yet? I know someone that works for MTA DOS and i was told that MTA is looking to take over the depots, if you have any info on this matter feel free to post your comments.

I've always wondered- are the MTA DOS guys allowed to use any type of force (pepper spray, baton, etc), or are they essentially just rent-a-cops that dial 911 if something happens? I've seen Eagle Team guys with what appear to be handcuff holders, so are they NYS peace officers?

It could be because of existing PBL contracts that haven't expired, it could be the MTA not wanting to use the NYCT security force (DOS is part of NYCT) for Bus Co., I don't know. I'm sure once the RBO consolidation is done DOS will be at the Bus Co. depots, maybe before that. If you've been hearing that they want DOS in the BC depots it wouldn't surprise me, perhaps whatever contracts there were with PBLs are expiring or MTA wants the same security between TA and BC (which I think they'd be better off having compared to the current private security). As far as the Eagle Team's authority, all I know is that they can write tickets.

I notice that MTA Bus have private security where as NYCT uses MTA department of security to patrol the property, is it because the contract at each MTA bus depot have not expired yet? I know someone that works for MTA DOS and i was told that MTA is looking to take over the depots, if you have any info on this matter feel free to post your comments.

It's probably because it's cheaper to use a private company than it ia to hire more PPA's. I use to work for the security company that is contracted for College Point many many years ago and I know for a fact that those gaurds get paid like $10/hr. PPA's get paid $15/hr to start and $25/hr after 3 years. And that's in addition to health care, insurance, and pension. It's for that same reason that MTAB depots don't use CTA's. They have outside vendors handling that as well

Archived