Train cars derail in Spuyten Duyvil

Via Garibaldi 8

post-5097-0-63771100-1374238148_thumb.jpg
It's a tough commute for riders on Metro North's Hudson Line this morning, and it is likely to lead to some crowded 1 train service. The Hudson line is not running south of Yonkers after a derailment between the Spuyten Duyvil and Marble Hill stations last night. Hudson Rail Link buses are making their usual pick ups in Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil, but are leaving people at the 1 train station at Van Cortlandt Park. A special bus is also taking people from Yonkers to the subway, so expect some packed trains.The train hauling garbage derailed around 8:45 p.m. Thursday, and 10 of the train's 24 cars jumped the track.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-63771100-1374238148_thumb.jpg

Was just about to post that, lol. This is mta.info:

http://new.mta.info/status/MetroNorth/Hudson/22903324

Hudson Line Customers
Hudson line train service is suspended due to a freight derailment in the vicinity of Spuyten Duyvil.  Bus service is being arranged between Marble Hill and Riverdale with train shuttle service at either end. 

News coverage shows a CSX engine, showing what looks like those green segmented garbage cars that run from Maspeth.

Oh man, MNRR is so bad. Seriously, how do you put up with this.

(yes yes, it's sarcasm, don't take it too seriously; it's just a little pun 'cause this is how people react when something happens at LIRR)

Btw Via, why didn't you post this in http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/41457-official-mnrlirr-unplanned-service-disruption-thread/

?

I'll be on the lookout on who sent out buses to this shuttle bus. As far as I know, West Farms and Gun Hill sent out buses. Also, I heard an RTS pass by my area around 3:00 A.M. so who knows.

They're sending buses from all over.  I saw a few MCIs from CP up in Yonkers and some new CF's as well for the local bus shuttles to Van Cortlandt Park-242nd street station.  I just think it's foolish to push all of those people to the subway though.

They're sending buses from all over.  I saw a few MCIs from CP up in Yonkers and some new CF's as well for the local bus shuttles to Van Cortlandt Park-242nd street station.  I just think it's foolish to push all of those people to the subway though.

The farther they "push all of those people" the more shuttle buses you need.  

The farther they "push all of those people" the more shuttle buses you need.  

Well they should be encouraging them to other use other alternatives besides the Harlem line and the (1) line.  The (1) line really can't handle all of those riders when that line is already at capacity.

I didn't realize MNRR had non-MTA trains sharing their trackage. I wonder where the garbage train was headed--usually it goes south to Pennsylvania to deposit our garbage

Yeah Amtrak uses them also in Riverdale and then it takes the draw bridge down near the Spuyten Duyvil station.

I didn't realize MNRR had non-MTA trains sharing their trackage. I wonder where the garbage train was headed--usually it goes south to Pennsylvania to deposit our garbage

That may be true, but remember that in order for a train to cross the Hudson by rail (not barge), it has to go up to Selkirk (about 10 miles south of Albany) and back down.

I was surprised with the buses that showed up. Orion V CNG #9871 was on the shuttle. LaGuardia was on the shuttle as well as Kingsbridge, Gun Hill, West Farms, College Point, Michael J.Quill, Jamaica, Queens Village, Jackie Gleason, Grand Avenue, and Fresh Pond. RTS, Next Gens, D4500CL's, D4500CT's. D60HF, XD60, LFSA's and so on.

To or from Selkirk and Queens. This is the route that train would take from Queens is probably something like this: NY&A Montauk Secondary, Glendale Yard, Fremont Secondary, Hell Gate Bridge, Oak Point Yard, Oak Point Link, MNRR Hudson Line, CSX Hudson Subdivision, CSX Schodack Subidvision, CSX Castleton Subdivision (over the Alfred H. Smith Memorial Bridge) to the Selkirk Yard (and reverse to go back to Queens).

From Selkirk, the train would be added to a southbound train that heads down the River Subdivision on its way through Shared Assets tracks and onward to Philadelphia (probably using some of the tracks that the Raritan Valley Line uses).

What will be really fun tonight though is that many people probably did not expect this to be a snag in their plans to travel to Yankee Stadium where there is a concert tonight and tomorrow (Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake). Many fans would probably have been relying on Hudson Line trains and now could be overburdening Harlem Line trains (the MTA says service will not be restored before the Monday morning rush hour). I also wonder if the MTA is planning on beefing up Bx6 and Bx13 bus service during this time (they both travel to and from Yankee Stadium---using articulated buses on both lines for at least Saturday.

