Newark action! (56k warning)

metsfan

Was at newark for a while this past thursday aug 21. Got some good amtrak stuff! I will upload the one vid i kept (no sound by accident) later on!

Sorry if they are weird looking, i think i had the camera set at 6400 iso because the sun was so bright, and you cant tell the difference on the camera's LCD. :)

P8210301.jpg

P8210299.jpg

P8210298.jpg

P8210292.jpg

P8210287.jpg

P8210286.jpg

P8210285.jpg

P8210284.jpg

P8210283.jpg

P8210280.jpg

P8210279.jpg

P8210278.jpg

P8210277.jpg

P8210276.jpg

P8210275.jpg

P8210273.jpg

P8210272.jpg

P8210269.jpg

P8210263.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

- Andy

Nice work, Andy. I saw your call to fan earlier in the week but I had adult responsibilities so there was no way I could make it down to join you. :) I like Newark Penn for railfanning.

LOL @ "College View"; what's that, the drinkin' car? :D

Nice work, Andy. I saw your call to fan earlier in the week but I had adult responsibilities so there was no way I could make it down to join you. :) I like Newark Penn for railfanning.

LOL @ "College View"; what's that, the drinkin' car? :D

Thanks for the comments guys. :D

Maybe it was put on a specific run to a college or something for returning students. The gulf view maybe first had service between florida and texas?

Ya, i'm going again next week on thursday the 28th to (in order) newark, exchange place/jersey city, bayonne, hoboken, times square area, south ferry station, then back home via PATH to newark. If anyone wants to join me in some photo ops at newark, hoboken, times square or south ferry PM me and i'll see what times i'll be which places, because i'm going to my wifey's place to see her parents (its my birthday trip) for a bit, then off to hoboken for a bit, then PATH to 33rd st then (E) to times square to see a movie, then to south ferry to document the station for posterity then home via PATH to newark! Bring a "i'm allowed to take photos here" attitude & your camera!

- Andy

Thanks! If i wasn't in a sinus cold induced stupor i would have had some really sweet videos and the ISO would have been lower than 6400!

- Andy

Yeah, I always try to make sure everything is straight and the settings are where they're suppose to be.

Yeah, I always try to make sure everything is straight and the settings are where they're suppose to be.

When i got home i was devastated by the awesome shots & catches ruined by not checking the settings like i normally do. I had to delete like 40 photos and 20 videos. :( Sometimes when i get a cold etc, ESPECIALLY sinus stuff i lose focus memory and physical coordination. I was actually afraid i'd stumble into the track pit so i decided to get breakfast instead of keep shooting.

- Andy

About the View cars, all cars with VIEW at the end of the name are Viewliner Sleepers, also that dining car looks like a Heritage, nice catch! That train looks like the Silver Meteor to Florida, too...

I call them viewsleepers for that very reason! :(

Yes, it was. Caught the same train a while back with HHP8 pulling & one additional coach car.

The diner was a hugely surprising catch for me. I very rarely see those on the NEC. Usually its a converted budd amcan with windows on only about half the car & exhaust for the stove, similar to the lounge car but with the diner car modifications.

- Andy

The Heritage Diners I thought were all but gone, also I thought all Lounge cars were gone too, I usually only see the Amfleet Dinettes they made... Dinettes were not conversions IIRC. Also I thought the only Amfleet Diners if they had any were on the Lakeshore Limited, wait, I think that's a dinette also... Also I thought the last Heritage Fleets around were Baggage cars :(

The Heritage Diners I thought were all but gone, also I thought all Lounge cars were gone too, I usually only see the Amfleet Dinettes they made... Dinettes were not conversions IIRC. Also I thought the only Amfleet Diners if they had any were on the Lakeshore Limited, wait, I think that's a dinette also... Also I thought the last Heritage Fleets around were Baggage cars :(

I have seen the heritage cars at sunnyside, there are at least 5 of them left as of april/may. The silver service is incredibly popular, which is i think why some of the more rare cars are put in those consists to give people more options on that long trip.

- Andy

I didn't know the Silver Meteor was THAT popular, makes me think of the Auto Train (except the Silver Meteor changes engines at Washington for a pair of P42DC, and has no autoracks or Superliners XD)

Yea, every time i see it it's about 3/4 full and that's at trenton, newark, or if it's stopped for a signal in between. I've also seen 80% of a main concourse crowd at nyp move to the boarding gates several times. It is a really cheap and relaxing alternative for people who are going between nyc and the points farther south.

- Andy

Archived