42nd Street Shuttle "Gap Fillers" at Times Square

StevenFrancis

Ok, a couple of weeks ago I almost fell in the gap while trying to catch a shuttle (S) train departing Times Square, I didn't know there were so called "gap fillers" there, if they are gap fillers, why is it a whole 2 inches below the platform edge?? I notice no one ever steps on them, I can see why the shuttle is not accessible for wheelchairs. So what I want to know is why are the gap fillers constructed like that and why can't they be modified, is the MTA just being cheap again??

Yes, those gap fillers are useless and I think you answered your own question about why they are there: to keep people from falling all the way down.

I dunno why they did that instead of the actual gap fillers like with the s/b Union Sq station, but the idea is to rebuild the station. So no, they are not going to make any changes to the current platforms anytime soon.

Yes, those gap fillers are useless and I think you answered your own question about why they are there: to keep people from falling all the way down.

I dunno why they did that instead of the actual gap fillers like with the s/b Union Sq station, but the idea is to rebuild the station. So no, they are not going to make any changes to the current platforms anytime soon.

It just sucks, I dont step on them considering they are old and have been in place for like 60+ years, I feel that they are weak and if you step on them, they will collapse on you.

They should replace those old and cranky gap fillers with metal and polished gap fillers. Gap fillers can fill most of the gap but a very tiny gap is still there. They should also make the station clean, and free from grime and grease (I hate grime, and I don't want to sit on the platform floor).

Archived