Train cars derail in Spuyten Duyvil

Via Garibaldi 8

There has been worse derailments that were cleared faster with the whole track replaced.

The only thing with this derailment is that the damage to the track is in close quarters and with only two tracks through the area it would be difficult for the workers to continue making repairs to the tracks without fouling the one track that trains are traveling over several times per hour.  I wouldn't be all that surprised if crews were restricted to doing the majority of their work overnight when there are no train moments through the area.

Personally, I think they could probably have track 2 back up and running in time for the Thursday morning rush, I just believe it will take slightly longer this time to get everything back up and running because of the cramped location of this incident.

Note how little wiggle room there for crews at this location:

9336455049_a8a91eeae1_c.jpg

The only thing with this derailment is that the damage to the track is in close quarters and with only two tracks through the area it would be difficult for the workers to continue making repairs to the tracks without fouling the one track that trains are traveling over several times per hour.  I wouldn't be all that surprised if crews were restricted to doing the majority of their work overnight when there are no train moments through the area.

Personally, I think they could probably have track 2 back up and running in time for the Thursday morning rush, I just believe it will take slightly longer this time to get everything back up and running because of the cramped location of this incident.

9336455049_a8a91eeae1_c.jpg

It's not called Spuyten Duyvil for nothing.  :D

Knowing MetroNorth, I think they'll get it done sooner.  The folks in Westchester and Riverdale would scream too much otherwise.

It's not up to anyone else in Westchester, Riverdale or anyone else how long it takes, screaming or not.  There is only so much that can be done, so quick given the conditions.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if crews were restricted to doing the majority of their work overnight when there are no train moments through the area.

This is the exact reason why there is overnight bus until the repairs are made.  Given the inaccessibility of the area, most (if not all) of the equipment has to be taken to the location with hi rail trucks.  In order to do this the usable track will have to be out of service.

It's not up to anyone else in Westchester, Riverdale or anyone else how long it takes, screaming or not.  There is only so much that can be done, so quick given the conditions.

This is the exact reason why there is overnight bus until the repairs are made.  Given the inaccessibility of the area, most (if not all) of the equipment has to be taken to the location with hi rail trucks.  In order to do this the usable track will have to be out of service.

True that, also I would expect a slow order for at least a week after it opens .

True that, also I would expect a slow order for at least a week after it opens .

Let's not sit here and kid ourselves here... MetroNorth maybe a separate entity but certain neighborhoods get favoritism whether you want to admit it or not.  I sit here and look at some subway stations that were supposed to be renovated a while ago and they still are there with scaffolding.  Meanwhile other stations have been renovated in nicer neighborhoods and will be probably be renovated again before the stations in poorer areas are taken care of.

..... but certain neighborhoods get favoritism whether you want to admit it or not....

Ah yes, I admit it.  Just look at the increased service to some of these neighborhoods that started in April.  It's great for them that the service is there.  Now all we need is some passengers going to or from these stations on these additional trains so some of the other passengers can stop asking me "why do we stop here"?

Favoritism or not, isn't going to change the amount of time it takes to make the repairs.  Unless of course you would rather see everything shut down for a few more days so repairs can be made around the clock.

Ah yes, I admit it.  Just look at the increased service to some of these neighborhoods that started in April.  It's great for them that the service is there.  Now all we need is some passengers going to or from these stations on these additional trains so some of the other passengers can stop asking me "why do we stop here"?

Favoritism or not, isn't going to change the amount of time it takes to make the repairs.  Unless of course you would rather see everything shut down for a few more days so repairs can be made around the clock.

Oh I don't doubt that.  My point is that they won't BS and take their sweet time like they do with other neighborhoods.

Oh I don't doubt that.  My point is that they won't BS and take their sweet time like they do with other neighborhoods.

Newsflash!  They are not going to take their time regardless!  Single tracking that area won't cut it for the amount of trains that have to be moved through there during peak hours.

The current condition doesn't only effect your precious communities.  It effects every community from midtown to Poughkeepsie.

Newsflash!  They are not going to take their time regardless!  Single tracking that area won't cut it for the amount of trains that have to be moved through there during peak hours.

The current condition doesn't only effect your precious communities.  It effects every community from midtown to Poughkeepsie.

I was actually thinking of the subways and less so MetroNorth.  In any event Riverdale and the Westchester communities need it more.  The Bronx and Harlem have the subway as options.

Buses replace trains again this weekend, except they're going to Woodlawn instead of 242nd.

Which makes MUCH more sense... They should shuttle them directly to the MetroNorth station in Woodlawn though OR give them the option of the (4) in Woodlawn and the MetroNorth Woodlawn station this way if they're concerned about overcrowding they can balance that out.  

Which makes MUCH more sense... They should shuttle them directly to the MetroNorth station in Woodlawn though OR give them the option of the (4) in Woodlawn and the MetroNorth Woodlawn station this way if they're concerned about overcrowding they can balance that out.  

They only went to the (4)...

But if it makes you feel any better, there were a ton of MCIs out and far less transit buses (all artics too with 2-3 40 footers).

They only went to the (4)...

But if it makes you feel any better, there were a ton of MCIs out and far less transit buses (all artics too with 2-3 40 footers).

Well they should have MCIs for those customers... It is MetroNorth... I don't know why they just don't shuttle them to the Harlem line if there aren't that many riders...  I'll see how the express buses are when I head out later.

And how many can you store on one MCI? And how many people need help climbing the stairs? I didn't they were not accessible, I said not *very* accessible compared to MNRR as in "not as accessible as MNRR".

You can get two wheelchairs on an express bus and I've seen it a few times on our Riverdale express buses.  As for people getting on, the bus kneels just like a regular bus right to the curb.  Plenty of elderly people use the express bus and do just fine and if they can't get on then they use the handicap lift.

And how many can you store on one MCI? And how many people need help climbing the stairs? I didn't they were not accessible, I said not *very* accessible compared to MNRR as in "not as accessible as MNRR".

I mean, a MNRR car carries a hell lot more than an MCI, so the number of wheelchairs it can fit isn't a fair comparison. "Wheelchairs per capita" is a better measure :P

So when are they going to get everything back to normal? Trains are getting later.  This morning my train was a good 15 minutes late and the they didn't get tickets until we got to 125th street. I was about to say good, they're not collecting tickets, seeing how late the train was and then this chick came (very young looking and thin).  It was off peak too so I don't know what took so long to collect tickets, but we made a bunch of stops.  The usual one at Highbridge and then another one before 125th street to pick up some workers.  

Archived