BM1 Story Today

R62A 1991

Had an orthodontist appointment today, right after work. So, I thought I'd take the BM1 straight there, as the R to the Q to the B100 would've taken a bit longer. So, I wait at Church St/Park Pl, and it comes around the corner, Orion V 708. We get to Pearl St/Peck Slip, and the bus shuts down. He restarts it, it doesn't go. The woman behind me complains about "these crappy buses" they send out to Brooklyn, and a few other ladies agree. I said nothing. He said get off, the next one would come in 10 minutes, and most of the bus went for the O5 BM4 that came. I decided to wait with a young girl who was taking her first ride on an express bus instead of walking all the way back to City Hall for the train. Told her that this isn't the norm for express buses from Spring Creek, it's just a bad day. I knew that the next BM1 came in 30 minutes, so I just waited patiently, seeing BM3 after X15 after QM24 go by with a lot of seats filled. The road ops car comes and services the bus, but it didn't leave before eventually, the 4:10 Downtown only BM1 comes around the corner, and it's an MCI. I was pleased because it was an original from Spring Creek, and after an O5 shuts down on you, who wants to ride another? Anyway, this was my first bus problem with Spring Creek, but since I know that they always take good care of their buses, I'm not upset with them, this stuff happens. Just thought I'd share it with you guys. I would also like those who were complaining on the bus to think in the X32 students shoes. They pay 5 dollars for a regular O5 with no suburban seats when I as a former student paid 2.50 for an all MCI route with a student metrocard 2 years ago. It could've been worse, but I understand that some people like to place blame when things go wrong. And, besides, our first driver was kinda slow. Our 2nd driver sped down the Prospect Expwy.

I'm not so sure those "ladies" were complaining about the bus breakin down, as they were about getting O5's day in & day out (as opposed to most the other exp. routes that get the MCI's no matter what)... ppl. take note of things like that & store it in the back of their minds... and when unfortunate occurrences like this happen, it's the first thing to shoot out of ppl's mouths... "these crappy buses", "god damn MTA", this that and the third.....

luckily, I've never boarded an express bus that broke down... it's a different dynamic than when it happens to a local... you feel like the next bus is "right around the corner", so to speak... for express buses, you feel like you're f**ked b/c service isn't as infrequent... and god help you if the last run of the night breaks down....

but yeh, you definitely made the right choice in taking the BM1 over that bothersome R-Q-B100 commute...

who says the X32 does not have coach type seats?

There were pictures on Subchat and stories where the X32 has (one time or another) gotten local buses with hard seats. They don't ALWAYS get them, but for them to get them and pay 5 bucks, to me, isn't good.

Archived