LIRR conductor short staffed or lazy?

sirtiger

I take the LIRR on & off for decades as a commuter.

I can't help notice back then, the ticket collecter without fail would punch the M/F on my ticket. Then i would say about 3 of the 4 weeks, they would have punch days...physically get your monthly ticket & punch the # on it. Yes I am aware they did this to verify if the ticket is real, etc etc.

In the past few yrs, they pretty much stop doing the weekly punch days. Then in the past 2 yrs, about half my monthly tickets don't even get the M/F hole punched anymore. Honestly, about 1 (sometimes 2) in 5 days of the weekday peak & off peak schedule, they don't even bother coming up & down the aisle to see/punch daily rides.

So i conclude...change in rules? short staffed? lazy staff? Maybe its only on my line? Its no biggie to me but i just notice this slow shift in ticket procedure

As far as the M or F, what if you got a really butch lesbian girl that is riding the train and the conductor accidentally punches M on her ticket? Or on the flipside, if you have someone whos transgender and begins going out as the gender they are on the inside and does it mid-month then you gotta try to explain to the conductor you get the next day why the previous one got it wrong.

As far as the M or F, what if you got a really butch lesbian girl that is riding the train and the conductor accidentally punches M on her ticket? Or on the flipside, if you have someone whos transgender and begins going out as the gender they are on the inside and does it mid-month then you gotta try to explain to the conductor you get the next day why the previous one got it wrong.

funny you mentioned this. i actually always wondered about androgynous people on the LIRR. Then i had random thoughts about he SNL skit of PAT. lol :D

or better yet just not have it on there in the first place.

i believe it was done to minimize people sharing monthly passes which is technically strictly prohibited.

Ok, how about M/F/DADT=don't ask, don't tell.

Although you can clearly see I'm a guy, when I did have an unlimited monthly metrocard for a period of time, and was taking the PW line daily, they almost never stamped the M or F, just the zone (sometimes). There were months when nothing was stamped. I think I still have some of the old metrocards. This was years ago though, and things may have changed.

In my opinion, If Its a Ticket then why does the Male/Female area have to be on the ticket, It shouldn't be there in the first place.

I have once read somewhere that if they do not stamp the M or F Section that means they're unsure <_< hmm

In my opinion, If Its a Ticket then why does the Male/Female area have to be on the ticket, It shouldn't be there in the first place.

I have once read somewhere that if they do not stamp the M or F Section that means they're unsure <_< hmm

i assume its to prevent husband & wife swapping/sharing monthly tickets. I actually got in trouble once for taking the wrong monthly left on the kitchen table. The conducter actually seized my monthly. My wife had to track her down later that day & she got back her ticket after a stern warning.

i assume its to prevent husband & wife swapping/sharing monthly tickets. I actually got in trouble once for taking the wrong monthly left on the kitchen table. The conducter actually seized my monthly. My wife had to track her down later that day & she got back her ticket after a stern warning.

I see and understand such troubles that can occur thanks for clearing that one thing up.

funny you mentioned this. i actually always wondered about androgynous people on the LIRR. Then i had random thoughts about he SNL skit of PAT. lol :D

one day itll happen, and the LIRR is gunna get sued and then that M and F box will be gone off the monthly tickets.

i propose we have a "other" category

or better yet just not have it on there in the first place.

i believe it was done to minimize people sharing monthly passes which is technically strictly prohibited.

Ok, how about M/F/DADT=don't ask, don't tell.

That's what I've always thought it's there for a reason, they probably noticed an increase of husband/wife using the ticket, one to commute tp work, and the other to go into the city when the spouce is not working instead of buying a ticket.

I alwyas thought of the legal implications if they got the M/F wrong or about transgender... I could just see this on the evening news. I thought the M/F punch should be replaced with an M or F option the customer chooses and based on that a M or F is printed on the ticket for the conductor to see... & when in doubt keep your mouth shut. ;) lol

Archived