R160B Question, regarding Propulsions

MattTrain

The R160A (8316-8712)running on the (J)(L)(M)(N) and (Z) all have Alstom-Onix Propulsion.

The R160B (8713-8842) on (N)(Q) and (W) have Alstom Onix Propulsion, while the R160B (8843-8972) and (8973-9022,...) on (N)(Q)(W) have Siemens Propulsion.

R160A built by Alstom have the same Propulsion, while the R160B built by Kawasaki have two different Propulsions. Does anyone have any clue as to why the R160B have two different Propulsions built into the R160B cars?

No...but ever since they first tested the R143 Siemens Propulsion set (8205-8212, which has since reverted back to Adtranz), I guess they wanted to use it. But that's just a completely wild guess.

Adtranz, Propulsion, oh wow so thats the sound R143's make when they accelerate and decelerate on the (L) and former (M). Do you think that the R160B having two Propulsion sounds was based on disagreements on what propulsion to use, or maybe a compromise... I'll say this is a wild guess too.

Adtranz, Propulsion, oh wow so thats the sound R143's make when they accelerate and decelerate on the (L) and former (M). Do you think that the R160B having two Propulsion sounds was based on disagreements on what propulsion to use, or maybe a compromise... I'll say this is a wild guess too.

Please, the ONYX is still ringing in my head and it isn't AdTranz it's Bombardier Traction 1400, the same one used on the R142A, MARTA Subway cars (Atlanta), WAMTA's 5000 Series (Washington D.C.) and the R200/205 (My fictional subway train!!!)

The R160A (8313-8712)running on the (J)(L)(M)(N) and (Z) all have Alstom-Onix Propulsion.

The R160B (8713-8842) on (N)(Q) and (W) have Alstom Onix Propulsion, while the R160B (8843-9032) on (N)(Q)(W) have Siemens Propulsion.

R160A built by Alstom have the same Propulsion, while the R160B built by Kawasaki have two different Propulsions. Does anyone have any clue as to why the R160B have two different Propulsions built into the R160B cars?

(corrections in red)

I don't really know, but it could just be testing new types of propulsion...? Maybe they want to see if the propulsion packages are faster or more efficient.

O/T, I never got why R142s use Alstom ONIX, and R142As use Bombardier propulsion, if the R142s were built by Bombardier...

Please, the ONYX is still ringing in my head and it isn't AdTranz it's Bombardier Traction 1400, the same one used on the R142A, MARTA Subway cars (Atlanta), WAMTA's 5000 Series (Washington D.C.) and the R200/205 (My fictional subway train!!!)

You must be really annoyed by the Alstom Onix Propulsion sounds by the (N) and (W) and recently (Q)'s R160B cars... If you don't like the Alstom Onix sounds then take a Siemens R160B on (N)(Q)(W), 8848 and higher. or use the R143 on (L)

(corrections in red)

I don't really know, but it could just be testing new types of propulsion...? Maybe they want to see if the propulsion packages are faster or more efficient.

O/T, I never got why R142s use Alstom ONIX, and R142As use Bombardier propulsion, if the R142s were built by Bombardier...

Yeah, I'm thinking about that too... but either way, most people, don't really mind about it.

You must be really annoyed by the Alstom Onix Propulsion sounds by the (N) and (W) and recently (Q)'s R160B cars... If you don't like the Alstom Onix sounds then take a Siemens R160B on (N)(Q)(W), 8848 and higher. or use the R143 on (L)

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm thinking about that too... but either way, most people, don't really mind about it.

4 ordinary ppl it doesnt matter, wen it comes 2 sum foamers... just the slightest sound change wud alarm them. B)

We have something in common... our fictional subway trains are both called R200...

(corrections in red)

Well, the Alstom packages seem to be the slower when compared to both the Bombardier and Siemens packages, from what I've read on this forum. And I don't understand that either... maybe different divisions for traction motors and car bodies? Or they didn't want an entirely Bombardier car?

We have something in common... our fictional subway trains are both called R200...

oh... how do they look like?

They have the front end of the Chicago L's 1947 5000 Series, the sides pay homage to Chicago L's 2600 with two doors but the car is 60 Feet Long and run in Married Pairs, And they are NTT.

Archived