Black teen sues Barney's claiming racism

Via Garibaldi 8

From what I gather the staff at the store were attempting to deter him from making a purchase, and/or trying to get out a "confession". Either could be interpreted as profiling at the very least, though the consensus seems to be in agreement that this was a racially motivated situation. The fact that PD was called after the purchase supports this theory greatly.

On question though, if Christian had made the purchase already on which grounds did PD stop him on? What charges could be applied? Right none. Absolutely none!

Well, Mr. Christian has it made for the next few years, courtesy of Barneys New York and the NYPD, all because some baseless profiling. Let this serve as a future lesson for storekeepers and workers with an agenda.

Fat chance... This goes on daily in these stores, though usually not with the heat turned up this high, but part of the mystique with those stores is "exclusivity" and so the snobbiness will continue for sure.  It's not just minorities that are treated this way either.  Whites are too.  An ex-coworker of mine who was in her 20's at the time went into a high end store to look around and was interested in a purse.  A clerk came over and made some snide remark when she inquired about purchasing a handbag and basically told her that she couldn't afford it anyway. lol

What's funny about most of these clerks is most of them make peanuts.  There was a guy that worked in Saks that I would see regularly when I would shop there and I saw him on the ferry a few times (this was before I started taking the express bus so probably around 23 or so).  He lived in St. George.  Even the nicest part of St. George really aren't anything to write home about.  He was never snobby though, but it just goes to illustrate my point.  Only the ones that are high up usually earn nicely.   One clerk for example had a place on the Upper East Side but that isn't the norm for most of them, but it's all about the image.  They have to appear to be dazzled to the 9's working in a high-end place like Barneys or Saks, etc.

Me personally, I actually prefer shopping in high-end boutiques that cater to men.  They're just as pricey and you usually get far less attitude since they're smaller.

Just a quick 2 cents. It appears that the NYPD has some sort of undercover squad assigned to the "upscale" stores investigating fraud. I've heard of NYPD posting people in banks during a rash of robberies but I've never heard of them staking out something like Barneys. Are they scoping out Bloomingdale's and the like? Don't these private businesses have their own security ? At first glance this tactic, if true, seems to be a waste of NYC taxpayer's money and personnel.

I was wondering the same thing. I know people who reported stolen credit cards, and the thieves were able to still make purchases in stores without getting stopped by any cops. 

Also, maybe the story was incorrect, but I remember work study jobs as paying directly for my college tuition, I never saw a cent of that money in my own pocket!

This must be a new thing because I've never seen this before in Barneys and I've shopped there for years.  Then again I've never been asked for ID either, though for some purchases over a certain amount they may ask now.  That happened to me at Bloomingdales.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is many of these stores/brands such as this or Ralph Lauren for example were made for specific people. It kills them (white folks) inside when they see miniorites coming into their stores and buying their attire.

Another thing, to buy a $350 belt thou? Looking back into highschool many of my friends had that hood mentality. "You a bumass ni**a" unless you had a $300+ Hermes belt, $200+ Jordans, $200+ True Religion jeans, $100+ Burberry shirt. The list goes on. Walking through Broadway Junction during rush hour is a perfect example of what can be seen of this hood mentality. Wonder what B35 has to say on this.

Truth is many of these stores/brands such as this or Ralph Lauren for example were made for specific people. It kills them (white folks) inside when they see miniorites coming into their stores and buying their attire.

Another thing, to buy a $350 belt thou? Looking back into highschool many of my friends had that hood mentality. "You a bumass ni**a" unless you had a $300+ Hermes belt, $200+ Jordans, $200+ True Religion jeans, $100+ Burberry shirt. The list goes on. Walking through Broadway Junction during rush hour is a perfect example of what can be seen of this hood mentality. Wonder what B35 has to say on this.

Wait a minute... Since when did True Religion jeans become clothing that hoods wear? I'm surprised by that because I wear those jeans and the True Religion store I shop at in New Jersey is pretty upscale. I didn't know they made really baggy pants.  I always get straight legs and those are far from baggy. lol

Wait a minute... Since when did True Religion jeans become clothing that hoods wear? I'm surprised by that because I wear those jeans and the True Religion store I shop at in New Jersey is pretty upscale. I didn't know they made really baggy pants. I always get straight legs and those are far from baggy. lol

lol I've been seeing them wear it around 2010 or so. I usually see them wear the closets to baggy, straight or bootcut.

