Are subway rats running amok?

Trainspotter

i recorded a rat on th eplatform sniffing for the food in my pocket,i tried recording him,but he always hided in the tracks,AND i remember on the tracks on the G line,he was near the 3rd rail,and then the train came in,poor rat,he must have got electrucuted very badly

I see them on (underground) tracks almost 2 out of 3 times I ride.

As a former owner of 2 domesticated rats (ones that are safe to have as pets) i gotta say i dont find them that horrible. I've seen mice down there too in the track area and 2 of them were in nyp in the amtrak/njt waiting area. If one looks nasty & gets too close i will nudge it into the track pit, however i do have a great fondness for all living things, so it would be lovingly gentle as to not cause it harm and keep it from sickos who'd kill it on site (yes i've seen people do it). I do think at the same time the rat problem we started with our trade ships needs to be fixed before the next plague decides to pop its ugly head out.

- Andy

I saw one on the West 4th St northbound (E)(C) platform a few weeks ago. What was funny was that many saw him and didn't bat an eye. I wouldn't nudge it though. If you are able to do that, then it's likely too sick to want to be near. (Although I hear rabies is quite rare in rodentia)

Like most, I would prefer they not be there, but it's almost just as much out of pity for them as any fear. Unlike people, they are always homeless, and despite their environment, do attempt to clean themselves quite often. They aren't squatting in my place so I just smile and hope they see the train coming. B)

Archived