What Would You Do

Justin08

Hey guys was looking for some advise from guys on the inside. I'm starting schoolcar on Nov 18th only another week and I've been going back and forth on which div to pick. My situation is i'm staying with a buddy in CT for a few months and am going to take the metro north in from CT so I was considering the A Div since most yards are in the bronx. But now I might be renting a friends apt in Edgewater NJ this summer since hell be away all summer. I just don't want to rent a apt yet while I'm on probation.

Basically I'm lookn at the A Div as a simplier system with 7 lines and 2 trains but the B Div more time in training which means less on probation. Can guys who have gone through schoolcar in each Div let me know how the schedule works as far as reporting times go for schoolcar. My only concern with the B Div would be coming from CT and having to report to say CI for 4am if schoolcar reports at that time??

Also I could even rent a hotel for a week as long as you know ahead of time say for the week where you'll be or road posting this was the stuff I wasn't sure off.

And for guys that have been through schoolcar is the B Div that much harder than the A?? I hear that the A is easier for lineups signals etc??

Eventually whatever Div I get into ill be getn a place centrally located once off probation. Thanks a ton for any advise guys much appreciated

Pick a division that you want and rent a room somewhere close to major train lines in that division. Probation is going to last a year, I wouldn't wait that long to get settled in to rent an apartment. You should rent an apartment when you start your 3 months in the yard if they are still doing that with you guys. Probation is probation no matter what division you are in so dont think you will be safe and secure just because B division training is longer and you wont be on the road as much during your probation. If you are going to be timid and nervous of making mistakes, the job is going to eat you up alive and you definitely dont want people to see that. Pay attention to what your instructors teach you, read your books and do what you are supposed to do the way they teach you to do it and you wont have to worry about counting down days of probation.

The B division is more difficult and longer in training than the A division. And from what I am told from people who switched from B to A, the B is not as much of a team or family type of environment. You are not guaranteed a choice in picking divisions, especially if you have a lot people ahead of you with a lower list number than you. The B division fills up very fast.

School car hours are usually divided up into classes taking starting at 07:30 - 15:30 and night classes of 15:00 to 23:00.

You need to realize that once you are out of school car,out of the yard program and are road qualified, in revenue service as extra extra, your hours will change drastically week to week. You could be reporting at 5 am and then get switched up to report at 23:00. You will have to work all holidays, Christmas, Hanukah, New Years, ThanksGiving, etc. And you wont get a shot at getting Sundays and Saturdays as regular days off until you've been working down here for at least 10 years. You have days off that are earned and accrued if you save your overtime instead of cashing it out. But if you try to call in sick when you dont have any to use, and on holidays, weekends or even make a habit of doing it often, you are going to get yourself into a lot of trouble. They will even come to your residence and make sure you are home sick the days you call out sick if you are on the sick control list. Same thing with arriving late, you need to be early every day.

You are expected to be sharp and on point. NYCTA does not employ children. If you are not mature and adult minded you are not going to last. It has been referred to as being run like a para-military style organization. You are responsible for moving 50,000 pound pieces of heavy equipment with thousands of peoples lives in your hands everyday so you will be expected to perform accordingly. With all of the problems going on with newly hired people, and past accidents, the MTA will not hesitate to let you go. It is not up to them to want you to succeed, you have to want it bad enough.

You are going to hear this from people over and over during your training. You need to get proper sleep and rest. You start nodding off and you are going to be in a world of hurt for that whole shift. It is going to be torture to fight to stay awake.

Do you want the job that bad and are you willing sacrifice your current way of life?

They will even come to your residence and make sure you are home sick the days you call out sick if you are on the sick control list.

I'm not a NYC Transit employee, however my father worked for them for 39 years. One or two times he called in sick, and I remember a NYC Transit car pulling up in front of our residence making sure that he was home sick. Even he moved an automobile outside for me to work on (one of the tires went flat), and if Transit personnel caught him even doing that, he would be in a lot of trouble!

Archived