I would hope that you and everyone else reading knows that any private security serving as Asset Protection, Loss Prevention, etc. under definition are very limited in what they can legally do. Perusing someone, detaining someone by force, directly entering contact with someone, leaving the building are just some forbidden offenses that are more common than you think.

If their AP actually detained him he'd still have a valid case against them.

This.

I work at Gap Outlet, and we are told not to pursue or engauge shoplifters. Just told to let them go and call the authorities.

Not sure what our LP guy can do. Im pretty sure he has some power to pursue and detain people.

I had to muse on this and well I have to come to the same conclusion I did when I initially saw this thread: Racial profiling and the prevalence of stereotypes in all it's forms seems to be intergrained into New York life in many avenues. What more can I really say?

Dispictable....

Makes me wonder: What progress did this country *really* make since the civil rights movement?

Come to think of it, I've been seeing a few of the workers in Whole Foods with True Religion jeans on, but there's look rather unkept and sloppy.  

Meant to say theirs...

On a side note though, it's hilarious that anyone would pay $300 for a Hermès belt. I wonder who got these thug types hooked on some of these brands. Burberry used to be the brand and had their items made in Italy, the UK or England, but most of their stuff is imported from China with some items from Italy, so you're paying an arm and a leg for sweatshop quality in some cases.

The affluent folks don't like everyone wearing what they wear, that's why when some brands become too popular, the name goes to pot.

Looks like it happened again...

Another black Barneys shopper accused of credit card fraud after buying $2,500 purse: claim Kayla Phillips, 21, says she was swarmed by four plainclothes cops after using her debit card to buy a $2,500 orange suede Céline bag. Her experience is eerily similar to that of Trayon Christian, 19, who filed a discrimination suit this week accusing Barneys and the NYPD of racial profiling.Comments (992) By Tina Moore AND Ginger Adams Otis / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 10:47 PM Updated: Thursday, October 24, 2013, 6:02 AM

Print
belt24n-1-web.jpg Aaron Showalter/New York Daily News  

Kayla Phillips, 21, was stopped by police in February at the 59th St. and Lexington Ave. subway station after purchasing a Céline handbag from Barneys at 61st St. and Madison Ave.

Four plainclothes cops accused a black woman of credit card fraud after the Brooklyn mom bought a $2,500 designer bag from Barneys — stoking a fresh round of outrage against the high-end store.

Kayla Phillips, 21, a nursing student from Canarsie, told the Daily News she had long coveted the orange suede Céline bag. Armed with a cash infusion from a tax return, she took her Bank of America debit card and headed to the Madison Ave. flagship store on Feb. 28.

Phillips made the purchase without incident but says she was surrounded by cops just three blocks away, at the Lexington Ave. and 59th St. subway station.

“There were three men and a woman,” she recalled. “Two of them attacked me and pushed me against a wall, and the other two appeared in front of me, blocking the turnstile.”

The cops started peppering her with questions and demanding to see her ID.

belt24n-3-web.jpg Aaron Showalter/New York Daily News Phillips says the four cops blocked the turnstile and began to pepper her with questions about what she was doing in Manhattan and how she could afford the bag.

“They were very rough,” said Phillips, who has filed a $5 million notice of claim with the city of her intention to sue the NYPD. “They kept asking me what I bought and saying, ‘Show us your card.’ I didn’t know what was happening.”

RELATED: HAMILL: IT'S BUSINESS AS USUAL FOR BARNEYS TO RACIALLY PROFILE

Phillips’ attorney, Kareem Vessup, says an additional civil rights lawsuit against the NYPD and Barneys is pending.

The 5 p.m. confrontation was eerily similar to a clash between cops and 19-year-old Trayon Christian, who filed a discrimination suit this week accusing Barneys and the NYPD of racially profiling him. Christian, who is black, alleged he was followed into the street by undercover cops and accused of fraud after he used his debit card to buy a $349 Ferragamo belt at Barneys on April 29.

The young Queens man was cuffed and taken to the 19th Precinct stationhouse, but released with no charges, his discrimination suit said.

celine-phantom-orange-suede-bag.jpg   Phillips, a nursing student from Canarsie, Brooklyn, told the Daily News she had long coveted the orange suede Céline bag.

Both Christian and Phillips were amazed at how quickly they were swarmed by police. A Barneys exec told Phillips’ mother, Wendy Elie, that store employees didn’t call police on her.

