Emergency Services

40MntVrn

When another portion of services fails or if there is some construction work that interrupts service and shuttle buses are required, how are operators selected to cover that service? I imagined it was apart of some kind of mandatory overtime program...but I feel like that is way off base.

Its not mandatory ,you can either put in for OT work or they will post it at the window where you report for work that's how I do my OT for example on Tue I did a  run on my day off  630am to 200pm 2 trips on M15 then I saw a open piece on SBS 1 trip from 3 to 530 pm then saw a piece on M60  2 trips 630 to 11pm plus 1 hour on fuel line for a grand total of 17.5 hrs for a total of 26 pay hours :) 

Its not mandatory ,you can either put in for OT work or they will post it at the window where you report for work that's how I do my OT for example on Tue I did a  run on my day off  630am to 200pm 2 trips on M15 then I saw a open piece on SBS 1 trip from 3 to 530 pm then saw a piece on M60  2 trips 630 to 11pm plus 1 hour on fuel line for a grand total of 17.5 hrs for a total of 26 pay hours :)

Jesus... Eating up those hours...

Sounds good PR.

Getting back to the OP I'm sure the MTA and its respective depots are never short on B/O's who would gladly pick up an extra piece of work, thus defeating the theory of "mandatory overtime", LOL.

Not necessarily... Depends on the depot... If a run isn't filled that could be because they couldn't get anyone to fill it. 

Its not mandatory ,you can either put in for OT work or they will post it at the window where you report for work that's how I do my OT for example on Tue I did a run on my day off 630am to 200pm 2 trips on M15 then I saw a open piece on SBS 1 trip from 3 to 530 pm then saw a piece on M60 2 trips 630 to 11pm plus 1 hour on fuel line for a grand total of 17.5 hrs for a total of 26 pay hours :)

Lmao, that last lil number is a beautiful thing! I gotta work out that system for seeing my family, wouldn't mind seeing some of their crazy asses just a little less and still getting credit for the trip...

Not necessarily... Depends on the depot... If a run isn't filled that could be because they couldn't get anyone to fill it. 

If all else I'd think that's more of an issue with smaller depots with a smaller workforce. Yonkers for instance, or Eastchester just to name two.

If all else I'd think that's more of an issue with smaller depots with a smaller workforce. Yonkers for instance, or Eastchester just to name two.

Actually it's quite the opposite.  I can only recall once or twice having a bus go MIA and that may have been just me not wanting to wait any longer since I have so many transportation options. lol  The problem is much more common on Staten Island where it's more difficult to fill runs.  With the Yonkers buses, the B/Os switch off from one line to another, so you can have a B/O do a trip on the BxM4, then turn into a BxM3 and then a BxM2 for the last trip.  A few times a B/O has been sick and I've called the depot to see if they were sending another bus and they usually have someone on standby.  

Dare I say it but I think some of it is political too.  The folks in the Bronx would go crazy if multiple buses were MIA.  In Riverdale, there was a lady that takes a late BxM2 who I ride with sometimes and apparently the last bus she was waiting for one night was MIA and boy was she pissed.  I'm sure she wrote in.  Let's just put it this way.  The people in Riverdale and also in most parts of the Bronx are very anal about their bus service (local or express, but esp. express) .  Co-Op City and Throggs Neck come to mind as two communities that were very vocal about poor bus service getting their elected officials involved who got on the (MTA) immediately.

On Staten Island, I can recall having MIA buses on numerous occasions on various lines.  Out of all of the boroughs the B/Os find the commute there to be the biggest PITA from my experience and when the weather is bad out there forget it.  They call out like crazy.  Meanwhile during the last few snow storms, I've had very reliable express bus service to Riverdale.

Archived