Got TLC?

Broad St. Belle

Tonight I took a subway into Brooklyn and got off to the usual cabbies waiting for a quick fare. I get into a cab and the next thing we're getting rolled up on by police because the cab I got into didn't have his TLC plates. The driver tried to lie and say that I was his girlfriend. They told me if you're his girlfriend why weren't you sitting in the front. We were both about to get arrested until I told the cops I do not know this guy. I told them I'm not his girlfriend. I'm just a fare. All I wanted was a ride home. The cops told me get out the car and go home. How messed up was that? :)

Tonight I took a subway into Brooklyn and got off to the usual cabbies waiting for a quick fare. I get into a cab and the next thing we're getting rolled up on by police because the cab I got into didn't have his TLC plates. The driver tried to lie and say that I was his girlfriend. They told me if you're his girlfriend why weren't you sitting in the front. We were both about to get arrested until I told the cops I do not know this guy. I told them I'm not his girlfriend. I'm just a fare. All I wanted was a ride home. The cops told me get out the car and go home. How messed up was that? :)

Yeah you have to be careful of that in Brooklyn. Mostly near downtown and off Myrtle & Flatbush Avs.

Poor thing! That's is so f***ed up beyond believe. A similar incident happen to me when I was rolling with my friends in Colt Neck NJ when the 5/0 pulled us over. One of my friends paniced because he had bud in his jacket. The cops took the driver and gave him a sobriety test because he was swerving. We passed and we left no problem but I could imagine if they found that jacket.

OMG....that's really messed up. You got to be a lil more careful with these cabbies out here. I'm glad you are alright and made it home safely.

You always have to be prepared to tell the authorities, "I am just a paying passenger, I did not know this man was not licensed", in case the car is pulled over. It's an inconvenience but it happens. Your best bet is to just take a quick look at the plates and see if they are T&LC.

Yeah you have to be careful of that in Brooklyn. Mostly near downtown and off Myrtle & Flatbush Avs.

Yeah, it almost happened to me on Crescent Ave. some years ago, but luckily I got a ride froma friend instead.

Poor thing! That's is so f***ed up beyond believe. A similar incident happen to me when I was rolling with my friends in Colt Neck NJ when the 5/0 pulled us over. One of my friends paniced because he had bud in his jacket. The cops took the driver and gave him a sobriety test because he was swerving. We passed and we left no problem but I could imagine if they found that jacket.

Yeah, see, I've taken him before and we're pretty cool, but once the cop said "so if you're his friend and you know him so well, if I find anything illegal in the car, I'm taking him AND you in". That's when I said oh no, wait a minute, we're not that cool..lol. Cause you just never know....

OMG....that's really messed up. You got to be a lil more careful with these cabbies out here. I'm glad you are alright and made it home safely.

Oh yeah; lesson learned for sure. I think I'll start taking the bus home more often;)

You always have to be prepared to tell the authorities, "I am just a paying passenger, I did not know this man was not licensed", in case the car is pulled over. It's an inconvenience but it happens. Your best bet is to just take a quick look at the plates and see if they are T&LC.

It's just that when it's 11:00pm and you're tired and just want to go home, you're not really paying attention to that. I always just jump in the first car of the fleet. Now I'll definitely be more alert, I never wanna go through that again :)

But there is an upside to the story :) After the cops let me go (I sound like a rebel B)) I took the bus. I remembered seeing the ads stating that after 10:00pm you can ask the driver to make a stop (that isn't a bust stop) as long as it's in route. So I happen to live in the middle of a block along the B11 and I had to try it out just to see if the driver would give me attitude; but he didn't. So even though I didn't take a cab, I still got door to door service :):). That was pretty cool...

My reply didn't post? Weird.

Similar thing happened to me at 67th st and lexington. After i hopped out some cops who were behind the cab when i got out questioned me and asked me if i paid the fare, i said no because he was going to circle around and get me, he said don't bother it's a bogus cab. I had taken it from herald square and was just getting something from an office and going back (was helping street canvassing folks). I ended up getting a new metrocard and taking the subway back.

- Andy

Archived