Elie told The News a security guard told her the store has law enforcement on patrol inside the store — part of an NYPD fraud task force. A source confirmed that undercover cops are periodically inside the store because of repeated fraud complaints.

Police said there were 53 grand larceny complaints for credit card fraud at the Madison Ave. store and more than 47 arrests. A racial breakdown of the suspects wasn’t immediately available.

RELATED: BARNEYS’ BLACK MARK

NYPD officials wouldn’t say whether there was a dedicated task force working at Barneys or other luxury retailers.

barneys-01.jpg Barneys via Facebook Barneys posted a reponse on Facebook.

Elie lashed out at Barneys, calling the store hypocritical for striking a business deal with Jay Z, the superstar black hip-hop artist, while targeting black shoppers.

“It’s not fair . . . the two individuals who have had these experiences listen to Jay Z and Beyoncé, who wear designer clothes. These kids also like nice things, and they were treated awfully,” Elie said.

Jay Z — in Oslo, Norway, on his Magna Carta tour — worked with major designers like Balenciaga to produce an exclusive limited edition line of clothes and jewelry for Barneys that will go on sale Nov. 20. The deluxe goods range from a Barneys cotton T-shirt for $70 to a Shawn Carter by Hublot watch with black alligator straps that will retail for an eye-popping $33,900.

A portion of Jay Z’s profits will go to a foundation he runs to give financial aid to students facing economic hardships — people like Phillips and Christian, who are both working their way through college. Calls and emails to Jay Z’s publicist were not returned Wednesday.

A Barneys spokesman said in a statement that the upscale store had carefully reviewed Christian’s incident.

belt24n-6-web.jpg Pearl Gabel/Pearl Gabel for New York Daily Trayon Christian, 19, filed a discrimination suit this week accusing Barneys and the NYPD of racially profiling him. Christian said he was followed by undercover cops and accused of fraud after buying a $349 Ferragamo belt at Barneys on April 29.

RELATED: BARNEYS ACCUSED ME OF STEALING BECAUSE I'M BLACK: TEEN

“It is clear that no employee of Barneys New York was involved in the pursuit of any action with the individual other than the sale . . . . We are very sorry that any customer of our store would have this experience,” the statement read.

That didn’t stop customers from panning the posh store on social media and vowing never to shop there again.

Patricia Gatling, who heads the city’s Human Rights Commission, said the allegations were outrageous for 2013.

“If true . . . (it) smacks of the same racism of the 1940s when my dad, a U.S. Army major who served in three wars as a pilot, tried to buy a car and was arrested because a black man should not have $5,000 in cash,” she said. “Had Mr. Christian come to the Commission on Human Rights, we would have vigorously prosecuted this case.”

receipt-01.jpg   The Barneys receipt for a Céline handbag purchased by Phillips. She used her Bank of America debit card for the luxury item.

Like Christian, Phillips used an ATM card to make her purchase. Including tax, the purse cost Phillips $2,504, according to a receipt obtained by The News.

“I had been looking for that purse in that color for a long time, and it was always out of stock,” said the young mom, who is pregnant with her second child.

RELATED: JAY Z, BARNEYS JOIN FORCES FOR HOLIDAY COLLECTION

Phillips was then working at Home Depot and had recently opened a bank account with Bank of America. She was using a temporary ATM card that didn’t have her name.

Her official ATM card had just arrived in the mail — and luckily she had it with her when the plainclothes cops nabbed her. The female detective, who was white, said Phillips, demanded to know where she lived and what she was doing in Manhattan.

belt24n-5-web.jpg Marcus Santos/New York Daily News A Barneys spokesman said in a statement that the upscale store had looked into Christian's incident, and that it was 'clear' that no Barneys employees were involved in any actions but the sale.

“They kept asking how I could afford this expensive bag and why had I paid for it with a card with no name on it,” said Phillips.

They also questioned her about the Chanel bag she was carrying, she said. She showed them a letter from Bank of America, saying she hadn’t activated her official card yet.

The detective took her card and started bending it, Phillips said.

“If you were a victim of identity theft, if someone was trying to use your hard-earned money, wouldn’t you want us to investigate?” she allegedly told Phillips, after the startled shopper asked why they stopped her.

