MTA Issues 20-Year Capital Needs Assessment

lirr42

In a massive 148-page PDF report, the MTA gave a broad overview of the agency's upcoming capital needs for the next two decades.  I have only gone through the LIRR section so far, but there are a lot of notable things mentioned in both the LIRR and MNCR sections of the report.

I'm going to pirate Railroad.net user inthebag's overview list of projects that the LIRR plans on spending its share of the $105 billion pricetag.  I gave a brief description/analysis of most of the points included in the LIRR section of the report in a post on my site.  Below is a general list of the plans the MTA has on tap for the LIRR:

Reconfiguration of the Jamaica Complex
-Multi-phased design and construction of modernized track level infrastructure will streamline operations by eliminating conflicting routings and allow for train operation at higher speeds, through the utilization of higher speed switches. Work on this project also includes modernizing the aging signal system in Jamaica, and replacing signal components which are at the end of their useful life.
-Universal 12 car platforms for all tracks at Jamaica station.

Rolling Stock
-Diesel scoot cars would be a separate new type of car. They would not replace the revenue diesel engines and coaches, but merely supplement them.
-Diesel revenue and non-revenue engines and coaches would be replaced with new ones.

Electrification
-Expand electrification on the Port Jefferson, Main line, and Montauk branches to 16 stations in Suffolk County. These electrification efforts are anticipated to be undertaken in conjunction with double tracking and construction of new electric train storage yards, as a phased effort over multiple capital plans, and will likely continue beyond this 20-year planning horizon. (no specifics on which stations would receive electrification)

Additional Yard Storage
-Two new electric storage yards in Suffolk County on the Port Jefferson and Montauk branches in addition to the electrified Yaphank yard. (no specifics regarding size or location)

Stations
-Complete renovation of Babylon station

Track
-Concrete tie installation is planned on the busy Main Line west of Ronkonkoma, as well as portions of the Atlantic, Montauk, Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay and Port Washington Branches.
-Other track initiatives will address State of good repair needs at selected locations, including yard track throughout the LIRR network and direct fixation track on the Wreck Lead Bridge in Long Beach.
-Second track from KO to Yaphank
-Six LIRR-owned overgrade highway bridges, most of which date from the 19th century, are planned for replacement as well. (no specifics provided)

Communication
-The signal system will also be upgraded and modernized to continue the safe operation of trains. Despite ongoing signal modernization efforts, the railroad has the oldest cab signaling system in the country. The proposed replacement of these systems with modern, state-of-the-art equipment is critical to maintain prior investments and support the new rolling stock fleet.
-Another major initiative in the signal category is the implementation of centralized train control (CTC), which will migrate train control from towers in outlying locations into the Jamaica Central Control.
-The federally mandated installation of positive train control for railroad safety requires PTC investments to continue in the 2015-2019 plan. Investments during the time frame of this capital needs assessment include signalization efforts, wayside, rolling stock and other components for PTC.

Any thoughts?

There's also this new hub station:

A key element of the economic development and regional mobility aspects of the Long Island Strategic Improvements is the construction of a Republic Hub station. This new hub station along with added Main Line track capacity will provide LIRR access to the Route 110 Corridor, linking with planned BRT initiatives by local governments to improve transit access, spur economic growth, and encourage more intermodal transit trips. Investments in Main Line track capacity will improve access from New York City / Nassau County to MacArthur Airport, which will help to relieve overburdened airports in Queens, improving regional mobility and quality of life. The construction of two new electric yards in Suffolk County over this 20-year period is also a key requirement in the LIRR’s ability to expand service. The increase in rail service made possible by these infrastructure investments is expected to support transit oriented development, not only in economic activity centers like the Republic Hub, but also in downtowns across Long Island. 

Up until today I hadn't heard about a new station.

There's also this new hub station:

Up until today I hadn't heard about a new station.

I'm still confused as to why Stewart was picked as the future new international airport for New York, and not MacArthur...

At least one has easy rail access.

As for the electrification, at the very least the full Port Jeff line should be electrified - there are a lot of SBU students who have to change trains at Huntington on weekend trips home, and there isn't exactly adequate platform space.

@bobtehpanda: For starters, the first issue is after Kings Park the line starts to twist and turn quite a bit. The sharp curves make it really hard and costly all while not giving any benefit to electric trains, except for more one-seat rides to Penn. Plus they need a lot of substations due to the track layout and probably double-track it.

The second issue is capacity. The C3's have more seats so M7.M9's will result in less seats. But that's not as severe as the first issue.

So- Electric service to 16 new stations.

The first two are obviously Medford and Yaphank. That brings us down to 14.

Next is likely the Port Jefferson. 7 stations, brings us down to 7.

Also likely is the Montauk out to Patchogue, 6 stations, brings us down to 1.

What would the last station be? Riverhead? Perhaps a reopened station somewhere in the newly electrified area? Holtsville, Bayport or Blue Point make the most sense to me if such would be the case.  

So- Electric service to 16 new stations.

The first two are obviously Medford and Yaphank. That brings us down to 14.

Next is likely the Port Jefferson. 7 stations, brings us down to 7.

Also likely is the Montauk out to Patchogue, 6 stations, brings us down to 1.

What would the last station be? Riverhead? Perhaps a reopened station somewhere in the newly electrified area? Holtsville, Bayport or Blue Point make the most sense to me if such would be the case.  

I think Port Jefferson, Riverhead, and Patchouge are all appropriate and reasonable end points for electrification. 

If anything should be reopened in the newly electrified area (assuming they are gonna take the costly PJ route), then I'd vote to re-extend the PJ line to Wading River since there's more development in the area now (just like along the Greenport branch). I'd reopen at least Mount Sinai, Shoreham and Wading River.

That also re-opens the possibility to extend it to Riverhead in the future, just like the original plan was. Now that there's more development in both the Wading River and Riverhead areas and the fact that people want better intra-island travel, I'd say that would be a good idea somewhere in the near future.

@bobtehpanda: For starters, the first issue is after Kings Park the line starts to twist and turn quite a bit. The sharp curves make it really hard and costly all while not giving any benefit to electric trains, except for more one-seat rides to Penn. Plus they need a lot of substations due to the track layout and probably double-track it.

The second issue is capacity. The C3's have more seats so M7.M9's will result in less seats. But that's not as severe as the first issue.

The C3s have more seats, but keep in mind that the eastern end of the Port Jeff only sees trains every two hours when its demand is the highest (Friday afternoon heading to the city).

Seriously, SBU students fill up the entire train at Stony Brook, and then you've got a ridiculously crowded train platform at Huntington waiting for the transfer.

In addition, it's not really an issue, since the bilevels they use are much shorter, and everyone ends up transferring at Huntington anyways.

Archived