Train cars derail in Spuyten Duyvil

Via Garibaldi 8

They still likely have a speed restriction through the area until they can do some more permanent work over the coming weeks/months.

MONTHS?!? <_< How much track was affected by the derailment??? I saw the set up from the Broadway Bridge while I was on the express bus not that long ago and it didn't look that bad.

MONTHS?!? <_< How much track was affected by the derailment??? I saw the set up from the Broadway Bridge while I was on the express bus not that long ago and it didn't look that bad.

Unfortunately, installing new track is a lot more complex than laying down the ties, rails,and ballast, running a train over it, and declaring it open.  Tracks often take a while to completely settle and be permanently fixed in place (and even then they are not exactly set in stone).  Metro-North will be keeping a close eye on this segment of track for a while to be sure that something like this doesn't happen again.

It is very likely a speed restriction of some sort will remain in place until an official investigation is complete, if it turns out that speed was an issue in the derailment, they may have to reexamine the allowable speed limits through the area. 

MN might also be holding out for the Sperry car to come around and get a once-over on the new track before lifting the speed restriction for good...and the Sperry car is only on the railroad property at certain times of the year

Yes, very interesting. Some people on here, including you, were quite a big fan of MNRR when it comes to *trains*. Seems that is changing now... :P

Well I'm still going to use MetroNorth.  I mean it still beats the subway by a mile in terms of convenience, cleanliness and speed, but service has been spotty since the derailment.  <_<

Archived