Train Dispatching

nostalgia

I have a radio scanner and listen to Metro North, Amtrak, LIRR, and subway operations. I'm out of range of B Division but A division comes in loud and clear.

I have Dougherty's book, 4th edition (2006) and want to know if dispatching information is out of date. The book lists master tower and interlocking towers. However, all Division A communications on the scanner come from the RCC (rail control center) not a specific tower. Are the towers closed or are they open but all the talking comes from RCC?

Metro North and Amtrak dispatchers are divided into territories, sections, or districts.. MetroNorth has districts A.B...G. Amtrak has Sections A and B, and 1 to 8, and some named sections (Midland, Shoreline, Mainline, etc.)

These dispatchers use their names when talking to trains. However, A division just comes on "RCC calling ...."

unless a yard is calling, e.g. Unionport.

How are the dispatching desks set up for A division? Are their assigned territories?

Thank you.

A Div still has Master Towers which are manned with dispatchers (and in some cases, tower operators). The fulltime towers are 240, 239, Utica, Livonia, Mott, Grand Central, Unionport, Westchester, Times Square and 111

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point I think the dispatchers in the field mostly handle terminal operations. With ATS throwing switches, the railroad is generally managed from the RCC.

On the B Division, the local and master towers still play a critical role - less so in the A Division.

A Div still has Master Towers which are manned with dispatchers (and in some cases, tower operators). The fulltime towers are 240, 239, Utica, Livonia, Mott, Grand Central, Unionport, Westchester, Times Square and 111

Interesting. Which towers control what parts of the A div, and how does ATS come into play?

Interesting. Which towers control what parts of the A div, and how does ATS come into play?

No towers Control any part of the A Div when ATS is online when its not just look at Snowblocks answer..

The 7 Line has Times Square, QBM, 111st towers...

ATS=Automatic Train Dispatching...

Queensboro actually has no control of the 7 line, only B-Div territory in the area (including downstairs on Queens Blvd/Crosstown). The only thing QBM can do is give holding lights at the station, and jointly with 111, operate the Flushing-to-Astoria switch.

The A-Div towers themselves (except for on the 7) have no control of A-Div when ATS is online, but the dispatchers in those locations are still controlling ATS via consoles. For the most part, RCC is responsible for mid route trains and locations, while these tower locations oversee terminal operations.

Queensboro actually has no control of the 7 line, only B-Div territory in the area (including downstairs on Queens Blvd/Crosstown). The only thing QBM can do is give holding lights at the station, and jointly with 111, operate the Flushing-to-Astoria switch.

The A-Div towers themselves (except for on the 7) have no control of A-Div when ATS is online, but the dispatchers in those locations are still controlling ATS via consoles. For the most part, RCC is responsible for mid route trains and locations, while these tower locations oversee terminal operations.

Wow thats how long its been since i worked the 7 totally forgot about that part with QBM..

Archived