Phillips, whose brother is an NYPD officer, knew enough to ask the detectives for their names and badges, she said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/black-barneys-shopper-accused-buying-2g-purse-article-1.1494855#ixzz2ig1YUaDA

What the f**k is wrong with this retailer?

a**holes....

waitaminute, why is the NYPD interogating these customers? I'm sure there are many Afro-Americans who are professionals and are making huge salaries, legitimately like anyone else and paying taxes.... they have no right to do so!

Just a quick 2 cents. It appears that the NYPD has some sort of undercover squad assigned to the "upscale" stores investigating fraud. I've heard of NYPD posting people in banks during a rash of robberies but I've never heard of them staking out something like Barneys. Are they scoping out Bloomingdale's and the like? Don't these private businesses have their own security ? At first glance this tactic, if true, seems to be a waste of NYC taxpayer's money and personnel.

I've heard similar, though it was to prevent the sale of counterfeit or otherwise fraudulent merchandise. At any rate I do see it as a waste of services that can be applied elsewhere.

Fat chance... This goes on daily in these stores, though usually not with the heat turned up this high, but part of the mystique with those stores is "exclusivity" and so the snobbiness will continue for sure.  It's not just minorities that are treated this way either.  Whites are too.  An ex-coworker of mine who was in her 20's at the time went into a high end store to look around and was interested in a purse.  A clerk came over and made some snide remark when she inquired about purchasing a handbag and basically told her that she couldn't afford it anyway. lol

What's funny about most of these clerks is most of them make peanuts.  There was a guy that worked in Saks that I would see regularly when I would shop there and I saw him on the ferry a few times (this was before I started taking the express bus so probably around 23 or so).  He lived in St. George.  Even the nicest part of St. George really aren't anything to write home about.  He was never snobby though, but it just goes to illustrate my point.  Only the ones that are high up usually earn nicely.   One clerk for example had a place on the Upper East Side but that isn't the norm for most of them, but it's all about the image.  They have to appear to be dazzled to the 9's working in a high-end place like Barneys or Saks, etc.

Me personally, I actually prefer shopping in high-end boutiques that cater to men.  They're just as pricey and you usually get far less attitude since they're smaller.

I'm not saying that this quote/unquote snobbishness towards the individual is going to cost the store or PD, rather the wrongful detention and arrest of the individual by PD, on the basis of false allegations from the retailer is.

This.

I work at Gap Outlet, and we are told not to pursue or engauge shoplifters. Just told to let them go and call the authorities.

Not sure what our LP guy can do. Im pretty sure he has some power to pursue and detain people.

Likely it isn't worth it. When you open the retailer to liability you also open yourself up to any liability. All in all it isn't worth it.

I had to muse on this and well I have to come to the same conclusion I did when I initially saw this thread: Racial profiling and the prevalence of stereotypes in all it's forms seems to be intergrained into New York life in many avenues. What more can I really say?

Dispictable....

Makes me wonder: What progress did this country *really* make since the civil rights movement?

It's the usual dude. Take solace in knowing some of the most open minded people in this country reside in New York City and other urban hubs. There will always be individuals casting hate for sure, but NYC and the area as a whole has made much more progress than other regions in the US.

It's the usual dude. Take solace in knowing some of the most open minded people in this country reside in New York City and other urban hubs. There will always be individuals casting hate for sure, but NYC and the area as a whole has made much more progress than other regions in the US.

I hear you but also living in the southern states I actually met much more openminded local people, many of them actually being white second, third generation americans and so forth. The fact is that the divide between the economic classes is widening in New York and the racism is going along with it. Studies proved it. Its worse then any other city in the nation. Fact.

Makes me very disconcerted  pissed to no end as a native of the Big Apple.

Pardon the typos, hence the edits, I am seriously offended with the incidents occuring as reported in the news. Disgusting.... might as well reinstate apartheid. Racist fools...

It happened again? I don't see what in f**k is their prerogative though I have a feeling this will be more detrimental to business than anything else.

I hear you but also living in the southern states I actually met much more openminded local people, many of them actually being white second, third generation americans and so forth. The fact is that the divide between the economic classes is widening in New York and the racism is going along with it. Studies proved it. Its worse then any other city in the nation. Fact.

Makes me very disconcerted  pissed to no end as a native of the Big Apple.

Pardon the typos, hence the edits, I am really pissed the f**k off at these incidents that is being reported here. I dont see any better way to explain my feelings on this bullshit.

I wouldn't know then to be honest. One would think being in a area of many cultures would prove otherwise, though there is evidence of segregation of racial groups, which ultimately leads to other ramifications in the process.

