Train cars derail in Spuyten Duyvil

Via Garibaldi 8

MetroNorth should be giving refunds. 

Why?  If my car breaks down I don't get to stop making my monthly payments why it's in the shop getting fixed.

Calling the credit card company for a refund on monthly commutations wouldn't do any good.  Metro North has that legal disclaimer that they can not assume responsibility for delays and time tables are subject to change without notice.

Shouldn't Amtrak honor Metro-North tickets and make a stop at Yonkers?

No, Amtrak has very limited capacity and for Amtrak to give away seats for free to passengers riding one or two stops instead of people willing to pay the fare to go all the way to Hudson, Albany, or points north/west doesn't seem like a good idea.

And if you give free rides to some, you have to give free rides to all—and Amtrak can't handle all 19,000 Hudson Line peak-hour commuters.

MetroNorth should be giving refunds.

Why should Metro-North give refunds for something beyond their control? Stuff happens, it's part of the implied risk you convent to when you buy your ticket. Metro-North schedules are subject to change without notice and they are not responsible for delays or changes/shortages in equipment.

Why?  If my car breaks down I don't get to stop making my monthly payments why it's in the shop getting fixed.

Calling the credit card company for a refund on monthly commutations wouldn't do any good.  Metro North has that legal disclaimer that they can not assume responsibility for delays and time tables are subject to change without notice.

Why not? If there was a disruption in someone's cable service, they would be credited for the time that they were without service.  We're not talking about your car.  We're talking about paying for a service.  The two things are not the same so anyone that has a monthly pass should be getting a prorated refund if they paid with a credit card OR have their passes extended.  Now if someone bought a ticket that's different.  The ticket can be used at another time.  

The monthly pass is a different story.

Why should Metro-North give refunds for something beyond their control? Stuff happens, it's part of the implied risk you convent to when you buy your ticket. Metro-North schedules are subject to change without notice and they are not responsible for delays or changes/shortages in equipment.

Implied risk my @**.  It's just a lame excuse to allow them to steal from their customers.  I wish a politician would step up to the plate and challenge this BS policy.

Metro North has also implemented a contingency plan so your cable outage senario isn't a fair comparison either.  While the contingency plan may be inconvenient to some, it's better than leaving everyone on their own.

I will say that some of the passengers said Friday was not as bad as they anticipated it would be.

And before you say that the contingency plan doesn't include those in the Bronx, the tickets are transferable to the Harlem Line stations.

Metro North has also implemented a contingency plan so your cable outage senario isn't a fair comparison either.  While the contingency plan may be inconvenient to some, it's better than leaving everyone on their own.

I will say that some of the passengers said Friday was not as bad as they anticipated it would be.

Yeah I for one think that contingency plan is not a good one.  Pushing people to an already crowded and long commute on the (1) is not worth get one's monies worth when you're paying for a monthly MetroNorth pass, not to mention that if you live in Riverdale, you're basically stuck making 3 transfers just to get to Grand Central. In my case the most I've ever bought is a 10 pack since I buy a weekly Express Bus Plus pass, but I'm annoyed because I was planning on using MetroNorth next week since I have early meetings next week and have to wake up dirt early.  Nevertheless that's a good $33.00+ staying in my pocket as I will stick with the express bus and use the money for Whole Foods or something.  :D

And before you say that the contingency plan doesn't include those in the Bronx, the tickets are transferable to the Harlem Line stations.

Riverdale is not part of the Bronx, don't you know? :D lol

Maybe they should be shuttling people to the Harlem line?

I would definitely think of that as a better option for Metro-North customers than forcing them onto the (1) train. MTA Going Your Way as usual...

Implied risk my @**.  It's just a lame excuse to allow them to steal from their customers.  I wish a politician would step up to the plate and challenge this BS policy.

I doubt Metro-North concocted a plan in cahoots with CSX to derail a train and disrupt train service so they can steal from their customers.  If Metro-North decided one day to say "Hey, screw all of you, we're not going to run any trains today" then I could maybe see a basis for getting credit on a commutation pass. 

You monthly pass is valid for unlimited rides within one calendar month.  It does not say it is valid for two rides, one in each direction, on each commuting day, no more and no less.  You already get your monthly commutation ticket at a substantial discount.  Ride into the city one Saturday to make up for it if you feel you're being cheated.

And hey, if you don't like the implied risk you can always not purchase a monthly and just get one-way tickets each time you go on the train...that way you know that the train is going to show up and you won't  get cheated.  But that will ll cost you a lot more money.

It says it in plain English on the bottom of all of the public timetables: Metro-North Railroad cannot assume responsibility for inconvenience, expense or damage resulting from errors in timetables, delayed trains, failure to make connections, or for changes in or shortage of equipment. The schedules in this timetable are subject to change without notice.

Like I said, stuff happens.

Maybe they should be shuttling people to the Harlem line?

