Cuomo Vetoes Two MTA Bills

Turbo19

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Thursday vetoed bills that would order the MTA to hold more hearings before raising fares and place public transportation funds in a "lock box" that couldn't be tapped for other government functions.

Cuomo called the measures unnecessary and restrictive, but backers said his vetoes would limit commuter input about MTA policies and endanger transit funding.

State Sen. Charles Fuschillo Jr. (R-Merrick) sponsored the measure that would have compelled the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to hold a hearing in every county affected by any proposed fare, toll or service change. He said Cuomo was "wrong" to nix a measure that would have given the public more input into MTA operations.

"When it considered the most recent fare increase proposal in the fall of 2012, the MTA held public forums in different areas of the MTA region, but there were several counties in which no public hearing was held, even though residents of those counties were directly impacted by the MTA changes," Fuschillo said in a statement. "The MTA also holds simultaneous hearings in different counties, thereby preventing all the board members from being present at all hearings."

In an interview, Fuschillo said, "The whole purpose of the bill was to bring transparency to the fare process."

The MTA serves 12 counties in the downstate region.

Read More: Source

Cuomo doesn't care  he's probably much different then his daddy was when he was governor about the  (MTA)  i hope they override his vetoes especially on the lock box bill

If the MTA does a good job, he jumps out for the credit.

THE TRUTH! cause anytime the mta does something.. the leading words in an  (MTA)  press release is

Governor Cuomo announces that the mta..... 

In agreement with the both of you.

Now, a certain someone knows I've been an a**hole to him because he states Cuomo went out of his way to make improvements, and I disagree completely. For the record I'm going out of my way to say that this isn't improving my perception of Cuomo at all.

Cuomo doesn't actually give a damn about the MTA. If the MTA does a good job, he jumps out for the credit.

It's the same thing here with NJT and Chris Christie. NJT press releases always give him credit for all their improvements. "Christie Administration Expands MyTix" or "Christie Administration Expands MyBusNow" (BusTime). Probably other places are like that too.

Archived