Shifting to the topic, yeah, I'm honestly left in a state of dismay. I'll hold from further comment.

Phillips was then working at Home Depot and had recently opened a bank account with Bank of America. She was using a temporary ATM card that didn’t have her name.

Her official ATM card had just arrived in the mail — and luckily she had it with her when the plainclothes cops nabbed her. The female detective, who was white, said Phillips, demanded to know where she lived and what she was doing in Manhattan.

Interesting. 

This latest one I can understand.  Those temporary ATM cards would certainly raise suspicion.  I've had those when I was waiting for new bank cards and I would never go and make large purchases with that.  Thinking about this further, I can understand why they were stopped.  For a purchase that large ($2,500 and change), most people at luxury stores DO NOT use ATM cards.  It's foolish to do so.  Usually you use a charge card or a credit card, but not a bank card because if you need to dispute the charge, the charge is treated differently when its an ATM card vs a credit or charge card.  When you dispute a charge made with an ATM card, it's YOUR money.  When you dispute the charge with a credit or charge card, it is the BANK's money.  

This is probably why both of them were stopped.  They made rather expensive purchases with an ATM card, walked out and then headed straight to the train station, something a criminal would usually do if they're trying to get away fast.

@Trainmaster I think I understand exactly what the NYPD ia doing.  There have been a lot of folks going around with credit card skimmers. It's becoming more and more common.  That's why I'm very careful when I go out to eat and use specific cards for specific purchases because that's how they can clone your card.  They can take an old ordinary card, swipe your card onto the reader and then swipe a blank card and upload that info onto the card.  If it's someone's bank card, well then you could score nicely and they may not know until the see random charges.  

I suspect that the NYPD has been staking out places like Barneys and the like because when these individuals skim the cards, they'll usually go out and make large purchases, sometimes to test the card and see if it works and then move on.  The patterns of these two individuals unfortunately are similar to stories that I've heard skimmers do, so in short, this could very well be the fault of the NYPD and them trying to clamp down on these sorts of crimes.  That's why they were checking her ATM card and bending it and so on.

Wait, I thought this was about the purple dinosaur.... Then I heard about this on the news, being about that barney's new york place....

Screw this, I'm gonna give a different viewpoint on this crap....

You get these broads that blow their whole checks on high end fashion/apparel, hair, lingerie, etc... But can barely put enough food on the goddamn table & have their kid(s) walkin around here doing without, lookin destitute as f***.... And this place here is racially discriminating 2 black females (say what ya want, but there is nothin masculine about that Crayon Trayon dude) when you got these SOB's right where you want them.....

Koreans in general can't stand black ppl's guts, yet they got hair care places all up in dominantly black neighborhoods.... Where's the racial discrimination from them? Won't see it happen, because they're not that f'n stupid! Siphoning MILLIONS of dollars out of the black collective (aint no community), and you get 2 instances of racism from this Barney's place.... Real Bright.

I'm not up on these high end ass fashion stores, but you can bet the next high-end white-washed establishment of sorts will GLADLY accept GREEN from this wave of black women & fashionista type, estrogen-dominant ass dudes roaming around here.... There's racism & there is just plain ole everyday stupidity..... Good job Barney's, you've displayed both......

As far as NYPD involvement, they're targeting places like this in manhattan... I've really started noticing it since like the past 2 yrs. or so just walkin out & about...... Not only are they there for the "protection" of the high-end businesses/owners, but also for the WHITE consumers of these same businesses.... Kinda reminds me of this YT video I was watchin (of someone who's vids I normally listen to), where he said there was this old ass white woman in chicago that lied & said she got jacked by some black man in Chicago along what they call the magnifcient mile up there (guess it's supposed be their version of park av, I don't know).... then it became a black woman or somethin another... then she fessed up & said she wasn't robbed.... Don't remember what particular store it was though....

On a side note though, it's hilarious that anyone would pay $300 for a Hermès belt. I wonder who got these thug types hooked on some of these brands. Burberry used to be the brand and had their items made in Italy, the UK or England, but most of their stuff is imported from China with some items from Italy, so you're paying an arm and a leg for sweatshop quality in some cases.

That's an easy answer....

Their single mothers who raised them, or their friend-girls, or girlfriends who were also raised by single mothers - the ones w/ NO male guidance or role model whatsoever.... Fashionista ass MF-ers..... If you don't have these pant saggin ass clowns out here, it's these fashionista ass dudes out here who are goin hard in the paint a] being in tune with & b] actually buying shit that women yearn to..... Any dude that talks about fashion more than any woman does, I don't wanna be anywhere near.....