To or from Selkirk and Queens. This is the route that train would take from Queens is probably something like this: NY&A Montauk Secondary, Glendale Yard, Fremont Secondary, Hell Gate Bridge, Oak Point Yard, Oak Point Link, MNRR Hudson Line, CSX Hudson Subdivision, CSX Schodack Subidvision, CSX Castleton Subdivision (over the Alfred H. Smith Memorial Bridge) to the Selkirk Yard (and reverse to go back to Queens).

From Selkirk, the train would be added to a southbound train that heads down the River Subdivision on its way through Shared Assets tracks and onward to Philadelphia (probably using some of the tracks that the Raritan Valley Line uses).

What will be really fun tonight though is that many people probably did not expect this to be a snag in their plans to travel to Yankee Stadium where there is a concert tonight and tomorrow (Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake). Many fans would probably have been relying on Hudson Line trains and now could be overburdening Harlem Line trains (the MTA says service will not be restored before the Monday morning rush hour). I also wonder if the MTA is planning on beefing up Bx6 and Bx13 bus service during this time (they both travel to and from Yankee Stadium---using articulated buses on both lines for at least Saturday.

Some people could just use the BxM4...

Very interesting--I didn't realize the trains had to take such a circuitous route to get down to pennsylvania. Now I understand why there has been a bigger push to use the barge crossings from Brooklyn to Jersey for some garbage and recyclables. 

Well they should be encouraging them to other use other alternatives besides the Harlem line and the (1) line.  The (1) line really can't handle all of those riders when that line is already at capacity.

Actually, the ridership was pretty dull on the (1) train. So much that the shuttle buses had to wait quite a long time before they can leave.

Very interesting--I didn't realize the trains had to take such a circuitous route to get down to pennsylvania. Now I understand why there has been a bigger push to use the barge crossings from Brooklyn to Jersey for some garbage and recyclables. 

This is commonly called the Selkirk hurdle. That was also supposed to be a role for the Port of NY Authority (now the PANYNJ) to fulfill---a cross-harbor rail tunnel. The car float is very sparsely used...averaging only about 5 cars a day (arithmetic mean). Yet that is the only way to get to points west of New York City without going up to Selkirk (before the 1970s, there was a rail bridge in Poughkeepsie, but it suffered a mysterious fire around 1974 or so and was never reopened as a rail bridge---it's a park today).

Actually, the ridership was pretty dull on the (1) train. So much that the shuttle buses had to wait quite a long time before they can leave.

Really? I thought they left such that they met the (half-hourly peak, hourly off peak) trains at Yonkers...

That's not what I heard.  I heard the trains were packed.  Even if they didn't leave that crowded, they would've been packed as they made their way further down the line.

That's not what I heard.  I heard the trains were packed.  Even if they didn't leave that crowded, they would've been packed as they made their way further down the line.

I was there and there weren't that many passengers on the (1) for the shuttle. One thing is hearing and another is being there. Sure, the packed trains didn't came in until rush hour, but in general there weren't that many passengers.

I was there and there weren't that many passengers on the (1) for the shuttle. One thing is hearing and another is being there. Sure, the packed trains didn't came in until rush hour, but in general there weren't that many passengers.

Well of course off-peak is light.  That's no shocker, but rush hour trains were packed.  I've used the (1) train during rush hour and MetroNorth during rush hour. The (1) always gets good use. MetroNorth can be light during off-peak, but combine both of them during the rush and that is complete chaos.  From 242nd it's not bad but once you start hitting 231st and the other stops further down it becomes SRO and by the time you're by 137th it's packed.  I don't know how those folks made it down to 96th street and beyond because I've been sardine can (1) trains and it is not fun.

Shouldn't Amtrak honor Metro-North tickets and make a stop at Yonkers?

Many of the Amtrak Empire trains were sold out this evening and most Amtrak trains stop at Yonkers, and IMO, no, Amtrak should not cross honor Metro North tickets, if Metro North riders wanna take Amtrak during this disruption then let them pay Amtrak fares.

Many of the Amtrak Empire trains were sold out this evening and most Amtrak trains stop at Yonkers, and IMO, no, Amtrak should not cross honor Metro North tickets, if Metro North riders wanna take Amtrak during this disruption then let them pay Amtrak fares.

MetroNorth should be giving refunds.  Paying this amount of money to schlep on the subway is a joke.  These people need Grand Central not Times Square, not to mention how many transfers they have to make.  If I had a monthly pass I would certainly be calling my credit card company to request some sort of refund.  From Riverdale, they had the Hudson Rail Link buses taking people to the (1) train. Wow wee... People can just take the Bx7 or Bx10 for that.  <_<

Archived