R46 Discussion

RollOver

I was willing to make a thread about the entire R46 fleet.

As we know, that those cars were problematic since day one regardless of the overhaul that took place in around the late 1980s through the early 1990s. Now they continue to have so many issues as proven by the poor breakdown rates in the State of the Subways Report Cards and the MDBF cards as they services the (A)(F)(G)(R) and (V) lines. Oh, and what about the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle?

And now last summer we have gotten word from a train conductor named Dan that Pitkin Avenue Yard's R46s have been failing due to overused service which then leads to more breakdowns on both the (A) and even the (C) due to issues with the R46s themselves (doors, lights, air-condition etc etc). Yes, they have rust underneath their bodies, especially the front ends. However, its been said that Jamaica Yard's R46s are in much better shape and are doing fine (the R46s that run on the (R) along with 3-4 sets on the (F)). The R46s have suffered enough with many issues and I'm worried that they will end up dead once they turn 40 years old by 2015. The Subway's R44 cars also had these many malfunction issues and their frames led to their retirement back in 2010 while the Staten Island Railway's R44s continue to hit right on the nose, running past the average service lifespan like the 222 R32s and 48 R42s.

Please don't lock this thread unless there's flaming and runs off its course. Thanks. Share your thoughts, pictures, and facts about the MDBF and any other sort of issues that the R46s are having now.

I also want to ask the (A) crews of how the manager is running that line because it's not right to just make service out of a car type at any time (some not all). Why is that the (A) is the only line that has so many issues, first the R44s and now the R46s? Why is it that I'm also hearing that it gets more issues with the R46s than the (R)? Both lines have poor MDBFs but the (A)'s is far worse since its a full time line...Doesn't its R46s get regulary maintain and inspected...? I really want answers because I'm just too worried. Bad MDBFs mean poor performances. Poor performances means death time once they get into their 40s starting in 2015. I just can't understand what is the (MTA) doing right now...

Wow... you treat these cars as if they were people.... Sit down, won't you?

The (A) has a number of factors which could make it:

1. Harder to maintain

2. Have any cars that run on the (A) be beaten harder.

First, the (A) is the longest line in the system. Cars rarely make it back to 207th or Pitkin for maintenance as opposed to the (R), which is medium sized (still too long for a local only-line though...).

Second, the (A) has one of the highest riderships in the system. That's a no-brainer....

So, I'm not surprised that those R46's are dying.... They will last until 2020 though. They have to. The (MTA) will find some way to beat those cars until the R211 order.

Wow... you treat these cars as if they were people.... Sit down, won't you?

Oh shut up, these are the things that piss me the hell off. No I am not. I am ASKING WHY do they have so many issues! Do me a favor and don't post in this thread. I really hate members like you. Just because I have said certain things of what I really want to know, people like you would start to assume shit!

Oh shut up, these are the things that piss me the hell off. No I am not. I am ASKING WHY do they have so many issues! Do me a favor and don't post in this thread. I really hate members like you. Just because I have said certain things of what I really want to know, people like you would start to assume shit!

It was a joke.... and I answered your questions, if you bothered to read the rest of the post rather than flaming at the first sentence....

I've already explain why I want to know what's with the issues with the R46s... <_< And I've already have problems with you in the past, I don't need any more from you...You must really think I'm going to take that as a joke? I take that offensive. It's an attempt to post legit reasons and trying to help fix something that's WRONG with it. You and that damn VG8 said the same shit, "ROMH treats the subway cars as people". No I don't! And this is my thread, don't like it? Get out. Moving along...

He did answer your question.

I can kind of relate to what he was saying in the part that you quoted... why are you 'worried' about the cars? Start getting as many rides and photos in as possible, so that, if they were all to crap out tomorrow (and I know they won't!!!) you'd have a nice supply of them. I've witnessed the retiring of quite a few of my favorite transit vehicles but I have lots of photos and memories of them so I am not bothered when I see posts about the fleet dying down. It's alright to be dedicated to this hobby but you don't need to worry about cars that still have about 8 years to go.

Or worry at all, for that matter (unless the car is literally falling apart around you and you have to ride it), because people ultimately take priority over machines.

If Pitkin Yard having problem with R46 . Let R32 replace the R46 cars i wish there were to. As R32 is supposed last to 2017. After R179 come into service . Except Replace R32 when R179 come into service. Let R179 replace R46 Pitkin Yard .I just saying. If R179 go to A , C line . R179 should consider replacing R46 at Pitkin Yard. Not the R32.

If Pitkin Yard having problem with R46 . Let R32 replace the R46 cars i wish there were to. As R32 is supposed last to 2017. After R179 come into service . Except Replace R32 when R179 come into service. Let R179 replace R46 Pitkin Yard .I just saying. If R179 go to A , C line . R179 should consider replacing R46 at Pitkin Yard. Not the R32.

Um... yes?

:unsure: Ohhhhh......k.....next....

Archived