It's gonna come to a point where dudes are buying make-up & shit.... Talking bout what shade of brown goes with they ashy ass face & mustache.....

I will have to make a point that for many people in New York City that likes or are outright stupid enough to relish in lies where it comes to racial stereotypes (not directed at anyone on this site don't get me wrong) that first 1) Not all Afro-Americans are irresponsible enough to purchase items that they cannot afford, and 2) Not all credit card scammers are Afro-American, and 3) Many Afro-Americans are indeed of the upper middle class and are perfectly entitled to purchase at high end retail or speciality stores as as much as the next white or Asian man or woman of the same economic class!

Somebody needs to give these people at Barney's a friggin clue!

Note that I havent seen too many sensational stories concerning whites or Asians being chased by cops or questioned sales associates for credit card fraud as of late and I dont think it's simply because of a percieved disappropriate rate of crime based on race where it comes to this sort of offense. Perhaps someone can edify me because it makes no sense to me otherwise other than the fact that this is clearly racial profiling, which is typical in the Big Apple. Plain and simple.

I will have to make a point that for many people in New York City that likes or are outright stupid enough to relish in lies where it comes to racial stereotypes (not directed at anyone on this site don't get me wrong) that first 1) Not all Afro-Americans are irresponsible enough to purchase items that they cannot afford, and 2) Not all credit card scammers are Afro-American, and 3) Many Afro-Americans are indeed of the upper middle class and are perfectly entitled to purchase at high end retail or speciality stores as as much as the next white or Asian man or woman of the same economic class!

Somebody needs to give these people at Barney's a friggin clue!

Note that I havent seen too many sensational stories concerning whites or Asians being chased by cops or questioned sales associates for credit card fraud as of late and I dont think it's simply because of a percieved disappropriate rate of crime based on race where it comes to this sort of offense. Perhaps someone can edify me because it makes no sense to me otherwise other than the fact that this is clearly racial profiling, which is typical in the Big Apple. Plain and simple.

You should see it here... In some cases its unoffical segregation at times... With the City's attitude towards minority (not just afro-american) neighboorhoods being poor, underdeveloped and underserved. And the media reports bands of afro-american kids running around in rich Chicago neighboorhoods robbing , shooting and beating people up. But you never hear about the whites...

(I'm white btw but I am very much against this racial bias)

However, out where I live, Aurora (states second biggest city) has been gentrified in a weird way by latinos/hispanics. And its been great for the city.. crime has dropped and murders were 0 last year.... 10 years ago aurora had 23 murders a year, same as 2012 in Chciago per 100k people.

You should see it here... In some cases its unoffical segregation at times... With the City's attitude towards minority (not just afro-american) neighboorhoods being poor, underdeveloped and underserved. And the media reports bands of afro-american kids running around in rich Chicago neighboorhoods robbing , shooting and beating people up. But you never hear about the whites...

However, out where I live, Aurora (states second biggest city) has been gentrified in a weird way by latinos/hispanics. And its been great for the city.. crime has dropped and murders were 0 last year.... 10 years ago aurora had 23 murders a year, same as 2012 in Chciago per 100k people.

I've heard about the problems within Chicago which is very similar to what we are experiencing in New York. Many collegues had, upon my ideas that I threw out there about considering a hypothetical move to Chicago, told me that the tensions are pretty bad in the Windy City.

=======================================

Residential segregation has risen in 27 of America's 30 largest cities over the past several decades. Middle class income neighborhoods has declined dramatically during this period of time and there does not seem to be as much in the least a middle ground as it once was.

New York City ranks third on the problem of residential segregation, after Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Los Angeles. This continuing trend is very alarming.

It's sad. Many of our cities are becoming much more increasingly diverse in terms of nationality and ethnicity but they are becoming more divided by class.

I hear you. Mass media is making Chicago seem like that the next Detroit. This is no accident as most commercial mainstream news media is tailored to broadcast in a manner which projects crimes and other miscellaneous acts by minorities to be worse and more common that they actually are. As such perception reflects that with some of the attitudes you see.

On a side note that is really great news for Aurora. Hopefully the metro area as a whole can soon rebound, one way or another.