I believe there was some sort of shuttle from the Harlem to the Hudson Lines at some point Friday night, however the Harlem Line also has limited capacity and shuttling every (or even most) Hudson Line riders over to the Harlem Line would likely cause bad crowding issues.

Metro-North did make arrangements with LAZ parking to honor all Hudson Line station parking permits at Harlem Line stations with lots operated by LAZ, so options for travel on the Harlem Line were made available.

Well they should be encouraging them to other use other alternatives besides the Harlem line and the (1) line.  The (1) line really can't handle all of those riders when that line is already at capacity.

or they can use Bee-line W7 to my Vernon west for the Harlem line. The (1) is the most direct option to Manhattan.

Some people could just use the BxM4...

last I checked that bus is closed-door meaning no drop offs in the Bronx southbound genius. Or even better beeline W4 to the (4) train that is actually frequent try again.

MetroNorth should be giving refunds.  Paying this amount of money to schlep on the subway is a joke.  These people need Grand Central not Times Square, not to mention how many transfers they have to make.  If I had a monthly pass I would certainly be calling my credit card company to request some sort of refund.  From Riverdale, they had the Hudson Rail Link buses taking people to the (1) train. Wow wee... People can just take the Bx7 or Bx10 for that.  

Lol

Some people could just use the BxM4...

To or from Selkirk and Queens. This is the route that train would take from Queens is probably something like this: NY&A Montauk Secondary, Glendale Yard, Fremont Secondary, Hell Gate Bridge, Oak Point Yard, Oak Point Link, MNRR Hudson Line, CSX Hudson Subdivision, CSX Schodack Subidvision, CSX Castleton Subdivision (over the Alfred H. Smith Memorial Bridge) to the Selkirk Yard (and reverse to go back to Queens).

From Selkirk, the train would be added to a southbound train that heads down the River Subdivision on its way through Shared Assets tracks and onward to Philadelphia (probably using some of the tracks that the Raritan Valley Line uses).

What will be really fun tonight though is that many people probably did not expect this to be a snag in their plans to travel to Yankee Stadium where there is a concert tonight and tomorrow (Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake). Many fans would probably have been relying on Hudson Line trains and now could be overburdening Harlem Line trains (the MTA says service will not be restored before the Monday morning rush hour). I also wonder if the MTA is planning on beefing up Bx6 and Bx13 bus service during this time (they both travel to and from Yankee Stadium---using articulated buses on both lines for at least Saturday.

In these rare moments only when shit hit the fan should trains stop at Melrose this is one of those few times that they should beef up service and make express trains make 1 extra stop at Melrose along with beefed up bx6 service to pick up the slack. Other than that and when no events happen at Yankee stadium Melrose should only be served by reverse peak trains and that's it no offpeak or weekend trains should even bother stopping there unless there is a problem on the Hudson line or major events at Yankee stadium.

This is commonly called the Selkirk hurdle. That was also supposed to be a role for the Port of NY Authority (now the PANYNJ) to fulfill---a cross-harbor rail tunnel. The car float is very sparsely used...averaging only about 5 cars a day (arithmetic mean). Yet that is the only way to get to points west of New York City without going up to Selkirk (before the 1970s, there was a rail bridge in Poughkeepsie, but it suffered a mysterious fire around 1974 or so and was never reopened as a rail bridge---it's a park today).

I wonder what political force is leading to the disuse of the car float...

I doubt Metro-North concocted a plan in cahoots with CSX to derail a train and disrupt train service so they can steal from their customers.  If Metro-North decided one day to say "Hey, screw all of you, we're not going to run any trains today" then I could maybe see a basis for getting credit on a commutation pass. 

You monthly pass is valid for unlimited rides within one calendar month.  It does not say it is valid for two rides, one in each direction, on each commuting day, no more and no less.  You already get your monthly commutation ticket at a substantial discount.  Ride into the city one Saturday to make up for it if you feel you're being cheated.

And hey, if you don't like the implied risk you can always not purchase a monthly and just get one-way tickets each time you go on the train...that way you know that the train is going to show up and you won't  get cheated.  But that will ll cost you a lot more money.

It says it in plain English on the bottom of all of the public timetables: Metro-North Railroad cannot assume responsibility for inconvenience, expense or damage resulting from errors in timetables, delayed trains, failure to make connections, or for changes in or shortage of equipment. The schedules in this timetable are subject to change without notice.

Like I said, stuff happens.

