Black teen sues Barney's claiming racism

Via Garibaldi 8

I didn't say anything about skin color.  What I said was we're all free to dress and present ourselves as we please, but at the same time people are going to have preconceived notions about us based on how we present ourselves, whether or not we agree with them and whether or not we like how we're treated as a result, but it comes with the territory. So yeah, this guy will sue, but it won't stop these sorts of incidents from happening.

So people having preconcieved notions over a profile of the next person is excusable? I don't think we both would exactly see things that way, that's silly. I would imagine there are many occurances where a person of color was randomly questioned by cops because of an anonymous call from a resident in these affluent neighborhoods, simply because of the notion that they don't belong there.

I had a professor who is Chinese who taught me in the first semester of college. She discussed in class her experience where she was racially profiled when she walked into one of these stores on the UES (nor Barney's) and was shunned upon by the salespersons there because she was with a professional black woman. See where I am going with this.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So people having preconcieved notions over a profile of the next person is excusable? I don't think we both would exactly see things that way, that's silly. I would imagine there are many occurances where a person of color was randomly questioned by cops because of an anonymous call from a resident in these affluent neighborhoods, simply because of the notion that they don't belong there.

I had a professor who is Chinese who taught me in the first semester of college. She discussed in class her experience where she was racially profiled when she walked into one of these stores on the UES (nor Barney's) and was shunned upon by the salespersons there because she was with a professional black woman. See where I am going with this.

My point is that this is not about what's right or what's wrong.  This is about the consequences of the actions that we decide to take.  If for example, you decide to wear certain clothing or colors that you know are affiliated with gangs and you're jumped, that's a consequence of your actions.  That doesn't mean that it's right for you to be jumped but that's what happens and all of the law suits in the world aren't going to change that.  Maybe people will try to hide those preconceived notions, but that doesn't mean that they won't have them or at least won't be thinking certain things.

My point is that this is not about what's right or what's wrong.  This is about the consequences of the actions that we decide to take.  If for example, you decide to wear certain clothing or colors that you know are affiliated with gangs and you're jumped, that's a consequence of your actions.  That doesn't mean that it's right for you to be jumped but that's what happens and all of the law suits in the world aren't going to change that.  Maybe people will try to hide those preconceived notions, but that doesn't mean that they won't have them or at least be thinking certain things.

Thank you. I see clearly where you are coming from. Your point is that racial profiling exists (which everyone can see) and that whether it's right or wrong is not a core issue here.

And was'nt I alluding to the fact that many professional black Americans are also profiled? Apparently you seemed to miss that point completely.

Thank you. I see clearly where you are coming from. Your point is that racial profiling exists (which everyone can see) and that whether it's right or wrong is not a core issue here.

And was'nt I alluding to the fact that many professional black Americans are also profiled? Apparently you seemed to miss that point completely.

Well of course.... Some jurors were talking about this today as we were waiting to enter the court.  I stayed out of it because I've discussed this at length already with a few folks, but our society is all about perceptions and how we want people to view us OR NOT view us, and sometimes we make conscious decisions and subconscious decisions on how that goes.  

Archived