I've heard about the problems within Chicago which is very similar to what we are experiencing in New York. Many collegues had, upon my ideas that I threw out there about considering a hypothetical move to Chicago, told me that the tensions are pretty bad in the Windy City.

=======================================

Residential segregation has risen in 27 of America's 30 largest cities over the past several decades. Middle class income neighborhoods has declined dramatically during this period of time and there does not seem to be as much in the least a middle ground as it once was.

New York City ranks third on the problem of residential segregation, after Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Los Angeles. This continuing trend is very alarming.

It's sad. Many of our cities are becoming much more increasingly diverse in terms of nationality and ethnicity but they are becoming more divided by class.

I wouldn't let that dissuade you from a potential visit/move to here.

Compared to where I used to live in MA, I've had so much oppertunity and experience here. I dont think i would have gotten any of the educational and work experiences here in MA.

Having said that, we are in a weird economic decline in many sectors, with taxes rising, corruption rampant and jobs moving across to neighbooring states... Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin. 

For my field (urban planning) , prospects are iffy. I would love to stay here and get my masters, but I'm 100% willing to leave if I can't find stable work.

Sorry for getting off topic there, just wanted to throw that in.

I hear you. Mass media is making Chicago seem like that the next Detroit. This is no accident as most commercial mainstream news media is tailored to broadcast in a manner which projects crimes and other miscellaneous acts by minorities to be worse and more common that they actually are. As such perception reflects that with some of the attitudes you see.

On a side note that is really great news for Aurora. Hopefully the metro area as a whole can soon rebound, one way or another.

In some ways the violence is true. We do have a gun problem.. and we do have problems with youth. However, compared to some of the places I have been to in the world, people have it good here. I don't think those who live in the southside would like to switch places with some on living in the city dump in Managua , Nicaragua.

But I feel guilty at times, living in an outer suburb, "removed" (not fullly- we have murders/crime, etc) from the problems of the city. 

Interms of the metro area rebounding, its going to take some major change for that to happen. We continue to shrink, but thankfully not at a Detroit rate. We have lots of positive things here, but they keep getting muddled down in the politics and false promises/

I honestly envy NYC and how it has taken the initiative to solve some of its problems. Yeah, Bloomburg has gone off the deep end with some of his policies, but your public housing system blows ours out of the water (cabrini green anyone?). Also, I see major steps being taken in terms of infrastructure and development, programs I wish we could have here.

Getting back on topic, in order for there to be major change in stereotypes, there must be a major change of attitudes towards race. We are all the same people, race is just a social category (vs a biological one). Its sad, I feel like there has been talk about how far the civil rights movement has come, but It seems like nothing has changed.

This latest one I can understand.  Those temporary ATM cards would certainly raise suspicion.  I've had those when I was waiting for new bank cards and I would never go and make large purchases with that.  Thinking about this further, I can understand why they were stopped.  For a purchase that large ($2,500 and change), most people at luxury stores DO NOT use ATM cards.  It's foolish to do so.  Usually you use a charge card or a credit card, but not a bank card because if you need to dispute the charge, the charge is treated differently when its an ATM card vs a credit or charge card.  When you dispute a charge made with an ATM card, it's YOUR money.  When you dispute the charge with a credit or charge card, it is the BANK's money.  

This is probably why both of them were stopped.  They made rather expensive purchases with an ATM card, walked out and then headed straight to the train station, something a criminal would usually do if they're trying to get away fast.

@Trainmaster I think I understand exactly what the NYPD ia doing.  There have been a lot of folks going around with credit card skimmers. It's becoming more and more common.  That's why I'm very careful when I go out to eat and use specific cards for specific purchases because that's how they can clone your card.  They can take an old ordinary card, swipe your card onto the reader and then swipe a blank card and upload that info onto the card.  If it's someone's bank card, well then you could score nicely and they may not know until the see random charges.  

I suspect that the NYPD has been staking out places like Barneys and the like because when these individuals skim the cards, they'll usually go out and make large purchases, sometimes to test the card and see if it works and then move on.  The patterns of these two individuals unfortunately are similar to stories that I've heard skimmers do, so in short, this could very well be the fault of the NYPD and them trying to clamp down on these sorts of crimes.  That's why they were checking her ATM card and bending it and so on.

In terms of using a debit card, I have had skimmers in my store. However, for the woman in the story, I'm glad that she paid for it with a debit card vs racking up credit card debt. I am very antidebt (yes I will have to take some on later on), and it makes me glad that even though that bag was unnecessary in my opinion, it was saved up for and not put on credit. 

