NYSDOT Proposed Funding:NICE to Get Big Funds for Preventive Maint, 70 Transit Buses & 75 Para Buses

Burrstone

New York State Department of Transportation

Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) on draft program for region 10. 

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/stip/draftstip/repository/R10-proposed.pdf

Nassau Inter County Express:

Big funds for preventive maintenance!

DXrg2t1.jpg

70 new 40 foot CNG transit buses starting in 2014!

0bGaLzp.jpg

46 new para transit buses in 2014!

fmIoYVw.jpg

29 additional para transit buses in 2015, 2016, & 2017!

UlJdKDI.jpg

Please shut up. This LIB squad crap and the tension in this section between you and other members downvoting and complaining has to stop.

Wow. So I get called a member of the Veolia Squad a couple of times, I report it and nothing gets done about it but whenever I mention LIB squad I get critized so strongly... <_<

Also, I only downvote when a post is violating rules as of late (Harry's post made me aware of the downvoting rules).

Once again, the whiney pinheads predicting NICE wouldn't do *more* maintenance this year were wrong.

I feel bad for calling certain people 'whiney pinheads'. That was offensive and I shouldn't have posted that post. I'm truly sorry about that :(

IMHO New Flyer is one of the best bus builder but for rural usage, like in Nassau, I dunno how that's gonna fare. I think NovaBus is better for rural usage (and of course Orion but RIP).

I wouldn't exactly call Nassau rural, not NYC, some places more sleepy or wooded than others but def not rural.  Nassau IMHO is bigger than many cities around the Country that are more spread out than tall...  Anyone who's had the opportunity to visit exotic locations like Des Moines. IA or Lincoln, NE knows what I'm talking about lol (that wasn't a laugh out loud, that was more of a giggle tp myself as I thought about those places).

New Flyer would be the best choice. As for the fans of the V's, get your rides on while you can. Most of the Greens will probably be retired next year, maybe even alot of the Oranges too. To tell you the truth I dont think the V's got another summer in them, saw 1610 died on the n16 outside of RF today, most of them cant do more than 40mph with the a/c on, or they take a 30 seconds to reach 30mph with the Granny Gear on the oranges.

New Flyer would be the best choice. As for the fans of the V's, get your rides on while you can. Most of the Greens will probably be retired next year, maybe even alot of the Oranges too. To tell you the truth I dont think the V's got another summer in them, saw 1610 died on the n16 outside of RF today, most of them cant do more than 40mph with the a/c on, or they take a 30 seconds to reach 30mph with the Granny Gear on the oranges.

The oranges still got like another 3 years. but yes the greens will proabaly won't make it to 2015.

My money is still on New Flyer, as NICE said they were in conversations with them.

New Flyer got NABI now, and the NABI LFW costs far less than the Xcelsior and LFR so that's likely what they will bid.

I honestly like the LFW, I always felt the new Gen III design was kinda an Xcelsior ripoff but hey, NFI owns them now so I don't give a damn and it actually doesn't look so bad. Decent bus, sounds pretty damn good with the ISL/ISLG-B400R combo thanks to the Meritor axles, I would look forward to seeing it in Nassau. Just glad they're done making that 416 crap we have to put up with in NJ, not like Nassau would order them anyway.

The NABI LFW? No thanks. Well, that's to say: I don't like the design so I wouldn't want to see that running around in Nassau. They should choose the Xcelsior over the LFW.

(the only thing I really like by NABI is their BRT, that one looks amazing!)

• 1 month later...
Nassau Able-Ride Paratransit Fleet To Be Upgraded; Funded with Federal Transportation Grants and Veolia Contributions

Published on October 24, 2013 

by Christopher Boyle

(Long Island, NY) Nassau County and Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE Bus) announced today that they will soon begin taking delivery on 28 new handicap-accessible paratransit vans that will replace Able-Ride’s oldest vehicles.

The new wheelchair accessible modified Dodge vans will offer Able-Ride greater flexibility in how it serves customers, reduce fuel and maintenance costs, and provide a more comfortable ride for passengers, according to Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano.

image004.png

“We are pleased to update the Able-Ride fleet and we’re doing it in a way that will improve the experience for NICE’s paratransit customers,” he said. “Along with the 45 new fixed route buses added to the NICE fleet recently, we are continuing to update the equipment without placing the cost on taxpayers. We are especially pleased that Veolia Transportation is making investments in the system.”

The cost of the 28-vehicle purchase is approximately $1.2 million. Of that, the entire cost of 18 vehicles, approximately $780,000, is being paid for by Veolia at no cost to Nassau County taxpayers. Another 10 vehicles - costing approximately $435,000 - are being funded through state-administered Federal Transportation Administration grants earmarked for capital purchases for mass transit.

The first of the vans are expected to be delivered in late October 2013, said NICE Chief Executive Officer Mike Setzer.

“NICE is continuously looking for ways to improve our service and reduce our costs. Using a mix of vehicles for Able-Ride is something we have considered for a long time and Veolia’s investment is helping make that possible,” he said. “We think passenger vans, as opposed to the larger truck chassis mini-buses, will serve customers’ needs better in many instances with a noticeably smoother ride.”

Rather than replace the older vehicles with the current “mini-bus” style vehicles that now comprise most of the 95-vehicle Abe-Ride fleet, NICE will begin using a mix of vehicles that they say will help provide better service and reduce costs. As opposed to the current vehicles, the vans will use regular gasoline and offer improved gas mileage; are able to travel on parkways giving passengers and operators faster and/or shorter options; and are built on a more comfortable car chassis, versus a truck chassis, which has a rougher ride.

The new vans can handle two customers in wheelchairs and two seated customers. While their overall capacity is smaller than the current mini-buses, officials say that it is sufficient to meet actual demand. The vehicles being replaced are all seven years old.

How will they get better mileage with normal gasoline rather than diesel?  I understand that, with smaller engines, diesel offers great MPG, but the larger the motor gets, the worse the mileage...

You kind of answered your own question...  It's more of the type and weigh of the of the vehicle than the type of fuel.

I'm surprised about Dodge vans, i wasn't expecting that but it makes sense giving better fuel economy and the ability to use the parkways, in a vehicle that meets the current demands...

Archived