Uh excuse me but I don't know why you're telling me all of this because i don't buy a monthly pass and I stated that earlier.  I specifically said that I buy either 10 packs or single tickets because I usually use the express bus and buy an Unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocard.  That still doesn't change my opinion on the subject.  The equivalent of the MetroNorth service into Grand Central for someone like myself living in Riverdale would be taking the express bus.  They should be providing service that is on par with a premium fare and having to make 2-3 transfers via the subway is certainly not a premium fare or a premium service.  People using a monthly pass should be receiving like service via the Harlem line or the express bus, otherwise they should be getting a pro-rated refund.  That disclamer is a nice way for them to not provide the type of service that customers are paying for and from my experience, the only ones that disagree with me on this are transit workers or transit fans on this site.  The average customer like myself agrees that it is total BS.

or they can use Bee-line W7 to my Vernon west for the Harlem line. The (1) is the most direct option to Manhattan.

last I checked that bus is closed-door meaning no drop offs in the Bronx southbound genius. Or even better beeline W4 to the (4) train that is actually frequent try again.

Last I checked people coming from Manhattan to Yankees Stadium can use the BxM4 at the 161st and Grand Concourse stop which is a drop-off stop genius.  Try again.  

Second the (1) is not the most direct option in Manhattan for someone that needs GRAND CENTRAL.

.....and from my experience, the only ones that disagree with me on this are transit workers or transit fans on this site.  The average customer like myself agrees that it is total BS.

Second the (1) is not the most direct option in Manhattan for someone that needs GRAND CENTRAL.

You know what?  You are 100% correct.  You are voicing your frustrations to people that don't have the power to run the service the way you want.  While nothing would be changed for this particular event, I strongly recommend to attend an MTA board meeting and tell those that are responsible for implementing the emergency plans how it should be done. 

Better yet, President Permut is due to retire some time over the next few years so put in your resume now so you could have the opportunity to run the railroad and everything can be done the way you want.

Riverdale is not part of the Bronx, don't you know? :D lol

I would definitely think of that as a better option for Metro-North customers than forcing them onto the (1) train. MTA Going Your Way as usual...

They are already honoring Hudson line tickets on the Harlem line as well as providing parking spots. And there are some shuttles running to some point on the Harlem line where people can take a bus to the Hudson line.

You know what?  You are 100% correct.  You are voicing your frustrations to people that don't have the power to run the service the way you want.  While nothing would be changed for this particular event, I strongly recommend to attend an MTA board meeting and tell those that are responsible for implementing the emergency plans how it should be done. 

Better yet, President Permut is due to retire some time over the next few years so put in your resume now so you could have the opportunity to run the railroad and everything can be done the way you want.

lol... I don't know whether to laugh or put up one of these...  <_<  Who knows... I may become a Transit Advocate down the line.  Not too sure about anything else (MTA) involved.  I had a chance to work with them and experience the "issues" firsthand...   <_<

Yes the BxM4 can be compared to MNRR service to Yankee Stadium in a sense. If it had a drop-off and pick up at 125 like it used to, then fine, that's web better. It can also be utilized to Woodlawn, yes , and Williams bridge.

As for the other stations, well the BxM11 is a viable alternative (some stations)

If the Hudson lines out, go to the BxM1 and there you go. While I do agree that its inconvinient, you have to also know these things happen out of nowhere, and they're gonna do what they can. Sure they probably didn't make it as convinient, but they can learn from this.

(I think MNRR should've cross-hindered with the BxM1/2/18 at least, IMO, and the one as well.

Metro-North expects to operate normal morning Hudson Line service for the Monday morning rush using one of the two tracks through the area. It looks like they will be single tracking for only roughly a mile (from CP 10 to CP 11) which isn't that bad all things considering. (they got pretty lucky--if the derailment had happened on the other track they would really been on the wrong side of things with the way CP 10 and CP 11 are set up!)

They expect it to take about a week for track 2 to be repaired and returned to service.

Metro-North expects to operate normal morning Hudson Line service for the Monday morning rush using one of the two tracks through the area. It looks like they will be single tracking for only roughly a mile (from CP 10 to CP 11) which isn't that bad all things considering. (they got pretty lucky--if the derailment had happened on the other track they would really been on the wrong side of things with the way CP 10 and CP 11 are set up!)

They expect it to take about a week for track 2 to be repaired and returned to service.

Knowing MetroNorth, I think they'll get it done sooner.  The folks in Westchester and Riverdale would scream too much otherwise.

No, let's trust lirr42. He seems to know everything around here so I trust him more :)

Now, now, I don't know everything, not by a long shot.  I was simply stating what it said in the MTA press release.  They said it would take the remainder of the week to restore track 2, so that's what I put down.

Now, now, I don't know everything, not by a long shot.  I was simply stating what it said in the MTA press release.  They said it would take the remainder of the week to restore track 2, so that's what I put down.

Now I finally give you my trust et all instead of a hard time like in that other topic and then you still react like this...

Now I finally give you my trust et all instead of a hard time like in that other topic and then you still react like this...

It is hard to interpret the intent of somebody's wording, so I apologize if I misinterpreted the meaning of your earlier post or if mine came off in the wrong way.  I was merely just trying to re-state where that statement originated, from the MTA's press release and not from my personal knowledge or experience.

There has been worse derailments that were cleared faster with the whole track replaced.

Archived