They could have ran it as credit maybe too, that would have caused less suspicion? Who knows.

In terms of using a debit card, I have had skimmers in my store. However, for the woman in the story, I'm glad that she paid for it with a debit card vs racking up credit card debt. I am very antidebt (yes I will have to take some on later on), and it makes me glad that even though that bag was unnecessary in my opinion, it was saved up for and not put on credit. 

They could have ran it as credit maybe too, that would have caused less suspicion? Who knows.

I'm thinking it was saved up for because she couldn't get a credit card to begin with.  lol

Hey, it's hard to begin with. I had to exaggerate my income before I was approved for one.

Credit card companies don't give out credit cards the way that they used to.  When I was in college, they would literally come on to the campus to recruit you.  Hell I had three credit cards and I was still in college.  I kid you not.  Now you need to have some sort of credit history which of course most kids aren't going to have since they usually aren't working regularly.  What some parents do now is put them on their credit which allows the kids to establish credit assuming that the parents have good credit to begin with.

Wait, I thought this was about the purple dinosaur.... Then I heard about this on the news, being about that barney's new york place....

Screw this, I'm gonna give a different viewpoint on this crap....

You get these broads that blow their whole checks on high end fashion/apparel, hair, lingerie, etc... But can barely put enough food on the goddamn table & have their kid(s) walkin around here doing without, lookin destitute as f***.... And this place here is racially discriminating 2 black females (say what ya want, but there is nothin masculine about that Crayon Trayon dude) when you got these SOB's right where you want them.....

Koreans in general can't stand black ppl's guts, yet they got hair care places all up in dominantly black neighborhoods.... Where's the racial discrimination from them? Won't see it happen, because they're not that f'n stupid! Siphoning MILLIONS of dollars out of the black collective (aint no community), and you get 2 instances of racism from this Barney's place.... Real Bright.

I'm not up on these high end ass fashion stores, but you can bet the next high-end white-washed establishment of sorts will GLADLY accept GREEN from this wave of black women & fashionista type, estrogen-dominant ass dudes roaming around here.... There's racism & there is just plain ole everyday stupidity..... Good job Barney's, you've displayed both......

As far as NYPD involvement, they're targeting places like this in manhattan... I've really started noticing it since like the past 2 yrs. or so just walkin out & about...... Not only are they there for the "protection" of the high-end businesses/owners, but also for the WHITE consumers of these same businesses.... Kinda reminds me of this YT video I was watchin (of someone who's vids I normally listen to), where he said there was this old ass white woman in chicago that lied & said she got jacked by some black man in Chicago along what they call the magnifcient mile up there (guess it's supposed be their version of park av, I don't know).... then it became a black woman or somethin another... then she fessed up & said she wasn't robbed.... Don't remember what particular store it was though....

That's an easy answer....

Their single mothers who raised them, or their friend-girls, or girlfriends who were also raised by single mothers - the ones w/ NO male guidance or role model whatsoever.... Fashionista ass MF-ers..... If you don't have these pant saggin ass clowns out here, it's these fashionista ass dudes out here who are goin hard in the paint a] being in tune with & b] actually buying shit that women yearn to..... Any dude that talks about fashion more than any woman does, I don't wanna be anywhere near.....

It's gonna come to a point where dudes are buying make-up & shit.... Talking bout what shade of brown goes with they ashy ass face & mustache.....

I think it's just a self-esteem issue. I mean on the weekends, I'm perfectly happy with just a plain inexpensive American made t-shirt and a straight leg jeans. The name isn't important.  I just don't like the sweat shop stuff, but I'm not all opposed to inexpensive clothing that aren't the big names.  It's all about the fit.  Most of the stuff that I have doesn't have the name of what I'm wearing shown because aside from on the inside because I'm not out there advertising for anyone.  Whatever I wear is my business and no one else's.  When Burberry became "popular" years ago, all of the folks that would wear it because it was exclusive just stopped, including me.  I had a few dress shirts of theirs from Saks and some piqué shirts from Bloomies for the weekends.  I knew some folks were wearing knock-offs, but still.  I don't like the idea seeing a particular brand that I wear plastered all about. I went and bought some plain piqué shirts that were cut just as nice and American made for probably half the price. lol  Some folks aren't used to nice things so they have to "advertise" to make themselves look big. lol

Archived